Sore muscles

Options
I have just started lifting. I do upper body one day and then lower body the next and always give myself an extra day or so in between if I am really sore. I don't think I am overdoing it as I am just getting fatigued as I hit my last rep.
The next day I am always sore to the point that I can't do cardio or yoga (other activities are fine). Will this get better? Is it always going to be like this if I want to challenge myself or will I get to a point that I am still getting a good lifting workout in and can take a yoga class or go for a run the next day?

Replies

• Red_Sparrow
    Options
    Yep, it gets better! You could also try increasing your protein intake if you haven't already, and be sure you're getting good post-workout nutrition that includes a protein and a carb source.
  • sgtbrown
    sgtbrown Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I agree with Red_Sparrow. Try drinking a protein shake/ drink within 30-45 minutes following your workout. I drink a product called "Body Fortress" which can be purchased just about anywhere in powder form. My wife drinks P90X Results and Recovery. Enjoy your workouts, and don't get discouraged by the soreness. It will get better as your body adapts to the shock it is getting from waking those muscles up.
  • anna1m
    anna1m Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Glad to hear I will not be sore for the rest of my life!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I love being sore. Ok, I don't really LOVE it, but it tells you that you're doing something right. ;)
  • firetruck89
    Options
    If you want you can take L-glutamine after a workout, its an amino acid essential to accelerating recovery between workouts, increasing lean muscle mass and improving immune function.

DOMS, you'll be more sore the second day than the first. As sore as you may be, keep moving it'll help your recovery.