If you had only one piece of advice...

Options
Or what was the biggest thing that helped you lose weight?

So many people ask me this and I don't know how to answer. How do I sum up over a year of completely changing everything in my life, into one catch-phrase about how I lost my weight? Need some input on how you guys respond. I want to inspire people, not bore them to death...

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. The one thing that has given me the greatest benefit aesthetically, emotionally, and health wise, more then losing weight, cardio, or eating healthy, is lifting heavy. Even though it wasn't my thing at first and I was the dancer girl who wanted nothing to do with lifting because I didn't have a clue how and because of so many stigmas and misconceptions about lifting that the majority of people seem to have. I tried the rest first and it never helped me accomplish the flat tummy I have now :) I really wish I could get through to the people who think they'll end up looking manly. I hardly think I did.
    IMG_5602.JPG
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Cut out all soda. That is what has helped me the most.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Simple answer for me, realizing that i could make myself into any shape i wanted to. People don't understand that they control how they are going to look. Thats only half of it. Problem is you can't tell someone how good it feels to be in shape, they have to experience it themselves. If it was easy it would mean so much.
  • Junie2013
    Options
    I would say the key for me is to make 1 change at a time. I have always been one to dive into things and go overboard. This time, I started with just logging. When I got a handle on that, I started trying to hit my calorie goal. Next, I stopped having wine every day. Now I am working on hitting my macros.

This has been absolutely key for me. I've never approached it this way before, but I was inspired by the quote "If you want something you've never had, you have to do something you've never done."

I recommend this approach to anyone who has an "all or nothing" tendency. It's a good way to break yourself of that. It's also a good way to get started when you feel stuck and lack motivation to begin. Start logging and the momentum starts to build.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Take responsibility for your health & fitness, so you do not become a burden to yourself, family , friends or the health care industry.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Take responsibility for your health & fitness, so you do not become a burden to yourself, family , friends or the health care industry.
    This wins so far. Now that is something that hits the spot.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options

You and me both even if it is upstream sometimes,too.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It's a mind thing as much as it's about diet and exercise.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Best advice I have is: log every bite, and move more.
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Remember this is chaning your life forever, not just for right now.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Strive for balance in everything you do
  • GBPack93
    Options
    No matter how out of shape/overweight you are, or no matter how fit you think you are, you can ALWAYS be better.
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    It took years to get into the shape you are in, and it may take years to get out, so be patient. :)
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    focused perseverance with nutrition & exercise..bottom line...:flowerforyou:
  • SucculentGoddess
    SucculentGoddess Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Drink more water!!

I know that most of my hunger pangs were now what i recognise to be thirst
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes, it takes dedication to make lasting changes. There are so many days that I don't want to go to the gym or eat healthy, but I do it because I've made a commitment to myself.
  • kittiesandfarts
    kittiesandfarts Posts: 101 Member
    Options

You and me both even if it is upstream sometimes,too.

Yup, ya just gotta keep at it. Even if you fall off the wagon you just have to get back on. It's all mental for me.
  • Alwayssohungry
    Alwayssohungry Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Slow & Steady
    Don't fall for the fads
    Plan for the long term
    and most important Learn portion sizes
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Focus on progress, not perfection.