Sugar help, please

Options
Hi there. I have been using MFP for a couple of weeks and think it is great. I am doing pretty well both with calorie intake and with nutritional goals EXCEPT FOR SUGAR. I cannot get anywhere near the goal for sugar intake and, having reviewed what I have been eating, can't see how it will be possible. The main things which are contributing to my sugar inatke are fresh fruit and natural yoghurt. The only dairy I can eat is yoghurt so I have a small pot of natural yoghurt every day (I am at an age where this is recommended to reduce the risk of osteoporosis). Here in the UK, we are told we should have at least five portions of fruit & veg every day. I generally manage 4 fruits and two veg (I love fruit). Even if I cut down to 2 fruits per day, I wouldn't meet the sugar goal.

Does anyone else struggle with this? How feasible is it to stay within this target and still eat healthily (I do have a sweet tooth and worry that if I don't eat fruit, I will start binging on chocolate again).

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, do not stress about it.
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    I decided a while ago that sugar intake wasn't ever going to be where it should be. As long as you are eating fruits, and not just drinking fruit juice, you should be fine. Here is one article I like about it because it sums it up pretty nicely:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/29/fruit-sugar-versus-white-sugar_n_3497795.html
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I'm under on all non-cheat meal days... Feel free to look at my diary. The short story is I have ONLY one piece of fruit a day, lots of veg, no processed foods and read labels before purchasing anything. Some say it doesn't matter but I think it does so if it is important to your just continue to review your jornal for items you are logging that are high in sugar and switch to an alternative that is lower.
  • wytchlingmouse
    wytchlingmouse Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been diagnosed with diabetes, I'm not sure it's something over which to worry. I, too, find the sugar goal a bit unfeasible. One piece of information I read in a diabetes prevention book said that while controlling the intake amount of sugars is important it is also imperative that the rate of absorption be slowed. The book suggested that eating a small amount of raw nuts with fruit helped to slow the rate of absorption. Additionally, both my parents spent several weeks at a diabetes clinic and the rule of fruit consumption there was fruit in the morning/early afternoon coupled with protein (to slow the absorption) was fine, but fruit in the evening was not eaten. This is one approach that seems successful for some people.
  • atiana19
    atiana19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    In my opinion as long as you are exercising you will convert the small amount of excess sugar to fuel for your workouts..you should be fine. as long as its fruit based sugar
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options

THIS x2

Also, if it is natural sugars I wouldn't stress about it either. For some reason your body can process natural sugars better than the artificial stuff you find in junk good. Plus, MFP really sets the amount of sugar low.
  • asundeen88
    asundeen88 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I posted something similar last night. I'd gone way over my sugar limits every day and I cut out all sugar (which was just honey used to sweeten my oatmeal and tea) except for fruit and it was still way over. I received some good advice and let's just say I will not be cutting the fruit and yogurt from my diet and am no longer worried about it.
  • Flubbermum
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies which I have read along with replies to similar queries (looks like I wasn't the only ine having trouble with htis). Having thought about it, I have decided that (while I have the utmost admiration for those who are staying within the sugar limit), I will continue to enjoy my fruit but try to cut down on added sugar: my main aim is to get lighter, fitter and healthier and if I go over the MFP limit, then so be it.