Getting In Shape Before Pregnancy - anyone else?

Options
Hello :) Just wondering if there's any other ladies that are wanting to get in shape/more healthy before trying to get pregnant?

My husband and I already have a 2 year old, but we're holding off on #2 as I would like to lose some weight first. I was hoping to find other ladies in a similar situation for some group support :)

Replies

• cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi Cecillia! Way to have your head on straight heading into such a big physical task! Your attitude is awesome, and what a great motivator when those workouts get tough :)

I'm in the same boat, but with a slightly more complicated back story. I was diagnosed with a partial molar pregnancy at 12 weeks gestation three months ago. I had to have surgery, and have been monitored to make sure my hCG levels went down to zero on their own (partial molar pregnancy creates a rapidly growing tumor that can become cancerous, so my risk of getting cancer in the next year is elevated). I felt totally out of control of the situation and my health, so 2 weeks after my surgery, I threw myself into a diet/exercise regimen. It was possibly the best decision I could have ever made- both mentally and physically.

We can't try again until I've been clear for 6 months, which puts me square at my due date of January 7th 2014. So I'm taking this time to get as fit as I can, so when we (hopefully) get pregnant again, I'll be able to be a lot more active than I was this first time. This experience has been really hard, but I think in a way it's giving me a second chance to have a happier, healthier pregnancy than I would have had if my first had continued on.

I follow a mostly-vegan, 100% vegetarian diet and am doing C25K and Body Revolution. Feel free to add me! :)
  • italianshawtee
    Options
    Hey Cecillia, we are in the same boat :( I have been recently diagnosed with pcos .. but have had weird cycles and experienced problems all my life .. Now my husband and I are going to embark on our fertility journey in order to have our first child .. I too want to make my body a temple and become healthier in order to support life :)

Please feel free to add me <3 xoxo
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    I tried that before getting pregnant with my 4 year old daughter, but as soon as I lost the first 10 pounds I got pregnant LOL. I don't know if my husband found me hotter or if losing the weight helped with fertility.
  • tinakaur
    Options
    My husband and I want to have kids. This is the biggest I have ever been and I feel I need to lose weight I order to go thru that. The doctor said to at least lose 10 pounds but I am hoping to lose 40lb before we start. Lets see what happens!!
  • StephanieL14
    StephanieL14 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm also prepping to get pregnant for the first time! I went off the pill a month ago and seemed to lose a bit right away. I'm hoping to keep the momentum going and lose another 10. I've also been diagnosed with PCOS which may make it a bit challenging.
  • CecilliaMarie
    CecilliaMarie Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yay! Welcome ladies!! I'm glad I found some other women going through the similar situation :)

What are your diet & exercise habits like?

I actually have a pretty healthy diet I think. I'm gluten free and mostly dairy free . . no beef, no soda, etc. I eat a lot of fruit for breakfast, salad or tuna & veggies for lunch, and chicken with grilled veggies, stir fry, etc for dinner.

My problem is my exercise. I feel like I really have to try hard to even set 30 minutes a day aside to do it. It's something I definitely plan on starting with today :)
  • StephanieL14
    StephanieL14 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My goal lately is 45 minutes of exercise most days. I have an elliptical and also do yoga sometimes. I've been golfing a lot through the summer, walking not riding! I also play soccer once a week. I've been thinking about doing 30 Day Shred again. I did it years ago and enjoyed it.

For diet, I've been trying to add more veggies and cut out the junk. It can use some work still! I think my diary is public if you want to look.
  • JECope13
    Options
    I am in the exact same position. I have a 13 month old and told my husband I am not getting pregnant again until I lose all this baby weight! I gained 60 lbs with my first and lost 42. For some reason I cannot get the rest off! I work out like crazy but could definitely be stricter with my diet.