Meal Idea Help Please!!

Options
Im eating around 1500 calories a day, (My maximum calorie intake is 1700 daily, which im having no problems staying under) but im running out of meal ideas that aren't expensive. Im still eating foods like chicken curry, without rice, Fajita's, spaghetti bolognaise, with quorn mince but im just repeating these meals.
Does anyone have any meal suggestions please.

Thank you Alex

Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I check my friends' diary for the day to see what they eat - helps me with suggestions. I usually eat what my son eats - just change the portion size. I tend to repeat meals but I am trying to get in the habit of eating for nourishment, not enjoyment. In other words, trying to stop the emotional eating.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Common meals I make are:

Turkey stirfry
    Fish (salmon or white fish depending how many cals you have) with sweet potato wedges & broccoli cheese
    Risotto
    Omlette & baked beans
  • alexl2745
    Options
    Thank you both, I only have a couple friends and their diaries are private so hopefully i can get some more friends soon and see what works for them :)

Ooo lovely, The fish, sweet potato wedges and broccoli cheese sounds yummy :)

Thank you :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you both, I only have a couple friends and their diaries are private so hopefully i can get some more friends soon and see what works for them :)

Ooo lovely, The fish, sweet potato wedges and broccoli cheese sounds yummy :)

Thank you :)

I see you're in the uk, it's Morrisons broccoli cheese, really nice!
  • alexl2745
    Options
    Ooo ok, i'm actually going to Morrisons tomorrow so ill have a look. Thank you :)
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What about roast chicken with a marinade and your favorite veggies? Beans and rice and whole wheat pasta are inexpensive. You can always get a cookbook with healthy recipes or sign up for free recipes online.
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts baked with 98% fat free cream of chicken soup over rice is yummy especially with a side of broccoli or green beans. I make these unstuffed cabbage rolls--1 lb of ground beef or ground turkey and (you can add sauteed onions and peppers in it if you like) then add some spaghetti sauce (about 1 cup or so I just eyeball it) and then had about a 1/4 or half head of cabbage and simmer for 30 minutes until cabbage is soft. You can also add seasonings to your liking. I add garlic and onion powder. It is delicious! You can also marinate chicken in italian dressing and bake it. I like to use the leftovers and put in a tortilla shell with lettuce, tomato, and cheese. Stir frys are pretty easy and versatile--just sautee meat you like in a pan and add your favorite veggies. You can serve it over rice or noodles and add your favorite type of sauce. Hmm...another thing I like to make for about 350 calories is baked chimichangas. You mix shredded chicken, low fat cream cheese, and taco seasoning and add to a tortilla shell. Wrap up like a burrito and then spray the top and bottom of it with cooking spray. Bake for at 350 until golden brown and flip halfway through (about 20 minutes total). Hope some of these ideas help!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    stick with the basics. have a protein and veggies. i keep varieties of frozen mixed veggies on hand and make stir frys or just have my peotein with veggies on the side. experiement with salt free flavories so each time it will taste different.

can't go wrong with a good wrap either.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I like to make a huge spinach salad with a lot of fresh veggies in it and cook a couple of chicken breasts to have on it one night and then cook some ground meat (turkey or buffalo) and add spices for a taco salad the next night. The flavor profiles are different enough that we can have salads two nights in a row. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of braised chicken recipes with whole thighs or breasts which can be done in large batches and freeze and reheat well. Some examples here.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/5967/easy-chicken-tagine
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3176/coq-au-vin
    http://japanesefood.about.com/od/teriyakisauce/r/teriyakichicken.htm

I will feed some starch to the hubby (quinoa, rice, potatoes or some bread), and make some veg. Veg could be roast or grilled veg or simply microwaved frozen veg.
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What about making a big pot of veggie-packed spaghetti sauce - make it meatless, then you can put it over turkey or chicken Italian Sausage and run it under the broiler with a bit of mozzarella cheese. In the States we can get some very good chicken sausage that truly are half the calories of pork. Then freeze the rest for another meal...also delish over boneless skinless chicken breast baked in the oven...
  • alexl2745
    Options
    Thank you all :) I will definetly have to try these ideas :)
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Here's a recipe I posted in "Challenge : 5 Ingredients which you might search for to find some good recipe ideas using chickpeas.

Avocado Soup

2 ripe Hass avocados, coarsely chopped
    2 cups baby spinach
    2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
    juice of 1 lime
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Voila.....no chickpeas....but it's delicious and only 5 ingredients, unless you want to add pepper, then it's six. Seven if you decide to add hot sauce! love
    BTW: put in the blender, blend, serve.wink
  • SusanL222
    SusanL222 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    This comes from "150 Healthiest 15 Minute Recipes on Earth" by Jonny Bowden. Enjoy!

Fantastic Feta-Chickpea Casserole

2 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 large yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
    1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained
    3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 1/2 teaspoon prepared)
    1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or 3/4 teaspoon dried)
    1/2 to 1 cup feta
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    3 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 7x 11 baking dish (I use an 8x8 pan). Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat and saute the onion for about 5 minutes. While onion is cooking, mash chickpeas coarsely with a potato masher or ricer in a large bowl until a chunky paste (or 10 seconds in a food processor).
    Add garlic and thyme to onions and saute for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium low and add mashed chickpeas. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and spoon into the large bowl. Stir in feta, lemon juice, eggs, salt and pepper. (I like generous amounts of feta and lemon juice). Spoon into greased baking dish and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly brown on top.
    Serve with shredded zucchini, grape tomatoes and garlic. Cook zucchini and garlic in oil, cover and cook for 4 minutes, add tomatoes, recover and cook for 2 more minutes.
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I eat anywhere from 1200 (lowest) to 16001700 calories a day. I eat anything I want, in moderation. Tacos, burritos, tostadas are good. Just don't eat the tortilla chips, or measure out a serving and only eat that many. Stir-fry, chicken, beef or pork. Spaghetti sauce on a bed of limited pasta mixed with some cooked veggies. If you limit the amount of meat in the sauce, its pretty low in calories and the veggies allow you to have a larger serving if you need to. I have a julienne peeler that lets me shred zucchini into strings that look like spaghetti, cooked lightly, they taste great with the sauce and the kid even likes it. My diary is open if you want to take a look. I eat a lot of "junk" so it may not be to helpful.
  • NikkiG_87
    Options
    Definitely check your friends diaries, I also like skinnytaste.com for ideas.

I really like roasted veggies especially broccoli and cauliflower, sausage and peppers, and salads.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    My diary is open. Yes, there are meals out and some not-so-healthy items, but lots to choose from. I don't like to spend my whole pay check on groceries, either.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow I'm planning on some turkey meatloaf. It's one of my favorites.