Exercise calories

Options
What percentage of your exercise calories do you eat back? What works for you? Pls say if you are using a hrm to determine calories or not.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    None unless I've done something like a 3 hour bike ride.
  • depjo01
    Options
    I am using my fitbit one to estimate calories burned. I typically leave 100 to 200 calories at the end of the day to,account for any variance in calories or exercise.
  • janettebishop940
    Options
    Thanks. That sounds sensible. Shame I only exercise 100 - 200 calories a day! :) but I like the idea of having buffer calories to allow for underestimating food input.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM and I eat my exercise calories if I'm hungry.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    73.1215%
    I find that when I eat back more than that, I gain, but when I eat back less, my performance suffers.
    Now and then if I'm REALLY ravenously hungry, I'll allow myself up to 73.13%
  • mrshudson813
    mrshudson813 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM. Sometimes I eat all of my calories back, sometimes I don't eat any back. Just depends on how hungry I am and how much energy I have for my workouts.
  • RedScathach
    RedScathach Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor when I do my cardio workouts, I have a fitbit that tallies up the daily walk with the dog. I eat back my exercise calories if I am hungry. Since my stomach bug a month ago my appetite has been squelched a little but I try to make sure I try to eat at the very least 1200 calories, but I am trying to work up to at least 1400 calories on days that I work out.
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry I eat them back it really just depends, today I burnt 1,430 calories on a bike ride and there is no way ill be able to eat all that back... I do generally like to have a buffer to of at least 200calories :)

P.S I use a HRM
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I usually have 10-20% of my exercise calories let over, but only because I can't eat all those back because I'd be stuffed. I exercise every day and use my pedometer (on my iphone) to track all the walking I do. Besides, this saves calories for the weekend when I tend to have bigger meals.
  • magellan213
    Options
    I use a HRM and usually burn between 400-550 calories during my workouts. For the most part i eat most of that back. It really depends on if I'm hungry. I like the fact that I have the option of eating more since I worked out.
  • ovhenderson
    ovhenderson Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor. Right now I'm trying to reduce body fat, so I don't eat them back. If I were in a maintain weight phase, I absolutely be balancing it out and eating back what was necessary.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I probably eat back 50% of mine, unless I do a serious hike (5 or more miles). I can't eat even half of those back...I hike technical trails on a nearby mountain with at least 500 ft elevation changes. Those hikes are for the sheer pleasure of it, not to lose weight. Most of the time, I gain the day after them because I drink so much water while I'm on the mountain.
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I eat back almost everything. Hard for me to make net without exercise.

Heart rate is a poor indicator of calories burned. The calories you burn is dependent on work done by your body, which depends on distance traveled and body weight. Heart rate only measures how efficiently your heart gets oxygen to the working muscles and the extra bpm (or not) doesn't make a significant difference.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Through trial and error I settled in at eating back 85% of my exercise calories and I have used my Polar FT60 heart rate monitor from pretty much the beginning. Works great in the pool swimming laps or on the treadmill..... Best of Luck
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a little bit of them back. Maybe half.
  • Adrianachiarato
    Adrianachiarato Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'd rather not to, but I do if I feel hungry.