Losing weight in "bursts"

Options
I just wondered if this is normal. I go a week or two without losing weight and then all of a sudden I spend about 5 days losing weight rapidly. Then I plateau again and so on. Sometimes the plateaus are due to me eating a bit more, but a lot of the time I eat about the same every day. I think it is a bit weird. Does anyone else lose weight in bursts and why is my body doing this?

Replies

• KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    It's normal.
  • Willoughby18
    Willoughby18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My weight loss has been following the same kind of trend. The majority of my loss occurs on the days following my period (I don't gain during it either)!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    This is SO my pattern of weight loss. I see it as a stair-step pattern. I gain/lose the same 1-2 lbs for awhile (2-3 weeks) then I drop 5 lbs in a week. I don't ever see consistent losses week after week. You're not alone.
  • likerebecca
    likerebecca Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree... it's weird.. During the week I fluctuate up within a pound, but come weigh in day, I always see a nice loss.. It all depends on your hydration, time of day, and god only knows the moon for all I can figure out! lol
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    actually this is very normal. you will hit plateaus from time to time. BUT that being said my trainer makes me stop "losing" after every 20 lbs and I have to maintain that weigh for 2 weeks before I get back into the swing of things..At first I had a lot of bumps BUT now I am very successful at the maintain which is what my long term goal is.
  • b218w
    b218w Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Same here.......
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's normal.

On the atkins board they call it the Whoosh Fairy.
  • elainemorris1982
    elainemorris1982 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    same for me, will go 2-3 weeks without losing then I'l just drop 2-3 pounds, then stay the same again for 2-3 weeks. I stil lose inches thou on the weeks I stay the same, so that keeps me going :)
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Big reason why I switched to only 1x a month weigh-ins. My period has me eating like a mad fiend for a week - so there's my gain or stall. But then after I'm over I tend to level out - and possibly even lose.
    So i changed to 1x a month so I don't get pulled down by fluctuations - just whatever happens on the 1st I go "it is what it is" and move on to fix it - or dance a jig of glee as with today's weigh in lol.
    Totally normal!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    This happens to me. The past few months I've lost 4-6 lb a month and it ALWAYS follows the same pattern.

I lose 1/4 to 1/2 lb each week and then the week leading up to my period I lose 2-3+ lb rapidly.

I don't gain or lose during the period - but then right after it I go back to 1/4 to 1/2 lb loss each week.