How Close Do you Go on Allowed Calories?

Options
Just curious.
Do you try to get very close without going over,or think if you're within... ? ...calories,call it good enough?

The closest I got was 26 calories left over.Am usually closer to a hundred under.

Replies

• harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am never but NEVER close to my stated calories. I also never eat BACK the exercise calories. What is the point--you are doing this to lose weight!
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to the minimum amount I should eat on a non exercise day. I know I can go several hundred calories over if I feel I need to without worrying.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I'm almost never under. Or if I am, it's by a handful. Unless I worked out a lot-and then I might be under by 100 (but usually not). Anything less than 200-300 over is good with me. I'm aiming for a 250-500 cal/day deficit. My target is a 500 cal deficit. But I've never been terribly worried about a couple hundred here and there.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I am never but NEVER close to my stated calories. I also never eat BACK the exercise calories. What is the point--you are doing this to lose weight!
    If you're already eating at a deficit and then not eating back the exercise calories it can put you at an even larger (and potentially unhealthy) deficit. Enjoy the extra food!

Personally it just depends on the day for me. Some days I'm a little over, some days a little under. It all averages out at the ends of the week.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I get as close as I can to net and actually prefer just a bit over to way under. Your body needs the fuel even when trying to lose weight. If you don't feed it enough, it won't stop at fat to get fuel, it will also eat much needed muscle and ultimately slow down your body's ability to burn (since muscle burns more),
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    +/- 50 is what I aim for. Results may vary, up to thousands over.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

Hmmm. I'm doing this to be healthy and as something I can sustain forever and ever. Eating like a rabbit doesn't fit that plan. More power to you of course, but I'm already at a deficit when I hit my target (and actually I'm still in a deficit for a fair bit over my target). Eating too little makes me very grouchy. I hope you have better luck sustaining.
  • tootchute
    tootchute Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I try to leave 100 calories or so, just in case of any kind of error.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'm never very close. I shoot for 200 calories on either side of my target, but I'm not too worried about it so long as I'm on target for the week overall.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

Yet on your next post you comment on the dangers of yo-yo dieting. MFP, you're doing it wrong :flowerforyou:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    It's a calorie GOAL, it's what you SHOULD be aiming for, not aim to be under that
  • weightedfootsteps
    weightedfootsteps Posts: 4,349 Member
    Options
    I usually hit anywhere from 400 under to 300 over...it really depends on what all I've done that day...if I was busy all day exercise and work, plus going out with kids or something...I may end up way under...It averages out. I will say that I aim to be within 100 of the cals that I should net for the day. But my cals are set at 1750 a day..Got a lot to lose and I'm not planning to starve myself to get there.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    It's a calorie GOAL, it's what you SHOULD be aiming for, not aim to be under that

Well put. I generally end the week there or thereabouts but don't worry too much if I go a little over on non-exercise days. Some people seem to think they are beating the system by aiming way under, but really all you are doing is compromising your own health, which is stupid when you're here to get fit and well!
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
    Yes!
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Try to stay 100 calories around my goal. Over or under, doesn't matter.
    I never ate my exercise calories either. I don't care how much I burn, My goal is my goal without exercise.
    Lots of people talk **** about not eating exercise calories, but as you can see it never hold me back, and I'm not unhealthy at all :-)
  • shannonmparker
    Options
    I had one day in the last 30 where I went over, I was wayyyy under at first, but I found that I lost more weight by eating to within 200 cal of goal and using exercise calories but i rarely eat over 2200 calories total. I've lost just over 16 lbs in the last month. I feel really good and feel like the loss is sustainable.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I aim to hit my goals but usually go a bit over. Sometimes only by 20 cals sometimes more like 50. I don't like to be under.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I like my weekly average to come within 500 calories one way or another, but I don't stress day to day. And you better believe I eat my exercise calories back. I bought a Bodymedia Fit so I know what I am burning and I burn and eat plenty. We're not on the Biggest Loser here, its not a contest, but a lifestyle, no need to deprive yourself.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Just curious.
    Do you try to get very close without going over,or think if you're within... ? ...calories,call it good enough?

I go for plus/minus 100 calories. At a daily goal of 2300, that's less than 5% margin, which is plenty good enough IMO.
  • EMPulseKC
    EMPulseKC Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually shoot for 2000 calories a day (my goal used to be 2530, but now it's down to 2310), and I'm usually good about coming in under the goal by about 200-500 kcal/day. I don't worry about it if I'm a few hundred over on occasion though.