Good Recipies For Work

Options
soldiergrl_101
soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,205 Member
I am not very good at cooking, but I was thinking that if I tried some simple but yummy recipies that I could bring to work maybe it would help me get back on track. What do you suggest, any specific that helped you? Keep in mind I am not a good cook at all my meals usually consist of lean cuisines and salads, but salads get old quick if you dont mix it up.

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    what I do for usually at least a week at a time is lettuce wraps. well basically sandwiches with lettuce. lay out a piece of lettuce, squirt some mustard, lay sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, sliced avocado, and a couple pieces of deli thin turkey. so low cal, I can eat three or four and be pretty full. usually have some sort of side snack with it. For example, a portioned out baggie of pretzels, portioned goldfish, or a portion of reduced fat wheat thins. And water. it's good for ME. My lunch is at 10:15 am and its usually 1:30-2:00 before I have a snack. then I'm good till dinner.
  • letmebangbro
    letmebangbro Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just buy a roast. Season it with w/e you want. Buy steak spice to make your life easier.
    Oven it. Cut it in portions.
    Serve it with salad.

Or do
    Roast chicken.

Get a chicken breast, Cut that chit up in small bits.
    Pan it with some chickpeas, onions, garlic, cayenne, pepper. Stuff chicken's *kitten*. Use a spoon to stuff it nice and tight. Cork it with half a lemon.
    Find a temp online.
    Bake it--> take it out--> squeeze lemon juice into the pan you baked it in, mix in with all dat sauuceeee.
    Strain it= dipping sauce

Take stuffing out. Cut chicken up. Side+main+your salads.
  • MelissaDoc
    MelissaDoc Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    what I do for usually at least a week at a time is lettuce wraps. well basically sandwiches with lettuce. lay out a piece of lettuce, squirt some mustard, lay sliced cucumbers, tomatoes, sliced avocado, and a couple pieces of deli thin turkey. so low cal, I can eat three or four and be pretty full. usually have some sort of side snack with it. For example, a portioned out baggie of pretzels, portioned goldfish, or a portion of reduced fat wheat thins. And water. it's good for ME. My lunch is at 10:15 am and its usually 1:30-2:00 before I have a snack. then I'm good till dinner.

I am definitely going to try this. Classes start again in a few days and I need something that will last in a lunch box and doesn't need heating. These sound perfect!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of roast chicken breast that I slice and freeze ( lately I've been following this recipehttp://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2013/07/slow-and-low-dry-rub-oven-chicken/#more-10384 adjusting the roasting time for skinless boneless chicken breast or roast chicken parts and then shred)

Once you have the chicken ( or use meat/turkey/etc) you add your salad, and/or sides/veg and you have a meal i, I usually take the same thing every day: big salad, add my protein ( chicken as above or feta cheese, or tuna and hard boiled egg, or cooked beans...)
  • jesmith86
    Options
    I found that taking salads with some sort of fritter works well, I have been having a fritter made with brown rice is quite nice and you don't have to heat it :) I did my own twist on the below recipe and didn't cook in the oil (used a non stick frypan) and didn't have the dressing

2 cups cooked white or brown rice
    1 medium zucchini grated
    1 medium carrot grated
    1 cup frozen peas
    50 g shaved ham chopped
    1 tbsp mint chopped
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp light sour cream
    1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
    4 eggs lightly beaten
    truss tomatoes, baby spinach and rocket mix to serve
    Combine eggs, rice, zucchini, carrot, peas, ham and mint in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix well.
    Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Cook 1/4 cup of mixture in batches for 2-3 mins each side until firm and golden. Repeat with remaining mixture. Drain on kitchen paper.
    Meanwhile, mix together sour cream and sweet chilli sauce. Transfer to a small container. Pack fritters in lunchbox with tomatoes, spinach and rocket leaves and container of sour cream mixture for dipping.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I tend to prepare batches of meals with grain or pulse bases.

For example 125g of mixed cooked red and white quinoa (could easily be lentils or brown rice) then chop in some vegetables such as cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and peppers. Add some finely chopped herbs of your choice (mine is mint and parsley) and add a little lemon juice.

I then use this as the base for my lunch and vary what is added to it on a daily basis, one day it will be smoked fish, the next it might be tinned fish in a tomato sauce and another some crumbled feta cheese.

By varying the addition on a daily basis I find that it doesn't get old and as you can see there is very little cooking involved
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I was just about to ask the community about this!

I'm looking for higher protein recipes because just about everything I've come up with is carb-y. I'm not against carbs at all, I just need some variation!

Bumping for more suggestions
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I was just about to ask the community about this!

I'm looking for higher protein recipes because just about everything I've come up with is carb-y. I'm not against carbs at all, I just need some variation!

Bumping for more suggestions

Have a look at this site purely for the listing of high protein low calorie food choices
  • tanderson1000
    Options
    I found that taking salads with some sort of fritter works well, I have been having a fritter made with brown rice is quite nice and you don't have to heat it :) I did my own twist on the below recipe and didn't cook in the oil (used a non stick frypan) and didn't have the dressing

1 medium zucchini grated
    1 medium carrot grated
    1 cup frozen peas
    50 g shaved ham chopped
    1 tbsp mint chopped
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp light sour cream
    1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
    4 eggs lightly beaten
    Combine eggs, rice, zucchini, carrot, peas, ham and mint in a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper and mix well.
    Heat oil in a large frying pan on medium. Cook 1/4 cup of mixture in batches for 2-3 mins each side until firm and golden. Repeat with remaining mixture. Drain on kitchen paper.
    Meanwhile, mix together sour cream and sweet chilli sauce. Transfer to a small container. Pack fritters in lunchbox with tomatoes, spinach and rocket leaves and container of sour cream mixture for dipping.

Yummmm.....this is a must try recipe!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I've just made some pizza muffins ... I'll edit after to tell you guys how they turn out. The nutritional value and stats are amazing, so I'm really hoping they work. I changed a TON of things in the recipe so I'll update everyone when they're out of the oven!
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If I'm not feeling a salad I will go for a wrap or a basic sandwich with bell pepper or carrots on the side for bulk.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I usually just bring leftovers to work! I'm also into meal prepping where I cook up ground turkey, chicken breasts or fish and a bunch of veggies and bring that to work too. If you don't have access to a microwave you can get a thermos and pack stews/chili/soup in it!
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

1 medium zucchini grated
    1 medium carrot grated
    1 cup frozen peas
    50 g shaved ham chopped
    1 tbsp mint chopped
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp light sour cream
    1 tsp sweet chilli sauce
    4 eggs lightly beaten
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    You can use lettuce wraps for most any protein.Try meat you buy already cooked from grocery.Make tuna or chicken salad.
    If you have a microwave,use the wraps for sloppy turkey joes,.....just any filling you like.

Soup is great in a thermos or heated up.You can easily Dr soup by adding cooked meat & veggies.Have you tried cupcake size frittatas? Basically just egg,veggies baked in a muffin tin.Very easy to do,they can be wrapped & frozen.Recipes on line or try this one.

http://www.food.com/recipe/muffin-frittatas-439092
  • joyce0624
    joyce0624 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • chelseybennett1
    chelseybennett1 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've just made some pizza muffins ... I'll edit after to tell you guys how they turn out. The nutritional value and stats are amazing, so I'm really hoping they work. I changed a TON of things in the recipe so I'll update everyone when they're out of the oven!

How did your pizza muffins turn out? I made a sausage bread that was super good. I don't have the recipe on hand at the moment though.