gym help

Options
I just recently switched gyms while trying to get myself motivated to lose about 20 lbs and tone up for my wedding in december. The gym I was going to (when i actually went) was an overcrowded social club, and it just really stressed me out every time I went.

Here is my problem with gyms in general...i dont know what im doing! I dont know what exercises I need to be doing and cardio...I just feel lost! Im not usually big on having a gym partner because I cant stay focused if somebody is talking my ear off while Im trying to work out. Im pretty shy about asking people for help, especially in the gym so I usually just go in and use the treadmill or elliptical and then go home. The people that work there seem so hoyty toyty and they were not like that when I toured the gym and signed up. Its like they dont want to take the time to help anybody out. Does anybody have any advice for somebody like me?? any advice is much appreciated! thanks! :smile:

Replies

• gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Just ask the people who work there how to use the equipment. It's their job to help you.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Get insanity and workout at home....
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Did your gym give you a free session with a trainer to set a program for you? Each new member at my gym gets a 1 hour chat/show you the ropes/equipment orientation
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Talk to someone who works there. All the gyms I've ever joined had an employee walk you around, explain all the machines and if you want, writes up a basic workout dependant on what results you were wanting.

tl;dr, just ask someone for help.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    you say you`re shy.... use the common ground of working out to learn how to speak freely to strangers and then develop bonds that may stay with your for life - friends that will share your triumphs when you hit and smash your goals.

in otherwords force yourself to ask for help, design a routine with them that matches your goals and off you go!! once you learn correct ways to use the equipment and proper form for lifting youll be sorted.

as my boss says JFDI..... Just F*c^k$n Do It !!!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Book some sessions with a personal trainer in addition to getting a tour from a staff member. Once you have a routine, look up exercise descriptions on bodybuilder.com, which have text instructions and videos of women and men. If you're not sure what a certain machine does, Google it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    find a program to follow. I would just look online, on here or bodybuilding.com is a good place to find a routine... I do the stronglifts program and just run on a treadmill. I don't really like the ellipticals or bikes.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Book some sessions with a personal trainer in addition to getting a tour from a staff member. Once you have a routine, look up exercise descriptions on bodybuilder.com, which have text instructions and videos of women and men. If you're not sure what a certain machine does, Google it.

I agree wholeheartedly with this advice.
  • traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Also, if your gym has classes, join in on some of those. You'll get to know some people, and then you might find it easier to talk to them after the class has finished, or while you are waiting for the class to start.

I also agree with getting a trainer, BUT, you need to get to know the trainers to find out which you feel comfortable with, and whether he/she will push you enough, and what your goals are... One of my gym friends has had 3 trainers, and has never been shown how to use the kettlebells/sandbags/dumbells... and only a couple of the resistance machines.We were chatting before our aqua-class and she asked whether I went "upstairs" to the main gym floor and what I did up there, and was surprised when I told her I spent more time working with the kettlebells/barbells/bags and dumbells than I do on all the machines.

I guess what I am trying to say is pick your trainer carefully :smile:
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    This is a great physical and emotion goal for you. Ask for help! I get being shy and wanting to be left alone with your workout, I'm the same way but if you don't know what machines to use and what workouts to do you'll need to talk to the staff. Often times they have trainers who aren't seen by members unless they sign up with them and then they keep your chart on file so you can get it and do your routine and return it.
  • bulletproofkasper
    bulletproofkasper Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just ask the people who work there how to use the equipment. It's their job to help you.

Exactly this ^^ it's there job to help you, just approach them nicely you might find you were to quick to judge them :smile:
    I used to be the exact same, but I found I was usually to quick to judge people :flowerforyou:
  • dragonfly_em
    dragonfly_em Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    try following a program like new rules of lifting (for women) or drop 2 sizes (rachel cosgrove) or any of the others you will find mentioned on here. They will give structure to your workouts, show and tell you what to do, give you the confidence to try new stuff and will give you a good full body workout - they are written by the experts