Low calorie/sugar recovery drinks

Options
Are there any options for low calorie/low sugar recovery drinks? I get so few calories for the day I don't want to waste them on drinks.

Replies

• musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    double post..MFP needs to add a delete post option.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Are there any options for low calorie/low sugar recovery drinks? I get so few calories for the day I don't want to waste them on drinks.

You don't have to waste the calories on a sports drink..Just eat whole foods.
  • Rachickidee
    Rachickidee Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    www.eletewater.com, it has zero calories, zero carbs and you can put it in any drink.
  • frankbo25
    frankbo25 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Theres low calorie gatorade also only about 80 cal in a 32oz bottle (20 per serving)
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Vitamin Water Zero, Powerade Zero. But really, these are only good if you are looking to replace electrolytes. If you are looking to replenish energy stores and speed recovery/healing you need the calories...just look for something with a good protein-carb ratio and consume within an hour (ideally half an hour). Don't look at these calories as holding you back, you'll build lean muscle which will boost metabolism, burn more calories in the long run. Chocolate milk is said to work wonders, but things like Carnation Instant Breakfast, Ensure (really!), or smoothies work too.
  • subtilty
    Options
    In the UK there is Lucozade Lite Sport which is 50kcal!
  • emersoam
    Options
    I like Powerade Zero.
  • ksnielsen
    ksnielsen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Recovery drinks i.e. Gatorade, have many electrolytes that the body does not need. If you are a professional athlete and you are working out for many hours then, yes you would need to drink something like Gatorade, but for the normal person working out for about an hour you do not need it. Your body will do just fine with drinking water. You can also add a small bag of salted pretzels to your post work out snack.

If you body has an increase of Potassium, magnesium, calcium and electrolytes it can affect your heart rate/rhythm, muscle tone and many other body systems.
    Hope this helps.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    An easy to make recovery drink that is decent is simply low fat chocolate milk.

Some people prefer to have a protein shake after a workout though. It works great.

I've also used a glass of natural fruit juice with a spoonful of fruity flavored protein powder post-workout with good results.

As far as low sugar recovery drinks, I am not sure of any good ones pre-made since most seem to have sugar added to them.