Insanity Knee Problem - advice

Options
Hiya,

I'm on day 45 of Insanity. The inside right of my left knee started hurting after Max Interval Training. I've had it strapped since and applied ice, but 30 minutes into Max Plyo, despite avoiding jumping as much as possible, its flaring up again.

I managed the previous 40 odd days fine, but now I think I am at an end with it. Any suggestions? Bin it? Leave it a week and try over?

If I bin it, then what else is there out there that is gentler on joints? I've P90X (never looked at it yet) and I've Jillian Michaels.

Any advice appreciated. I've loved the Insanity program which has had great results, but its killing my knees.

I've read about getting better shoes and i've read that bare foot is best of all, but I've also read that Insanity causes a lot of injuries and I dont want anything long term.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would rest it a couple of days and see how it feels.

A lot of people have knee problems with insanity - though thankfully I haven't and i am halfway through my second round.
  • NomadicFlame
    Options
    Thanks. I rested it for 48 hours, but It still hurt through this. I'll try a little longer and do something easier in the interim which doesn't involve knees. I had no problems up until the second week of Max Insanity. I "think" the pedal lunges may have doen it.. or the jump rope... or maybe just old age and bad knees. God knows.
  • AbsyPernet
    Options
    Hey you!! I do strapped my knees up when I do MAX insanity and I know how much it can hurt when you just "twisted" it the wrong way. Have a day or two rest and come back, at times, try to do some other moves, during the 30/45 seconds and then get back onto the next one, pedal lunges are a killer.

Add me , if you wish, I am doing P90X, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and the rest of the week, I do MAX insanity, I love MAX INTERVAL PLYO best:wink:

You are not old!! you can do this!! Keep pushing PLAY!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    If you've got knee pain then your time doing Insanity has come to an end. There's just too much jumping for that program to be a long term solution.

Ummm....is joining a gym and slinging iron an option? Or lacing up some shoes and hitting the running trail? Or can we only suggest fitness dvds?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you've got knee pain then your time doing Insanity has come to an end. There's just too much jumping for that program to be a long term solution.

Ummm....is joining a gym and slinging iron an option? Or lacing up some shoes and hitting the running trail? Or can we only suggest fitness dvds?

This.

I screwed up my knees doing Insanity a few years back, and I can still feel it when I push hard through squats and deads, although those exercises help me and have strengthened my knees again.

I still do Insanity workouts OCCASIONALLY as a cardio workout maybe 1-2 times a week (never in a row on consecutive days) but I will *never* do the whole program again for love of my knees, lol.
  • NomadicFlame
    Options
    Thanks all.

I'll bin Insanity. I don't want to join a gym currently as I just became out of work.

However I do have running shoes. I'm not going to continue to bugger up my knee just for the sake of saying I got to 60.

I'll quit and do something else. Shame as it has good results, but not worth crippling myself for.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you have to give up something you love. I messed my knees up on Jillian's three years ago. No matter what I did to "heal" myself, I could not do any squats or anything where the knees were involved. I've had to "settle" for doing what I can. And believe me, THAT is making me feel old (although I AM old). But I'm very active so I guess I'm really not missing out. Hope you are happy with whatever you end up doing, cause it really matters that you are happy with it.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I started insanity with a hip and knee niggle ( post baby)... I worked thought it at my pace and I am now into the max workouts with no pain and doing all of the moves without modification. I think you can still do the workouts but modify..... If it is really bad rest and go back to it when you are ready! I
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I rested it for 48 hours, but It still hurt through this. I'll try a little longer and do something easier in the interim which doesn't involve knees. I had no problems up until the second week of Max Insanity. I "think" the pedal lunges may have doen it.. or the jump rope... or maybe just old age and bad knees. God knows.

You may have an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tear and that takes longer to heal--sometimes as much as 2 years depending on the severity. If it is really bad, surgery is required. If it is an ACL tear, it doesn't sound like it is a bad one--you would be in agony if it was a bad one.

Could be just plain osteoarthritis combined with poor gait. If so, you can use orthotics to improve the function of your feet and knees and there are also lots of oral supplements you can take. But it isn't a good idea to take them and pharmaceuticals at the same time--I only take oral supplements for my arthritis and they keep my pain and joint dysfunction to a minimum.

I had an ACL tear last year on the inside of my right knee. (I have osteoarthritis with gouty complications--began when I was about 28). I take turmeric (the yellow spice in curry) extract for general inflammation, and bromelain (a pineapple extract) for swelling and stiffness. I also take a product called "natural eggshell membrane" for improving the function of the joints (it regrows damaged cartilage). My right knee is mostly 100% now--only acts up now and then, if I have been on my feet and/or walking a lot. It is VERY important that you not get dehydrated during exercise as dehydration combined with pounding on the joints does a number on aging cartilage. Swimming and pool exercise is GREAT for improving joint function and is generally very healing for any number of musculo-skeletal problems. Good luck! :smile:

ETA: I saw that you don't want to join a gym for the cost. Body weight exercise is great for strengthening and calorie burn. Also, the public pool I go to only charges $150 for a whole year of swimming--not as expensive as a gym. I've heard that some public pools even give a reduced rate on membership to those who are unemployed.
  • sueclare38
    Options
    I don't think you need to bin it off. Take time to heal, then figure out which moves are hurting your knees, then just modify those moves or miss them altogether and do something different in place. You also need to make sure you are landing soft. I do it barefoot on carpet and I have bursitis in both my knees and it hasn't caused me any problems yet. I've modified quite a few moves to suit myself as I still have problems with my pelvic joints from spd in my last pregnancy, so can't do front lunges, do side lunges instead. Take the jump out of certain moves and just stretch high instead, that way you don't get the jolt through the knees from landing hard. Whatever you decide to do it has to be what's best for you.
  • zoerunsfaster
    zoerunsfaster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Take a break from insanity - dont bin it just yet! Try P90x - it's easier to modify to protect your knees, and is a great alternative. It's more about building strength than cardio, but has a much more relaxed pace that I enjoy when I can't face Shaun t and his manic warm ups first thing in the morning.

Do give your knee time to recover properly...
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you're jumping on carpet or using shoes that don't support properly that could cause the problem. Sounds like something similar I did last year when I attempted to do knee lift jumps on carpet with my old worn out Nikes. Keep the joint stabilized and if the pain continues see a Dr.