I Know Everything There Is About Dieting!!!!!!!

Options
Yes, I certainly do!
I know everything there is to know about dieting.
I am 57 and have been dieting since I was 10 yrs. old.

I have never eaten a NORMAL meal, I eat a diet meal or a cheat meal.
I am such an expert on dieting that when I got hurt (spent 3 yrs in a wheelchair) I went up to 160
from 130.

No problem, I know how to handle this, go on a CRASH OR FAD diet, I will lose so fast it will make my head spin.
I dieted myself from 160 to 224.
I told you I know every thing!

I have spent a fortune on Meat, I prefer Protein Diets. Steak and cheese.
How healthy is that!!!!!!!!!

I have joined Weight Watchers, Sparks, Herbal Magic and Get The Damn Weight Off Now!

I can walk but have horrible nerve pain, I collapse with nerve pain.

I own a recumbent bike, a treadmill, and a Les Paul Weight System.

To top it off I work from home and I am on the computer form 5:30 a.m. to midnight.

I have received many gifts from this Weight Gain, Diabetes, Permanent Open Sore On My Toe, High Blood Pressure,
Difficulty Walking and Breathing, Getting Out Of The Tub (even with safety bars, I broke one off), Knee Trouble, plus other
little delights I won't mention here.

I just went to my Mothers 80th birthday, I bought 3 different outfits trying to look good, instead I got fat jokes all night!

Like I said before I have dieted all my life and I know everything there is to know about dieting!!!!!

But now what I really need is help!

So Please Some One HELP!!!!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Great post! Welcome!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Good into post!
    Glad you,re here on MFP! Hope you find what you need here!

(Did your friends/relatives at your mom,s party really make fun of you??

[feel free to send me a friends request if you want]

** ans I prefer protein too, seriously. (It helps my hypoglycemia)
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    An entertaining story with a serious undertone! I hope you find the will and strength to go forward. If you want a motivating friend, feel free to add me! :)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your nerve pain - I understand that's the worst!! And the social embarassment at your Mom's party - yuck!!

Like you, I've been fat all my life - you're right, we know all about dieting. We know what to do, it's a question of keeping on doing it long enough.

I started on MFP at 248lbs 18 months ago. My advice? Calm down and take it steady. Your previous diets probably went at it too quick so you rebounded with food cravings and fell of the wagon, then thought "I've blown it now - eat ALL the food!!" and went downhill from there.

Aim to lose no more than 1lb a week - or less, that's fine! Make small changes that you can live with - whatever works for you.

I found it helpful to change the units I was weighing in. I'm in the UK and have weighed in stones and pounds all my life, but I changed the little switch under the scales to pounds only. It's amazing the difference that has made - I'm not revisiting old territory. In my head I've never been 200lbs, or 180lbs or whatever before. You could switch to Kg & only convert your "new weight" to pounds occasionally. It's a way of starting afresh.

I've found MyFitnessPal to be THE most useful tool ever to keep track of what I'm eating and what I'm doing to keep the two in balance.

Welcome and congratulations on an amusing first post. :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. Because you've done every diet you know if you're hypothyroid, or have a very unhealthy relationship with food, or anything that would make following this to a T a bit more complicated, but otherwise...start there. It's a good place to start for sure.

Get to know the app (if you have a smart phone) and find the bar code scanner.
    Look for entries with lots of confirmations, or USDA after them, they tend to be more correct.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    the information you need is here. you just have to tune out the people who want you to try their "latest and greatest fad". those people (i call them derpers) are all over this site trying to convince you to low carb, eat clean, go paleo, detox, avoid gluten, etc.

the 2 best pieces of advice i can give to anyone in your shoes are these:

1) join the Eat, Train, Progress group. read EVERYTHING in there. ask questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

2) find the people on here who have been here for a year or more and have lost 100lbs or more. those people (98% of the time) will steer you away from the nonsense and give you actual support because they have been in your shoes.

good luck.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Pretty much this. Because you've done every diet you know if you're hypothyroid, or have a very unhealthy relationship with food, or anything that would make following this to a T a bit more complicated, but otherwise...start there. It's a good place to start for sure.

Look for entries with lots of confirmations, or USDA after them, they tend to be more correct.

Double ditto-ing this.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love your intro, and I am sad to hear how you have been suffering under the strain of it physically and mentally (Seriously, your relatives made fat jokes? Sounds too much like my family!)

You have come to a good place - the good people here outnumber the bad - get some good support.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    i havent beemn doing this for as long as you, i started my journey in 2011 and have succeeded BUT not before i tried crazy diet fads or binging and then low calories for the next week, or even starving to the point where i thought hunger pangs meant id lose more if they carried on.
    I became fed up of the terrible circle i had got myself in, anyways 3 weeks ago i knew enough was enough i stick to my calorie allowance and in that i eat what i want because it works for me, i dont eat clean foods all the time and i work my cake or cookies into my diary.
    I do cardio every other day and i eat my calories earned back....something clicked those 3 weeks ago and ive understood in order to lose more weight i dont have to be punishing my body or cringing everytime a birthday comes so i have to eat.
    I can honestly say its the best thing ive done and now im enjoying losing the weight, hope this helped feel free to add me if you want but please send a msg so i know that it came from this post good luck
  • reds_1
    Options
    I adored your intro. I feel like I understand. There is all to much information out there, it's so easy to get swept along.

I wish you well on your journey.

Feel free to add me!
  • Geeznie713
    Options
    Me too!!! I don't have the physical pain but believe I will if I continue on this road. I have been using food to treat my emotional pain forever. I am 40 now and am sad that so much time has passed and I have been relatively thin, meaning thin for my body, for only about 5 months of my entire life. Anyway, I haven't made much progress but I refuse to give up and the support on MFP is amazing!!!! Feel free to add me - please!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Double ditto-ing this.

Count yourself lucky that you are here now, and please listen to this.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Double ditto-ing this.

Count yourself lucky that you are here now, and please listen to this.

Welcome. These people are pointing you in the right direction. You can do this, and, although it will take time and effort, it gets easier once you change your normal.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Ok, so you know everything about dieting. :wink:
    But it sounds like you might want to know some more about how to lose weight and be healthier? Since dieting didn't work, try not dieting, but changing other things.
    Some of my suggestions for how to get started are at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Robin_Bin/view/how-to-use-myfitnesspal-427993
    Best wishes!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    When you said you "broke one off" I thought you were talking about a toe!! Sorry, I must have still been thinking about the open sore issue! I'm sorry for all you've been through - but only you can help you. Plenty of us are here for support, but we are not there with you day in, day out to keep you eating healthy, logging, and exercising.

I hope you read the "sexypants" post - it's excellent information. I've been on MFP for less than 5 months. I DON'T DIET, but I've lost 45 pounds. My diary is open - feel free to send me a friend request. Best of luck to you!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Sassy!

You've been given lots of good advice here. My little nugget is that you can learn to eat normally and reach your weight goals. You will find many tools and much support here at My Fitness Pal to do so. :smile:
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
  • sassy9111
    sassy9111 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thank you I read the sexy pants thread, excellent
  • sassy9111
    sassy9111 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is excellent advice Brainy