Advice for runner wannabe

Options
Hi there - I've been on MFP for about a month and have done well. I've been walking (about 3.5 miles) or bike riding (12 miles) daily. I try to incorporate jogs into my walks. I can't seem to go more than a minute or two before I give up. Any advice for how to keep it going? Are there good websites that talk about form/technique? I do have shin splints, and they often bug me. Any advice/encouragement would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• miniera
    Options
    I have just started too and I was turned onto this app couch to 5k that trains you how to be a runner. I am just starting off with the walking on my treadmill and will start that soon. Good luck. Hope that helps.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Don't try to run fast. Go as slow as you need to. Work on distance before speed.
  • Hestion
    Hestion Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is fab, i to.suffer from shin splints, get properly fitted running shoes, that's a must, really helps with cushioning and stretch and warmup and cool down well. Most importantly back off if you need to, listen to your body, you'll find you run for longer periods as you get fitter and run very slow if you need to, barely faster than a walk is fine, then you can work on speed
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Probably the only thing is to relax whilst you are walking - enjoy the scenery or go to the shop for something. This morning I went to get some milk - before I knew it myself and the milk were alongside the river looking at the river boats - never noticed the time go by but when I got back forty five minutes had passed and I had done something worthwhile before breakfast when all others were asleep
  • NC0224
    Options
    I have this same issue with running. I very recently started running again. I have always gotten shin splints since I was a preteen, but purchased some compression sleeves a while back that I wear over my shins when I run, and they have helped a lot. Also, when you run find a pace that allows you to land on the ball of your foot, instead of the heel. I have a big problem with landing on my heel still, and it causes too much pressure to be put on the shin bone. You have to basically experiment to find what pace works for you, but my husband was telling me that I need to be keeping my pace to where my feet don't go out further than my body.

I have heard good things about couch to 5k. Make sure you are not taking short breaths while you run, because that can affect your endurance. Also, it helps me to not clench my fists while I run.

Good luck! :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to go more than a minute or two before I give up. Any advice for how to keep it going?

Why do you give up? From the shin splints? From getting winded? Something else?

Is the shin pain on the inner half of your shins or the outer half? That gives a clue as to the cause.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Hi there - I've been on MFP for about a month and have done well. I've been walking (about 3.5 miles) or bike riding (12 miles) daily. I try to incorporate jogs into my walks. I can't seem to go more than a minute or two before I give up. Any advice for how to keep it going? Are there good websites that talk about form/technique? I do have shin splints, and they often bug me. Any advice/encouragement would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Ice your shins for 15 minutes after each run. Try to run on soft surfaces when you can. Grass, dirt, asphalt, concrete. The harder the surface the more wear it's going to put on your shins.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    For sure try the C25K program, you will be amazed! I could not run at all until I did this program. There is also a board on here for other people that are doing it and has tons of support, suggestions, ect..
  • rachelmaria33
    rachelmaria33 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    If you can only run 2 minutes before you give up oh well! run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes, run 2 minutes, walk 2 minutes. When I first started running I remember days where I would say "just to the next tree" or "just to the stop sign" Stop seeing it as a defeat to run 2 minutes! In a week, try 3! I ran 11 miles for the first time on Saturday. When I started running there was no way I thought I'd ever do something that crazy, now I love the challenge!

Also, sometimes a running buddy is the solution. Are you really going to stop running when your partener is still going?

Find what works for you and keep making progress!
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Probably the only thing is to relax whilst you are walking - enjoy the scenery or go to the shop for something. This morning I went to get some milk - before I knew it myself and the milk were alongside the river looking at the river boats - never noticed the time go by but when I got back forty five minutes had passed and I had done something worthwhile before breakfast when all others were asleep

best advice I've heard in years.

Last weekend while at the beach with family, I was up early looking for the exercise room and met an older gentleman who told me about local eateries etc. I went for a walk and had a great time, all while the wife and kids slept in.
  • leapsonbounds
    leapsonbounds Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    To answer the question about why I give up - sometimes it's the shin splints, sometimes it's mental - I think I just can't go anymore.

Thank you all very much for the info and insight. I will keep plugging away at this.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Most "experts" recommend NOT running through shin pain, because it could lead to a stress fracture.