If you had only one piece of advice...

Options
13»

Replies

• madhamey
    madhamey Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Eat slowly and stop eating the minute you start to feel full.

This is what I found hardest, but does automatically reduce calorie intake.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just keep making the next right, SUSTAINABLE change for you. It is easy to change something for a week but hard to maintain some things long term. For us it was a complete revamp of our favorite home cooked meals. Taking out fat and calories and finding new ways to put in flavor and nutritional value. Then juicing one meal a day (when we are home to do it.) followed by adding in exercise and logging. You would be surprised at how much weight we lost just by that first step though.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

Yep, absolutely.
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Can't out exercise a bad diet. It took me a long time to get that through my head.
  • WhoDat5o4
    WhoDat5o4 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. The one thing that has given me the greatest benefit aesthetically, emotionally, and health wise, more then losing weight, cardio, or eating healthy, is lifting heavy. Even though it wasn't my thing at first and I was the dancer girl who wanted nothing to do with lifting because I didn't have a clue how and because of so many stigmas and misconceptions about lifting that the majority of people seem to have. I tried the rest first and it never helped me accomplish the flat tummy I have now :) I really wish I could get through to the people who think they'll end up looking manly. I hardly think I did.
    IMG_5602.JPG

Yes!! lifting heavy helped get me through a dark period in my life.
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Weigh your food. Always.

I had no idea how much I was actually eating even when using measuring cups.
  • Winston1717
    Options
    For me...efficient workouts HIIT free weight training and cardio best choices I've ever made!
  • JL2513
    JL2513 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't put too much pressure on yourself. But do think through your decisions, ie. Do I really want to eat this piece of cake? How will I feel tomorrow and how will this affect my journey to my goal?

This has helped me immensely. About 10 years ago, I was also on a weight loss kick and had great success initially- then everything went to hell because of my "all or nothing" mentality and the pressure I put on myself. I am having success this time because I don't place so much pressure on myself to do the 'right' things; I just naturally do the 'right' things because of the sense of freedom I have allowed myself to have. I still exercise self control and am careful to think through my decisions, though.
  • aisha42
    aisha42 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Consistency and endurance will help you succeed in this lifestyle and journey. Start today because next year you will wish that you have.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    It's a mind thing as much as it's about diet and exercise.

This...........it IS a 'mind' thing as much as it's about diet and exercise - you have to WANT to change your lifestyle - and WANT to make those changes everyday.......otherwise, it's not happening
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Don't ever give up!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Strive for balance in everything you do
    Also a good one.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit
    Strength Training
    Measurements (not just scale)
    Listen to your body

That sums up my time of doing this.
    120lbs? Holy cow! And you're looking fantastic!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Overestimate calories eaten, underestimate calories burned.
  • estelamdo
    Options
    No matter how out of shape/overweight you are, or no matter how fit you think you are, you can ALWAYS be better.

THIS!! Followed by "You DO IT, you don't THINK IT".

Also a friend once said to me: “The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.”
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Go SLOW!!!
    You're in this for the long haul, not a quick fix. You didn't get fat in a week or a month, don't expect it to come off and stay off if you lose it that fast.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    what they said.

really, this thread us so full of good advice, it could be collected together into a little book of weight-loss wisdom.