Confusion About Calories Remaining in Daily Summary

Options
sartajwali
sartajwali Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello there,

Just registered today to MFP, one thing is really confusing me.

I am interested in weight loss, today is my first day at MFP, Initially my CALORIES REMAINING = 1440,
Now I did exercise "Walking, 2.0 mph, slow pace for 30min" and burnt 100 calories,
Confusing part is that, when I added those burned calories in exercise diary, CALORIES REMAINING increased to 1540 (increase of 100 calories).

Generally its concept that whenever someone do exercise, calories decrease. But in this case you can see CALORIES REMAINING increased.

Can anyone explain the myth of MFP.

Thanks
Sartaj

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    Options
    Your deficit is already factored in, but exercise is extra and works better when you actually fuel it.

Modest calorie deficit for fat loss.
    Exercise for health.

The general forums are a muck with myths and misconceptions so I would start here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/952996-level-obstacles-lose-weight-target-fat-easy
  • jamesbowlin
    jamesbowlin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Please read the following articles as it's spelled out for you there.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12031-what-are-net-calories-
    http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/410332-how-does-myfitnesspal-calculate-my-initial-goals-

The 1440 calories a day is based upon the preferences you setup for your calorie goals. For instance a normal male my age, weight, height, and lifestyle is supposed to get around 2750 calories a day to just maintain my current weight but if I want to lose 2 pounds a week which is my current goal then I would need to lose a 1000 calories a day from the previously mentioned calorie level thus making my goal 1750 calories a day for just living whatever lifestyle I currently live without any extra exercises. So if I exercise then it means I can consume whatever extra calories I've burned from the extra exercise to meet my daily goal or I don't have to. It takes 3500 calories to equal one pound.
  • CinthyN
    CinthyN Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Sartaj,

Your food calorie per day is 1440. The calories you burn from workout is called exercise calories.

As such, when you log into your food and exercise diary everyday, it will do the calculation for ya.

I'll illustrate a couple of scenarios for you:

E.g. Food calories recommended= 1440. Actual food calories consumed = 1400. Exercise = 100. As such your calories remaining is 1440 - 1400 + 100 = 100

E.g. Food calories recommended = 1440. Actual food calories consumed = 1200, Exercise = 100. As such your calories remaining is 1440 - 1200 +100 = 200.

E.f Food calories recommended 1440. Actual food calories consumed = 0, Exercise = 100. If you don't log for food, but log in exercise, then you will see what you see right now in your diary, which is 1440 - 0 +100 = 1540.

Hope this makes sense :)
  • sartajwali
    Options
    I highly appreciated guidance by all members in this regards.

Ms tryclyn, now I am very clear about MFP.
    -- 1440 calories/day is my budget [CALORIES REMAINING], which can be extended by burning calories with exercises.
    -- How much deficit of calories would you recommend for me? I am targeting 1.5 lb/week (weight loss)

Also jamesbowlin. CinthyN and zachbonner, I feel pleasure to thank you. great examples help me managing food and exercise routines.

I hope MFP will help me in getting my target.

Good luck for fellows as well.
  • jamesbowlin
    jamesbowlin Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I highly appreciated guidance by all members in this regards.

Ms tryclyn, now I am very clear about MFP.
    -- 1440 calories/day is my budget [CALORIES REMAINING], which can be extended by burning calories with exercises.
    -- How much deficit of calories would you recommend for me? I am targeting 1.5 lb/week (weight loss)

Also jamesbowlin. CinthyN and zachbonner, I feel pleasure to thank you. great examples help me managing food and exercise routines.

I hope MFP will help me in getting my target.

Good luck for fellows as well.

1.5lbs/week would be 5250 calories or 750 calories a day however your daily calorie budget has already taken the deficit into account. To find your personalized goal info visit the following link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
  • Barbara3800
    Barbara3800 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    While all of the above is true, I've been instructed to continue to use my original target caloric goal and not get used to using the ones I've earned through exercise. It can give you a false sense of "extra" food intake. That can be detrimental to your original goal of losing 1.5 # a week. I made the mistake, initially, of using up all of my earned calories and then didn't lose the weight I wanted. This may be common sense to most but as an largely overweight person, I wanted every calorie I could get. So, no matter what exercise I do, I stick to my original calorie target.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Confusing part is that, when I added those burned calories in exercise diary, CALORIES REMAINING increased to 1540 (increase of 100 calories).

Generally its concept that whenever someone do exercise, calories decrease. But in this case you can see CALORIES REMAINING increased.

Errr what?!? If I may make an analogy you're asking why a hole got bigger when you used a shovel to dig it deeper.

I think you are somehow mixing up Calories Eaten, and Calories Remaining.

Calories remaining is the amount you have not eaten yet. It's always:

Goal Calories - Eaten Calories = Calories Remaining

Eating food adds to Calories Eaten, so logging a meal will make Calories Remaining get smaller.

Doing exercise increases Goal Calories, so Calories Remaining will get bigger.

It's not mysterious. Eating food and doing exercise just change different numbers in a basic subtraction problem.
This discussion has been closed.