To those starting school in Sept.

Options
When do you find time to exercise? I start school again next week and I'm not sure when the best time to exercise would be. I think I'll want to have a snack or something after school, and then wait a little while before I exercise to digest? Or should I do it as soon as I get home? Or wait til the evening, that way I can shower at night for school, instead of maybe two times a day (a shower to get ready and after exercising?)
When do the rest of you exercise? I typically exercise an hour each day.

Replies

• zoerunsfaster
    zoerunsfaster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually find it easier to stick to an exercise routine when I'm at school because I'm in more of a daily routine.

I basically have two potential exercise slots a day - very first thing at 6am (before the kids get up) when I tend to do a DVD. This really sets me up for the day and gets it out the way, but can increase my appetite, or straight after school, when 2 or 3 days a week I go for a run. This has the advantage of suppressing my appetite, and I prefer exercising then, but if I have to work late or get delayed, I don't get e session in.

Generally my schedule looks like this, but it changes week by week
    Mon - 4pm run
    Tues - am DVD
    Wed - 4pm hill intervals
    Thurs - am DVD
    Fri - 4pm longer run
    Sat - rest
    Sun - whatever I feel like

Hope this helps
  • zoerunsfaster
    zoerunsfaster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh, and as far as food is concerned, I don't eat before AM exercise, and I have lunch at 1.30 so don't need a snack before shorter runs. If the Friday run is going to be longer than 60 mins I may have a banana and a tea with sugar in 20 mins before I go.
  • studentgirly
    studentgirly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get back to university so I have a routine.
    Either gym morning, then classes or classes then exercise classes in the evening.

Summer totally throws me off!
  • lydstil
    lydstil Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Okay cool, thank you! I might want to exercise in the morning, but my bus picks me up at 6:30 so I'd have to wake up really early to fit in an hour of exercise, a shower, breakfast, and other things to get ready before 6:30 rolls around. I think I'll eat something small (like you said, a banana or maybe some grapes or something) right after school and 20 min before I workout! Thank you for your input!!
  • lydstil
    lydstil Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wish I was already in college so I could have a variety of times for class instead of 8-3!
  • CaptainMilda
    CaptainMilda Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm in nursing school, currently at an internship at the hospital so I have to leave at 6:30-6:40 to get there. I'll workout in late in the afternoon/early evening (before 19:00) and I've decided to ride my bike at least twice a week to the hospital instead of the bus.
  • mandypie92
    mandypie92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Being in high school is definitely tough. I'm so grateful to be in college and have a more lenient schedule. That being said, my schedule is pretty hectic so I've been planning my workouts. I'm trying to get on the elliptical at my house in the morning for about 40 minutes most days and if not, I have been scheduling times for myself in the evening around class and various meetings, to get to the gym and do some weights with my cardio.

I'd definitely say try for after school (waking up before 6am is gonna be very draining). Have a small snack for energy so you aren't starving. I'd say wait a half hour-- an hour seems a bit long to digest. You'll work off the snack while you're exercising and it will give you great energy.
  • rose_84
    rose_84 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For me, I am in university so I use the gym at my school before or after classes (depending on when they are). Maybe do it right when you come home from school? Eat something small on the bus and once you get home you could work out.