Gluten Free

Options
2»

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

It has been exactly 5 weeks since I started my Gluten Free diet. Five weeks ago I was feeling so bad that I almost spent some time in the hospital. The doctor advised me to try a Gluten Free diet just to see what happened and sure enough, I feel amazing!

Unfortunately I am also low carb due to my PCOS and Insulin Resistance, so finding foods and recipes are becoming a challenge for me. I'm really staring to get tired of tostadas, salads and gluten free breads.

So what do your gluten free meals look like? If it's not low carb that is fine, I can always figure a way. I'm in desperate need of some delicious inspiration.

Also, I'd really appreciate any Gluten Free friends so I can stalk your diary.

Here's my favorite GF/low carb pancakes to make:
    http://www.nourishingdays.com/2010/07/fluffy-coconut-flour-pancakes/

And here's one of my favorite LC/GF sites for inspiration. Her Chocolate Brownie GF Mug Cake is so yummy & quick/easy!
    http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/

Altho I don't *have* to be GF, since I started a ketogenic diet, grains are pretty much out the window. My diary is open. You may see a tortilla here & there tho :)
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. Thanks for sharing tips and websites!:flowerforyou:
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm adding a link for you to one of my favorite websites. It's called skinnytaste.com. The URL attached is that for all the gluten-free recipes she has on the site. I've made tons of recipes from the site in general and never found one I haven't liked. I hope this helps you find some new and interesting things to try. I've been toying with the idea of going gluten free for awhile now to see if it makes me feel better too. Glad to know someone who's had success in doing so! :happy:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Gluten Free
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    One thing I'd like to add is that I guarantee that you will find PLENTY of low carb, gluten free on skinnytaste.com. Truly a fantastic site. May take awhile to go through it all, but totally worth it!!
  • sexysisam
    sexysisam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been GF for a while. I don't even allow it in our house because my son is so sensitive. I agree with another poster that said just to swap out gluten-y ingredients for GF versions. I really like Ancient Grains quinoa/corn pasta, corn tortillas, and Wendy Warks gluten free flour mix (I make my own mix, but it's also sold by Authentic Foods as "Multi blend mix"). My favorite bread is by Karen Robertson and she has an AMAZING GF cookbook that comes on DVD-rom to print off at home. Also King Arthur Flour has some great GF recipes that I use for my cakes, brownies, cookies, etc.

I did a blog post on it a year or two ago because my sisters would always tell their friends to call me.

http://naturallyfrugalmomma.blogspot.com/2011/02/going-gluten-free-what-worked-for-us.html

My diary should be open and I pretty much make EVERYTHING from scratch (way cheaper). So if you see something that intrigues you just ask and I can get you a recipe. I've been terrible about logging lately because my hubby has been in Europe for work and I have 4 littles. So I've been in survival mode; but he's back so I will start logging religiously again!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    My hubby is allergic to wheat and my granddaughter is celiac. The easiest way we've found is to just avoid things with wheat or gluten and forget the expensive gluten free replacements. They're expensive and usually have way more calories and sugar than the regular products, not to mention a lot of them taste like crap.

We cook most food from scratch so I control what is in it and we don't need to worry if it's been contaminated. The only thing we buy is rice pasta because by granddaughter loves her noodles and cheese!
  • HeartRN77
    HeartRN77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I do have celiac disease so feel free to friend me I can't eat any gluten or I get very sick I ended up with blood tranfussions because I became so anemic due to stomach damage. So for me it's more than a diet my best advice is eat whole foods,look up paleo that has worked for me,
  • alliemacd37
    Options
    I have also just started a gluten-free diet on recommendation from my GP. I am not celiac, but I see many posters referring to the bloated, lethargic feeling they get when they eat gluten, and after 2 weeks, I understand that already! I have an autoimmune disease that affects my joints as well, and they feel better than they have in 5 years! I was happy to find this thread, as it has so many good ideas and websites! I tried this site in January, but i had surgery in February, and I am just now back to normal, so I am ready to try again! I must say, the idea of gluten free sounded so difficult I was scared. I couldn't imangine what I would possibly eat, I was a bit of a breadaholic. Once I started though, I really enjoyed it. My doc told me to try for 4 weeks, but I can tell after 2 this will be a permanent change in my household! Anyone who wants to can add me as a friend as well :)
  • Lestaticon
    Lestaticon Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also don't have a medical issue with gluten, but I've been reducing or eliminating it from my diet the last few weeks. Only tip I can provide is to stick to whole foods and don't spend too much time preparing food. You can save time by just sticking to basics. Good thing about eating basic whole foods is that gluten elimination for me didn't affect my diet all that much. I just switched out the bread, but I don't eat much bread anyway other than the bad tendency to have some toast in the evening with peanut butter and fruit.

My breakfast is typically an egg white omelet with a mix of onions and peppers (which were frozen and pre-cut, no added sodium). Add a handful of spinach and a bit of shredded cheese for the fat, if you wish. Alternative breakfast is 1/2 cup of steel cut oats, 1oz of soy nuts, .5 oz of raw pecans, and 1 banana cut into it. Both breakfasts take about 15 minutes to make, 5 of which is actually handling the food. I make it as I'm getting ready for work in the morning. Breakfast like that, and you won't have to worry about gluten in general.

For lunch and supper, I buy all my meats and veggies on Monday after work. I may typically buy a package of extra lean ground turkey and a package of 3 or 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts. Go ahead and cook all of that at the beginning of the week. Grill the chicken breasts. Make some patties out of the turkey (or something else easy and quick) and grill them too.
    Go to the frozen veggie section of your grocery store and buy a few bags of various veggies. Get the bags that contain no added ingredients, like salt, spices, or sauces. Also consider, again for ease of use, the bags that you can put in the microwave to steam directly.
    Then for lunch and supper, just mix and match a meat with a bag of veggies. I also keep some of those individual steam bags on hand so if I haven't had time to cook the meat, I can put a chicken breast, raw, in a steam bag and cook it easily. Then steam cook the bag of veggies. Easy, quick, healthy, and gluten doesn't really enter the picture.

Mix in various fruits and veggies as snacks (Greek non-fat plain yogurt, berries, apples, celery, cucumbers), perhaps some hummus.
  • Wolfhuntress2002
    Options
    H All, I am recently starting this Gluten Free thing and a little overwhelmed with it all. However, the few things I have found to eat thus far have seemed to make me feel better and my GI issues are no more, or at least improving. Dr. placed me on the diet in hopes to avoid surgery. Right now I have had more progress with this than any meds they have placed me on over the last two years. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated
  • bushytail3
    bushytail3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I have been gluten-free since before I can remember. Luckily my pediatrician was ahead of the times and diagnosed me properly. Celiac's disease wasn't widely heard of in the 80s, and very few doctors were willing to accept it as a valid diagnosis.

Anyway, I don't know about low carb stuff, but I am going to go open my diary to friends right now so if you friend me you can hopefully get some ideas from what I eat. I will warn you that I eat some weird stuff sometimes :-)
    Feel free to also message me if you have any specific questions.
  • heavenlyb14
    heavenlyb14 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free with an open diary. If you want to know what is in a recipe or how it was made, just ask.
  • Fit_Chef_NE
    Fit_Chef_NE Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I was GF and paleo for a while and now I have loosened the paleo part but still hardly ever eat gluten. I eat a lot of potatoes because they have so much potassium and magnesium. I also make noodles from zucchini or spaghetti squash. I eat a limited amount of dairy as well. When I was strict paleo, it was the dairy I missed the most. I don't have any issues with dairy so after a while, I added it back in. I also eat legumes and will sometimes eat my meals over beans. I have been able to lose weight and I feel a lot better when I don't eat gluten.

TBH, I don't actually think it's the gluten that makes me feel crappy, but wheat in general in my case. I get terrible inflammation and bloating. Sodium is also terrible for this and many wheat products are loaded with sodium. I used to feel tired and run down all the time. I started drinking 64-100 oz of water a day and my energy is through the roof. I think hydration is another way to feel better. GF plus lots of water makes me feel like a kid again.

For people who don't really like water, I add berries, lemon and mint to a big pitcher and put it in the fridge overnight. It tastes amazing. You can even add a whole lemon and then add stevia or sweetener to your glass and make a nice lemonade. I haven't been bloated once since I started with the water, even during my TOM.