Vibro Plate

lesleyann21
lesleyann21 Posts: 6 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi am new, my first day 2day and is going well. I have purchased a vibro plate machine and i will be of using this for my exercise, i dont have time to do a dvd or a class, i can do 10 mins on the plate and it equates to 1 hour in the gym. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Lesley:smile:

Replies

• Never heard of this before. I burn at least 600 calories in an hour in the gym and your saying I can do that in 10 minutes??? Kinda skeptical...
  • i just googled it because i have never heard of it before. seems like it may be the next craze from all the video and options out there. keep us posted on your results!

one abc news video said the person using it has lost a pound a day. i'm sure she must have also modified her diet as well though.

hmmm?
  • lesleyann21
    lesleyann21 Posts: 6 Member
    http://www.crazyfit.com.au/

I got one of these from Ebay, I dont have time for the gym. I have started the diet chef today and will do 15 mins every nite which according the machine says i have used 348 calories. I will keep you updated, i have used it a couple o times already but due to getting the kitchen decorated not been able to use it.

L
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Hi am new, my first day 2day and is going well. I have purchased a vibro plate machine and i will be of using this for my exercise, i dont have time to do a dvd or a class, i can do 10 mins on the plate and it equates to 1 hour in the gym. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

The chances of 10 minutes on that thing being equal to an hour in the gym. (assuming you make good use of that hour) are slim and none! You would be better off doing 10 minutes of acual exercise.
  • This is the first time I have ever heard of it. I just googled it and it seems interesting. I will not be a skeptic. I will say get yourself a heart rate monitor and use it while you are on the Vibro Plate. That way you can compare the calories burned. You may be on to the next big thing in efficient exercise.

Friend us and let us how things turn out.

Good luck with your fitness goals.

-HB
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    This is the first time I have ever heard of it. I just googled it and it seems interesting. I will not be a skeptic. I will say get yourself a heart rate monitor and use it while you are on the Vibro Plate. That way you can compare the calories burned. You may be on to the next big thing in efficient exercise.

Friend us and let us how things turn out.

Good luck with your fitness goals.

-HB

HRM is useless on this type of exercise modality.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    From the research I have read, the weight loss and calorie burn estimations for vibrating plate are wild speculation based are the barest wisp of research evidence.

Vibration plates have been shown to have benefits in specific situations, mostly involving balance and sport-specific training. For someone just starting an exercise program, with all due respect, it will be difficult to see any benefit that could not be achieved by a basic, traditional strength-training program.

The idea of using a device/technique to "get an hour's worth of exercise in 10 minutes" is the type of misleading sloganeering that has been part of health/fitness marketing for at least 100 years.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member

Thanks

I have those vibro plates and I can assure you that if I went on it for 10 minutes, there is no way that it would burn 600 calories (which is the minimum I would burn in an hour in the gym). It would burn 100, if that, for 10 minutes.

Which begs the question, you may have misread the info, because 10 minutes burning 100 calories would equal to 600 calories if you stayed on it for an hour which is equal to the 600 calories burnt in an hour in the gym. However, you would not be allowed to go on it for an hour, it would not be recommended and would be damaging.

Be very, very wary of overestimating you calories, because if you are a person who eats all their exercise calories, you will be going way over your daily calorie intake and that would be a damn shame.
  • I used the vibro plate in my gym a couple of years ago when it first came out to intensify my strength training - doing the plank on one of those things is seriously hard work, and squats etc. are good - but personally I would use it as an aid, but not the only thing you do.
    I wouldnt discount DVDs, they are what has got me a lot of my results. DVDs can take only 20 mins / day if you get the right ones and combine it with healthy eating - and the DVD can burn off 280/300 cals (30 day shred, kettleworx, turbofire HIIT workouts).
    Good luck with your weightloss.
This discussion has been closed.