I am using Body Media Fit and MFP, I have a question.

Options
Nothing big here but I use Body Media Fit which is a great tool and it calculates my calorie burn and exercise time for me. Now at the same time I am using MFP and love this site. Now my question to any in the same boat is do you make any manual entry's in your exercise logs here at MFP? I am thinking that if I told it about my 1 hour walk then I would get a double adjustment for the same exercise since Body Media will already have it accounted for. Now having said that, I add an exercise note on most days where I can track what I am doing but I am wondering if there is a better way to do it when you use both MFP and BMF?

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    If you have both the BodyMedia and MFP apps, you don't log exercise on MFP as the app will pick it up from the other app.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    I only use MFP for my food entries. The body media will record all your activity and port it over to here on MFP. If you have any off body time, you will adjust it over at the BMF site. :-). I hope that helps.
  • BigAndTallSection
    BigAndTallSection Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. You both confirmed what I was thinking but just was not certain.
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It will double-count if you add it here. HOWEVER, the BodyMedia armband isn't as accurate as you think. I sweat like mad for a good 1.5 - 2 hours at the gym. My armband usually picks up about 20 minutes of moderate activity. That's it. The nice thing, though, is that I'm losing more weight than the BodyMedia app says I should be losing.

I'd say go with JUST what the armband says and see what happens. But if/when you find inconsistencies, make the adjustments in MFP but ONLY if it would help you in some way.
  • jvnoonway
    jvnoonway Posts: 24
    Options
    THe only think I use MFP for after getting my arm band is simply to log my food. I do not pay any attention to what it says about how many calories I have left, or log anything else, lol, I put my faith in my BMF
  • mlbqd3
    mlbqd3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    THe only think I use MFP for after getting my arm band is simply to log my food. I do not pay any attention to what it says about how many calories I have left, or log anything else, lol, I put my faith in my BMF

Agreed!!
  • stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Agreed!!

Same here :)
  • snelson1966
    snelson1966 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing, thanks all!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    It will double-count if you add it here. HOWEVER, the BodyMedia armband isn't as accurate as you think. I sweat like mad for a good 1.5 - 2 hours at the gym. My armband usually picks up about 20 minutes of moderate activity. That's it. The nice thing, though, is that I'm losing more weight than the BodyMedia app says I should be losing.

I'd say go with JUST what the armband says and see what happens. But if/when you find inconsistencies, make the adjustments in MFP but ONLY if it would help you in some way.

Mine does not double count. If I add an exercise manually, my bmf will subtract from what it has added. At least that is what I have noticed. I let my bmf do everything.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've calculated my calorie deficits and burns and I'm losing more than it says I should, as well. I'm thinking my body media fit is underestimating my calories burned slightly, but that's okay with me. A higher loss is a great thing!
  • pherring00
    pherring00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I realize this post is back from the spring, but I thought I'd add a little info here for anyone that finds it via google. I'm loving BodyMedia and MFP. Both have helped me get motivated and set on a path to lose some serious pounds and more importantly, get myself healthy again.

During the non-workout times BM is just fine, but for workouts, I started feeling what others have mentioned before that it seems to under record calories burned. I started using a HRM with my workouts as well and below are a few things I've noticed:

Strength Training - I'm doing P90x and BM seems to calculate slightly under my HRM for calorie burn (even during Yoga).

Cycling - BM just doesn't work well for biking (did a 15 mile back ride and it recorded 63 steps and 200 calories burned). I've tried placing the monitor all over my arm, but it just doesn't work. I now wear it on my calf to get the step count and utilize my HRM as well. Example: Did a simple 15 mile ride today (i.e. lots of nice hills) BM recorded 540 calories burned and HRM had 940. I just added an exercise to MFP for 400 to get the entire burn.

Running - Must be honest here, I haven't done a lot of jogging with it yet. The couple times I've gone the HRM and BM seem to be fairly close.

However, I must admit that I'd never go back to trying exercising without MFP or BM. The simple fact that I'm tracking my food in-take is/was an eye opening experience.