Craving Fruit

Options
For the past couple of months, I've been trying to consciously make healthier decisions when it comes to food. Today, I had to be out and I got hungry for a snack. Instead of craving chocolate or chips, I found myself practically drooling at the thought of some fresh fruit. I got a red delicious apple, and it was truly delicious. The same thing happened the other night. I'm really happy about this. I was curious if this is just my body now craving things that are better for me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies

• gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I went to the store at 10:30 the other night because I HAD to have fresh pineapple!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    For the past couple of months, I've been trying to consciously make healthier decisions when it comes to food. Today, I had to be out and I got hungry for a snack. Instead of craving chocolate or chips, I found myself practically drooling at the thought of some fresh fruit. I got a red delicious apple, and it was truly delicious. The same thing happened the other night. I'm really happy about this. I was curious if this is just my body now craving things that are better for me. Has anyone else experienced this?

Congratulations! And yes, it has happened to me too.
    Apparently, red delicious is one of the healthiest fruits you can have. There is an extraordinary amount of anti-oxidants in the skin and the apple is packed with fibre.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-best-apple/

kind regards,

Ben
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    funny-kid-wallpaper_eat_the_fruit_2013-300x225.jpg
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've ALWAYS been obsessed over fruit. If I'm not careful, I will allow myself to binge eat on an oranges and apples. I have a love/hate relationship with them because I am diabetic.

Last year when I was teaching, I would go to the cafeteria and just buy one orange from the lunch line. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. One day the lunch lady was like..."what's with you and oranges?" and I just told her that I had a crazy orange addiction. Which I do...

Later in the year I told my students that the way I graded papers depended on what kind of fruit I was eating at the time. If it was a banana it was a B, cherry was a C, Dates were a D .... I got a lot of Avocados and Apples the last few weeks of school. lol

I got to remind myself that no one ever got fat off of eating fruit. lol
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've ALWAYS been obsessed over fruit. If I'm not careful, I will allow myself to binge eat on an oranges and apples. I have a love/hate relationship with them because I am diabetic.

Last year when I was teaching, I would go to the cafeteria and just buy one orange from the lunch line. EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. One day the lunch lady was like..."what's with you and oranges?" and I just told her that I had a crazy orange addiction. Which I do...

Later in the year I told my students that the way I graded papers depended on what kind of fruit I was eating at the time. If it was a banana it was a B, cherry was a C, Dates were a D .... I got a lot of Avocados and Apples the last few weeks of school. lol

I got to remind myself that no one ever got fat off of eating fruit. lol

This is a little off the subject, but it's nice to meet a teacher here. I used to teach fifth grade and hope to return soon. :)
  • lucystacy71
    Options
    While I was at the store, I bought a watermelon, cantaloupe, and a bag of apples. I already have some oranges and grapes. Tomorrow I'm treating myself to a nice fruit salad.

I'm happy I'm craving fruit now.
  • narsgirl79
    narsgirl79 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I Crave fruit all the time too! I Has this thing where I craved Almond Milk and Grapes! Or Almond milk and Bananas! Like My co-workers makes fun of me cause she says "Are you eating Grass and berries again???" Lol!

Work for me!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I find that I crave fruit mostly in the spring and summer. I wonder if it's some ingrained base instinct...fill up on fruit in season while it's plentiful, then crave something more hearty (and starchy) in the the fall and winter.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Overeating 300 cals of strawberries or bananas has to be better than eating 300 cals of ice cream.
  • lucystacy71
    Options
    I don't know if it's instinctual or not. I used to never eat fruit and vegetables. (Sad, but true.) I ate mostly meat. Lately, I've been making myself eat fruits and veggies with my meals and now I'm actually wanting to eat fruits.

Sadly, bananas are one of the foods I'm never allowed to eat much of - along with tomatoes.
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to get like that when I was eating healthier. I used to love getting a fresh apple after school :D It's really awful now, though, because I suddenly got really allergic to apples in the past two years. I hate it, it's like the best fruit and I can't eat it
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    soundsl ike your body knows what's good for it!

I crave fruit all the time - i've said many times that i could live happily off smelly cheese, crusty bread, and fruit.
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When we quit sugar snd sugary foods, the sugar craving has to turn to something. Fructose is allowable. Lots of vitamins, minerals and fiber. How ever, it's still a "sugar", in the "ose" family. No more than 2 to 3 servings a day. I could eat mangos, apples and drink OJ by the train car load if I'm not careful.
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

Must be you Op. I still crave chocolate. Today I had cookies and a milkshake.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar experience! I find myself thinking "boy, some raw carrots would be really good right now", and wanting to eat brown rice. And I find myself really wanting a big cold glass of water more often that I want iced tea or soda. Of course, I still crave sugar and fat and chocolate too- I'm sitting here eating a snack bag of Cheez-Its as I type. But hey, it's just a snack-sized bag! This is progress for me! \O/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that problem. lol. I rarely really crave fruit. My favorite is peach and even if it's in season, they're often hard as brick and disgusting sadly. Or yellow plums, but I only found them once this year :(
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I was ecstatic that the beets were big at the store this week so I could have them as snacks! Beets AS SNACKS! And the last time I tasted a diet Coke, it tasted disgusting and I poured it down the sink. What is happening to me!?!:sad: