Question for 30DS Beginners

Options
Hey guys,

I'll just start off by saying I am an uber-beginner! :) Not physically fit at all, but really want to change that.

I kept hearing great things about Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred, so I figured it would be a good starting point. I started Level 1 today, but I just couldn't finish it. I understand that it's not possible for someone who is in as little shape as I am to make it through pulling off the moves like Natalie does my first go around, but I guess I just thought I would have at least been able to make it doing the modified moves, even with a few breaks here and there.

I did get up to circuit 3 three at least, but I'm a little discouraged I pooped out. For anyone who started out with the 30 Day Shred, did you experience the same thing? Do I need to just keep at it until I can finish the workout? Or maybe I'm just jumping in too much too soon and need to find something else to start with?

Replies

• thatdarncass
    thatdarncass Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was similar when I first started the 30 Day Shred a few years ago. I say just keep going through it, and take rests when you need to. You won't see your physical fitness increase without some work. When I first did it, I had to go through each week twice to be ready for the following week. So, it turned out to be a 60 Day Shred for me. :) But that really helped me on my overall fitness, and now I can do a lot of other things.

One thing to mention, however. I also did Jillian Michaels' Ripped in 30, and ended up severely hurting my knee due to all the plyometrics in that dvd. My friend also ended up hurting her knee from that video. So I'd suggest staying away from that one and getting some of her others if you like her style.
  • MrsWibbly
    MrsWibbly Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I barely made it through L1D1 first time round and only survived by only doing half a set of almost everything (couldn't even do 1 push up!) The jumping up and down was a killer - really struggled with that so cheated and did my own 'low impact' version just to try and keep going.

By day 10 it was a different story - could still only do 6/7 push ups before I fell on my face but I could complete each of the cardio sections without collapsing in breathless agony.

The killer in the first few days was the legs and butt - OMG did they hurt....

I just kept going

Too stubborn to give in I guess!

By day 4 I felt like I'd had a break through - my legs weren't killing me and I didn't feel like my chest was going to explode.

KEEP GOING

EACH DAY WILL BE EASIER THAN THE PREVIOUS DAY
  • KateBarnhart85
    KateBarnhart85 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I cried, go mad, stormed outta the garage (where my workout room was) I didn't go back for a few days.... I just did a couple then rested for a few secs, did a few more, rested a lil bit. I did it my own way but made it through. I couldn't lift my weights to my eyes during the side lunges so I just lifted them as far as I could, I couldn't do as many crunches so I did as many as I could skipped a couple then started again... I took me like 2 weeks or so before I made it through level 1. Just DONT GIVE UP. Make it your own, you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself so just do what you can and try to do at least 1 more each time. Good luck on your journey, I just started doing 30 day shred again today because its been a couple of years since I did it and I fell off the wagon
  • sdivin
    sdivin Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I feel a bit better now. :) I know it's just going to take time to get better, but it's nice to know I'm not completely suckingat this yet. lol Will definitely try to stay motivated and stick with it. We all have to start somewhere.
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am doing 30DS too but not every day. I need a day in between for my muscles to regenerate. I do have to stop once in awhile to let my breathing catch up and for some reason every time we start to do the situps it triggers an asthma attack for me. (maybe situps after cardio is the trigger.) I have even used my inhaler prior to starting the tape and still had an attack. But I am finding it getting easier. I still can't do a regular push up, but I keep up doing wall push ups while they are doing the floor type. I am determined to do this and if it takes me 3 months to finish than that is what I will do.
  • jessmashburn
    jessmashburn Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I still have not finished but I started this summer. Vacations haven messed up my schedule but I am hoping to start back this week. The first time I did it I thought I would DIE! I did about half of everything. I could barely walk by the third day but it started getting better by day 4. I have read were some people would do L1 on Day 1, L2 on Day 2, L3 on Day 3. I want to try that this time because I messed up my knee by about Day 8 of L1. I quit altogether and now I wish I would have just tried another level. It will get easier so don't give up!
  • uptomoonandback
    uptomoonandback Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Do you guys have the videos or are these available online?
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It was really hard for me to finish strong like jillian micheals put it, but I just kept going even if I had to take a bunch of breaks for like 2-5 seconds. It really does get easier after just a 5-7 days, just try again the next day, and take a rest day after the very first day because you will be veryyy sore. I was so sore I felt like I couldn't walk straight. Just give it your best.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

You can actually find them on youtube.
    Also, you do not have to switch to the second level workout after just 10 days. I plan on doing workout 1 for 30 days and then workout 2 for the month after that and so on.
  • jessmashburn
    jessmashburn Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I got my dvd from amazon for $7
  • sdivin
    Options
    I've read a few posts where people have opted to extend it out like that. Considering how today went, I'm wondering if I may need to adjust the schedule a bit myself. :)

We shall see though. I'm feeling determined! Plan to take everyone's advice here and just keep going. I'm sure that, as long as I do see some improvement, it will motivate me to keep going.
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You find it does get easier as you go along. I have a bit of a problem with all the jumping with my knees. But I do a few modifications so that I can continue along. I know that decreases some of the cardio benefits but I also still do the treadmill so I am not worried about that.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I'm on day three. extremely overweight (256) but thought I'll give it a try. something is better than nothing. my *kitten*, thighs, and bottom of my stomach hurt so bad/so good. I wonder if I'll be able to keep up with consecutive days but I'll try.
  • EmmaOnTrack
    EmmaOnTrack Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing L1 Day 8 today after work. Like you, the first day I thought I was going to die and although I DID finish it was a pretty poor effort and I didn't believe her when she said it would be easier come day 5/6.

She was telling the truth!! I now finish off strong and even manage to do the last set of jumps with a little air under my feet!

I'm absolutely shocked at how quickly my body/lungs have adjusted so although I can't see any physical difference yet something is definitely working...can't wait to get stuck in to Level 2 on Saturday!
  • sdivin
    Options
    I am starting to learn firsthand what you guys are saying! :) Day 3 done and it is getting easier. I'm still having to take a break here and there, but I made it through the entire level yesterday and today and took even less breaks today. I'm so relieved! lol It's motivating! Of course, I'm scheduled to take a rest day tomorrow (really just because the day is packed) and I'm afraid to because I don't want to lose my mojo. :P

And, Istroth1, I wouldn't think making a few modifications due to a knee issue would make that much of a difference. Like qtgonewild said, something is better than nothing. :) I should probably look into some possible modifications myself; at least until I'm fit enough to glide through the workout.

Well, I'm feeling good. Off to make fish tacos!