Greetings! I'm new and want to discuss fat intake...

Options
Howdy! I'm new here and have for the past five years been on and off in keeping track of my daily food intake / exercise regimen. I was a chubby teenager ( 5'4" 185 at 16) and got as low as 129 when I was 19 partially due to not eating enough and partially to actually learning about healthy foods and exercising every day. Between the ages of 21 and 23 I pretty much gained most of my weight back (mostly due to not keeping track and ... beer... how I love beer). I'm pretty much just looking for a buddy and insights on diet. I've been to culinary school and hope to further my study in nutritional sciences, and I've been reading a lot lately about how fat isn't really the enemy the marketing world puts it out to be. Now when I say fats, I'm talking about healthy fats, coconut oil, avocados, olive oil, etc. According to my tracker on here, I'm consuming too much fats... however they are all from the aforementioned sources. I was wondering if that would be cause for concern for my get healthy journey or if I should not regard my fat intake as much if I'm taking care they come from healthy sources. Any opinions/experience? Thanks!!

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    1- my 16 yr old is thinking about culinary school

2- exactly how much fat are you getting? I eat about 1600 calories. My fats are set to 53 grams. I eat between 45 and 60 grams and am doing fine. I try to keep it close to 50-53, but don't mind if I go,over if it,s the healthier fats.
    (I am 5'6", 135#, 41 yrs old)
  • artgod
    Options
    I think if they are healthy fats then don't worry about it. I watch my fat in take and just look over my daily intake, if it is from olive oil and raw nuts, then I don't sweat it. I do the same for carbs, if they are from natural fruits and whole grain then I am good, I just stay away from the white sugar and white flour.
  • I am eating 40% good fat at the advice of my nutritionist to address some HDL/LDL ratio issues. As a result, my cholesterol and ratios are better now that they have ever been in 15 years. I eat lots of avocado, almonds, olive oil, avocado oil, and even eggs. I was advised to try to eats some good fat and vegetables at every meal. This has been fantastic advice. Definitely don't worry about it. My doctor supported this approach during my recent annual physical. He said keep on doing what you are doing. Also I am exercising quite a bot, so that helps too. I eat almond butter as my pre-workout meal and that works really well for me.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I am eating 40% good fat at the advice of my nutritionist to address some HDL/LDL ratio issues. As a result, my cholesterol and ratios are better now that they have ever been in 15 years. I eat lots of avocado, almonds, olive oil, avocado oil, and even eggs. I was advised to try to eats some good fat and vegetables at every meal. This has been fantastic advice. Definitely don't worry about it. My doctor supported this approach during my recent annual physical. He said keep on doing what you are doing. Also I am exercising quite a bot, so that helps too. I eat almond butter as my pre-workout meal and that works really well for me.

I eat a lot of fat too, although I don't know for sure which ones are "good," other than not-trans-fats. It doesn't seem to have hurt my HDL/LDL ratio either.