has anyone used meal replacement shakes? opinions?

Options
Has anyone used meal replacement shakes? How did it work out as far as keeping the weight off. Days that I work, I'm guilty for skipping breakfast. Plus I work in retail. I know shakes wouldn't be an easy fix. But healthy snacking, regular meals at the same hour is impossible.

Replies

• jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have homemade smoothies for my breakfasts. I only use yogurt and fruit but there are many different ways to make them. I work Monday-Thursday so I make enough for all week on Sunday. I freeze them and the night before I am going to have it I put it in the fridge to thaw. By the morning it is usually ready to eat but sometimes they need a little more help so I put it in a water bath (usually a bowl with water in it to submerge the smoothie in) to help them along while I am getting ready. I really feel that these have helped me lose my weight and I plan on continuing. The way I make them also gets me one serving of dairy and two servings of fruit in one meal! I hope this helps :)
  • SherryB0081
    SherryB0081 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Meal replacement shakes have never really satisfied me until I come across Advocare's brand. I have been using the meal replacement shakes for lunches somedays. They taste really good and I'm not still hungry afterwards. These have 24 grams of protein and are only 220 calories.
  • MellieCc
    MellieCc Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I decide to try the protein shakes at costco. I bought the powder protein and shake it myself.
    It works great for me, it does replace a meal but I do find that I am hungry after so most times I have a big salad with it and it works great. :) HTH
  • sj_1970
    Options
    I did, I liked genisoy because of the protein content & it's soy. I liked them but I also felt like I missed chewing. Also made me gassy and there's such conflicting info about soy out there. So I figured I'd go back to chewing and try the whole foods approach instead. I recently started making versions of this though because I really like oatmeal. http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal And I never have time in the AM and work is so busy that I can do a little of this in the AM stick it back in the fridge and do more on break if needed. I use goat milk or kefir in it though. (no milk or regular/greek yogurts - my personal choice) I use the fruits and sometimes I use other nuts/seeds, something other than the chia seeds they're expensive. I also use Red Mill oats because they have 7g of protein in them per serving. If I don't get enough protein I lose my hair.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I have, they are great when I don't have time for breakfast, better than nothing! I like the ones from complete nutrition.
  • garciabnm
    Options
    i have one every morning for breakfast. no time in the am to cook since im out the door at the butt crack of frack. I really enjoy them to be honest
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have a protein shake every morning for breakfast. One scoop of Syntrax Nectar Chocolate Truffle, one scoop of Big Train Fit Frappe Mocha, 8 ounces of light soy milk, a frozen banana (or some other frozen fruit), and a little water so it isn't quite as thick. Sometimes I'll toss in some spinach and baby carrots too. My Nutribullet makes all of the "pieces" basically disappear. I can't taste the spinach or carrots, but at least I know I'm getting some veggies in.

My morning routine is to take a shower, put on face moisturizer, add the hair stuff, then I go make my shake. I bring it into the bathroom to drink while I am finishing up getting ready. (Drying/styling hair and putting on makeup.)

I typically leave for work around 6:30 am and I don't want to have to get up EARLIER just so that I can sit down and eat breakfast.

If you typically skip breakfast, then a meal replacement shake would be an excellent alternative. (Something better than nothing.) The trick is finding what you like. Ready made vs. powder. If powder, do you want to blend it in a blender (gets thick) or use a blender bottle (chocolate milk consistency).
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have, they are great when I don't have time for breakfast, better than nothing! I like the ones from complete nutrition.

How much does this cost? Just curious. I'm always up for trying something new.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I don't buy prepackaged shakes, but I make my own when I want one. However, I don't drink shakes/smoothies often so that I can keep my calories under control.

This morning, I woke up really hungry but too tired to cool, so I made my own high-protein shake. I blended 1 frozen banana, 1 1/2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk, and a half-scoop of chocolate whey protein powder for 333 calories. Yesterday I did the same, but didn't have protein powder, so I used 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt instead.

I personally find making shakes fun, so if possible, I would recommend experimenting with different combinations yourself! Homemade options are healthier and tastier than the canned stuff.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I use them occasionally. I think the difference between me and a typical shake drinker, though, is that I don't set out to take away a meal and replace it with a shake. Instead, since I'm counting calories, I use it on days/times when I'm short on calories, don't feel like eating anything, and need a convenient and easy way to get a few extra calories in.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have protein shakes and a piece of fruit usually or oatmeal when it's cold. I make my shakes with milk to help keep me full and will sometimes add some nut butter. I usually have an apple or banana, they are easy to eat in the car. I plan on continuing this even when I get to maintenance because I'm really active and need all the protein I can get.
  • MoniqueSQU
    Options
    I am using it as we speak. I have a busy live and I am not able to cook healthy all the time. I am very happy with the results as well as the taste and simplicity. It is quite expensive though but it contains a lot of healthy ingredients, is ready in 2 minutes and just 150 calories. If you can affort it I would recommend this to everyone. I have lost 3 kilos in 3 weeks without doing things differently.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    If you are not willing to use it for the rest of your life, then I would not. Healthy eating, save your money!
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I love shakes in the morning they keep me feeling light!
    I make my own with fruit, veggies, a good fat, protein from greek yogurt and dairy sub like almond milk
    It has all the nutrition i want and does keep me full for a while before I need a snack!
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    nvm.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I buy the 11oz premier protein vanilla at Costco and use them when I'm in a big hurry and don't have time to cook. My husband takes them every morning for his breakfast - better than the cheese stick he used to have LOL. They do the job and are better than no breakfast imho
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use Shakeology for breakfast, lately I can't stomache food in the morning. It has helped me so much with my hair and nails. They grow much stronger and faster. And it helps with my cravings :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Has anyone used meal replacement shakes? How did it work out as far as keeping the weight off. Days that I work, I'm guilty for skipping breakfast. Plus I work in retail. I know shakes wouldn't be an easy fix. But healthy snacking, regular meals at the same hour is impossible.

Why do you feel guilty for skipping breakfast? There is NO need to eat breakfast if you don't have time. As long as you are getting your calories throughout the rest of the day, you are good. The timing of calories or frequency of those calories doesn't matter in the weight loss game. Now, if it would cause you to splurge, that is another issue. Personally, i make dinner at night as I leave early. But if you like a shake, you can pick up any protein shake that taste good.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've bought the Special K breakfast shakes in the past. ONLY when I've had a coupon as they are to expensive to buy any other time. (They are nearly $7 for 4 shakes) I enjoyed them and found them filling enough for breakfast. I typically only have a small breakfast so they are good enough for me. I haven't tried any other ones or tried making them.
  • imzadi481
    imzadi481 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I always have bottles of the Special K shakes in my fridge. I don't take them often, but they come in handy once in a while when I'm running late. I try never to skip breakfast because it causes me to overindulge later in the day. But if you don't overindulge when skipping breakfast, then I wouldn't worry about it :)