help

don't know where to start on my weight loss journey..

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    First of all work out how many calories you are on. Weigh and measure everything you eat and log it all. It's best to pre-log as much as you can as it helps you stay on target.
  • my log says I'm on 1460 calories ...how much should I be eating a day
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    That's what you should be eating.
  • mockchoc
    That sounds good. See how you go on that for a week or two.
  • is that daily?
  • OK kool :)
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Yes, it is daily. First, get into the habit of measuring everything you eat. Whether you are using a scale or cups/spoons. Many people (myself included) under estimate portion sizes even with healthier foods! You should try to eat all of your allotted calories per day, as mfp has calculated a deficit for you already. Good luck!
  • mockchoc
    Yes daily. Aim for that number as much as you can. Don't eat way under and make sure you eat most of any exercise calories that you do as well.
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    I'm at 1460 calories a day too. I don't necessarily (nor hardly ever) reach my daily goal, but I do my best to reach at least 1200 calories. If you add me, you can see my diary and get some ideas from it. I normally make everything into a yummy salad. :D
  • yes & thank u guys for the help :)
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Unlike some others here, I would check a few other places to try to get confirmation that the daily target is really right for you. So can I ask, what is your age, weight, height, and how much are you trying to lose. All those things will play an important factor in determining your daily target. Are you exercising, and if so, how much and how often?

1480 may be right, but I've always wanted to check multiple sources to verify things. But that may just be me.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    I'm at 1470. On days that I don't exercise, I find it a bit challenging to meet that goal and I sometimes go a bit over. If I do exercise, I have no trouble at all meeting that goal. MFP sets it up so that when you exercise you sort of 'earn' those calories to eat beyond your pre-stated goal. Do that, do eat those calories...that's how the math on this site works. It will make more sense as you do it and get the feel for it.

You'll see that you'll sometimes go 'over' on protein, or on carbs, or whatever, yet still be 'under' on your total calories. Don't sweat it. It's all OK. Focus more on proteins, that's where it's definitely OK to be high. And MFP sets that low anyway. That's changeable, btw, you can go into your settings and change any of the numbers you need too. Again, that will make more sense as you do it.

Don't worry about being 'perfect' every day. Just do your thing. Work at making good choices and getting balanced nutrients. But don't spend your whole life obsessing. You'll get there.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Take a look at the "Newbies" post stickied at the top of this forum page. The links in there will get you started. Good luck!