A MUST READ, I need advice

MrsBrosco
MrsBrosco Posts: 295
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have always had a complexion when it comes to my weight. In high school I was cute but weighed around 145 (not large by any means but not small like my friends). After high school I started to pack on the lbs. My husband and I met when I weighed 145lbs and he married me when I weighed 206lbs and he still loved me when I hit 230lbs. I currently weigh 164!!! So my question is... How do I get rid of the "Big Girl" mentality. I feel as though no matter how much weight I lose i'm never going to be confident or feel good about myself. How do you get past these feelings??

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    I was "buxom" my whole life. A 12/14 in high school. A 16 in college. I was 175 when I got married and I blossomed to 240. I had enough and I lost 105 pounds and ended up 135 and a size 6. I had NEVER been a size 6. It took a while but eventually I got use to looking at myself as thin. At first I would automatically reach for a 10 or 12 KNOWING I was a 6 but never realizing it. It takes a while but I went from a "thin girl trapped in a fat body" to a "fat girl trapped in a thin body" to... I'm just me. After my husband fell ill and passed away I packed back on the weight and got fed up with myself at 185 , always tired and lazy and hungry. Now I'm headed back to the smaller me. I am the same me, but I like the me that can move better.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    When you start talking/thinking negative things about yourself put a stop to it and replace it with something positive. Try to say something nice about yourself to yourself everyday. I know sounds silly, but I believe it helps.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    My top weight was 302 and I lost down to 150 lbs and had the same issue. It was very hard for me to adjust so hard infact I gained back up to 263 and I am trying to lose again current weight 225. I never really saw my self as small with all the extra skin it made it difficult. Also all the added attention was difficult to understand all of a sudden men were noticing me and hitting on me and I was hurt by this instead of pleased by it.
    I guess looking at things today the best advice I can give you is to keep talking about it . Get the feeling out and maybe with encouragement and support you will feel comfortable in your own skin. Oh and don't buy any magazines with twig models on the cover. The concept of what is thin these days is completely insane. Feel health and smile all the time. Congrads.
  • I think its less about starting to love yourself because you are thinner, its about loving yourself no matter what.. At least for me, when i think bad about myself, even in the past tense... like 'Ick I was so fat" is being cruel to yourself and adding to how you can't realize how awesome you look now. an acting teacher of mine literally made us take time in the morning to hug ourselves and thank ourselves and think about all the reasons we are awesome. It's corny and cheesy and HARD to do at first. but I found it really helped me LIKE myself (and I was much heavier then). I truly believe that loving yourself NO matter what is the only way to get rid of that mentality because once you take off the fat girl glasses, you will see yourself for the way you look right now, and you will love that!
  • sorry it double posted.. :/
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    I think I know how you feel... I've always been a bigger girl and I was at my largest in collage at about 195 lbs (I'm 5'3") I found a great guy who lives a pretty active lifestyle and has always been tiny. He doesn't have problems with over-eating nor does he have any desire to over indulge in sweets like myself. After being together for awhile he brought up how he'd like it if I were more active and if I lost a little weight. Completely shocked and saddened I decided to prove him wrong and I've lost nearly 60 pounds - more than he says he ever expected. Now I enjoy doing things I didn't do before and look forward to more activities like bike riding, hiking, etc. Things I'd never in my life done before, never even tried.. I look back and know I have made a change and I was just lazy before. I'm still stuck with the thought that my boyfriend thinks I'm too fat. (although he doesn't and never has said so) When I look at my body I don't feel like I see a lot of a difference.. my belly seems so large and I don't remember it being larger even though I know my measuring it's at least 5 inches smaller. I also don't see myself getting much smaller... but I'm not entirely happy with the way I look. I guess I'm saying you're not alone and I'm searching for answers on getting past these fat feelings too. Congrats on your loss! You look great!
  • While I do not have advice, I want to thank you for posting this. I feel the exact same way! I have always been the funny, fat friend, and part of me fears that I don't know who I will be if I lose the weight. Or even more silly, that my friends won't like me...almost as if they are my friends because they feel sorry for me being the fat girl. I know this is totally unhealthy and has caused me to sabotage my previous weight loss efforts once I got down to a certain weight and people were noticing. I am currently at my all time heaviest and cannot stand how uncomfortable I am in my own skin. If anyone else has some ideas of how to deal with the fear of losing weight, I would love to hear more. At a minimum, I think the support of others is what I will rely on for this journey, and admitting my fear is a big first step for me.

Good luck in your journey too! :)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    It's important to learn to divorce yourself from what the scale says. Scales measure your muscles, organs, bones, water, undigested food, etc. They don't measure your self-worth as a person or how well you've behaved.

Some people can work that through without outside help, but it's hard. Some people need therapy. Others have found Overeaters Anonymous to be helpful.
  • I have a hard time with this too. i've never felt skinny and recently my neighbor who is skinny gave me some cloths and I fit in them, My thought was oh my word I fit in the skinny chic cloths, i posted that and one of my friends said ya know that means your a skinny chic, but i cant bring myself to call myself skinny, I dont' think I'm fat anymore, just average. I think it just takes time and a constant positive self talk.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I think its less about starting to love yourself because you are thinner, its about loving yourself no matter what..

This.

Now... how to do that... I don't know. I *should* know, I suppose... but I don't. I think that is part of the reason I'm here with all of this extra weight to begin with... and I am hoping I'll figure it out along the weight loss journey. Starting now with the fact that I am important enough to invest the time to help me get healthier. :)

I also have to say that I think it is normal to lose weight and still feel like you look the same. I lost about 25 pounds last time I tried to lose weight (that is the picture in my profile right now)... I thought I still looked the same. *Now* I just wish I looked like that!
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    I've never been the skinny one either. I was up to 175 in high school. Then in college I walked everywhere and got down to 150, but at the same time my new friends were tiny! So even though I was smaller I ended up feeling bigger.

Now I'm older and picking my daughter up from school, of course I'm checking out the other moms. I still don't fit in the skinny category like some of them do, but I am starting to take pride in making it into the healthy category. I'm not sentimental about my post-baby fat. There's no reason to keep it. Not just that, but I walk like I mean it. No sore back or knees here.
  • While I do not have advice, I want to thank you for posting this. I feel the exact same way! I have always been the funny, fat friend, and part of me fears that I don't know who I will be if I lose the weight. Or even more silly, that my friends won't like me...almost as if they are my friends because they feel sorry for me being the fat girl. I know this is totally unhealthy and has caused me to sabotage my previous weight loss efforts once I got down to a certain weight and people were noticing. I am currently at my all time heaviest and cannot stand how uncomfortable I am in my own skin. If anyone else has some ideas of how to deal with the fear of losing weight, I would love to hear more. At a minimum, I think the support of others is what I will rely on for this journey, and admitting my fear is a big first step for me.

Good luck in your journey too! :)

Thanks for being so honest. I find this thread really interesting. I'm down 57.6lbs (just short of half of what I need to get off) and I'm noticing differences but still feel I look huge and find it hard to see the difference when just looking at myself in the mirror. I don't know how I'll feel when I get closer, but I hope it's ok. I never thought about friends not liking me, or not knowing who I am, who knows? But I think the thought of people treating me differently and being different is what excites and motivates me.
  • I think its less about starting to love yourself because you are thinner, its about loving yourself no matter what..

This.

Now... how to do that... I don't know. I *should* know, I suppose... but I don't. I think that is part of the reason I'm here with all of this extra weight to begin with... and I am hoping I'll figure it out along the weight loss journey. Starting now with the fact that I am important enough to invest the time to help me get healthier. :)

I also have to say that I think it is normal to lose weight and still feel like you look the same. I lost about 25 pounds last time I tried to lose weight (that is the picture in my profile right now)... I thought I still looked the same. *Now* I just wish I looked like that!

no, I dont think most people know.. I think its a journey in life you can never fully find the answer but things get better the more you try.

Also, I completely agree with the second thing you said, because I have lost 30 LBS as of right now, and I dont see any difference at all when I look in the mirror, but everyone I see comments on it. Frustrating isnt it?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I have a theory. My theory is that everyone has a mental image of themselves and that image is of them at a certain weight and age. My mental image is of a 145 lb. 35 year old!

So, when I was over 200 lb., I would look in the mirror and I wouldn't see 225 lb. I would see that I was fatter than I liked, but only looking at a photograph would really show me how fat I really was. Then, when I lost weight, I just felt like I was looking more like myself. I still thought I looked much better than I did because I was thinking I looked a lot more like my mental image. Again, pictures would bring me up short because I'd be heavier in them than I expected.

At some point, I got thinner than my mental image. That was the point where I would look in the mirror or at photos and instead of being shocked that I was fatter than I thought, I'd be shocked that I was thinner than I though. To this day, a year after getting to goal, I tend to think of my middle as being about 10 lb. fatter than it really is.

As for the age thing... heh, let's not go there, okay? :laugh:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    I have always had a complexion when it comes to my weight. In high school I was cute but weighed around 145 (not large by any means but not small like my friends). After high school I started to pack on the lbs. My husband and I met when I weighed 145lbs and he married me when I weighed 206lbs and he still loved me when I hit 230lbs. I currently weigh 164!!! So my question is... How do I get rid of the "Big Girl" mentality. I feel as though no matter how much weight I lose i'm never going to be confident or feel good about myself. How do you get past these feelings??

It will happen, probably when you accidentally catch a reflection of yourself as you walk past a shop window or something. Suddenly you see you are slim, far smaller than you were before. It will be that sort of experience that will start to change the way you see yourself.
  • NurseLocke
    NurseLocke Posts: 103 Member
    You may not be the 145# you were in high school but you an absolutely beautiful 164# mother of a beautiful little girl. You have a curvy figure that most of your female counterparts would LOVE to have. Some women look better with a little meat on their bones (take Star Jones for example!) And I'm not calling you fat by any means, but you have to realize that you are now HEALTHY. You can't rely on a number on the scale. You look amazing - I'm sure you feel a hell of a lot more amazing since losing 70#! Stressing out about not being the same weight you were when you and Dave met is ridiculous. Dave thinks you are the sexiest thing alive. Love what you have and what you've accomplished. :)
This discussion has been closed.