How Close Do you Go on Allowed Calories?

Options

Replies

• Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I try to be as close to my calorie goal as possible, try no to be too far under it because my calorie goal is low anyway and I don't wanna do more harm than good by having too few calories(by the way my calorie goal is 1200).
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I don't go off of what MFP says because I use a bodymedia armband that tells me exactly how many calories I burned vs consumed. This way I always know to stay 250-500 calories under to continue to lose weight at a steady pace. S basically i just use this site to keep a detailed account of my food intake. On days where I am more active I *obviously* get to eat more and some days, like break days, I eat less to maintain the deficit. It can be confusing to my friends on here because it looks like I ate too little but on the bodymedia readout I'm usually right within target. My problem is finding calorie heavy foods with out resorting to eating multiple avocados and mounds of almonds. Haha!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I don't go off of what MFP says because I use a bodymedia armband that tells me exactly how many calories I burned vs consumed.

The bodymedia is doing guesstimate calculations, just like MFP.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I've been over twice by like 20-40, I'm usually under by 50-100. After that, it just depends. Today I wasn't very hungry so I am under by 250, two days ago I was starving and counting how many crackers I could eat to stay under my goal, lol (and one day I just went over).
  • Arnegard
    Arnegard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always eat all of my calories and usually eat back at least half of my exercise calories. I love to eat!
  • sg992
    sg992 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    These days I'm always extremely close to my net goal, I just add on a few grams of veg here and there to creep up to the number if needs be. I find it satisfying to see I'm within 1 or 2 calories (don't like seeing that number turn red though!). Must be a psychological thing.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I tend to have a few hundred left at the end of the day. I do not weigh my food though and I know the tendency is to underestimate portions so I figure I'm actually pretty close to my goal. Plus I pump breastmilk for a milk bank and MFP says you burn 500 calories a day doing that and I would imagine that your body adjusts to the pumping and actually burns less than that over time. Better safe than sorry.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    +/- 50 is what I aim for. Results may vary, up to thousands over.

This on a day that I don't exercise - like today because I have caught my husband's cold and it's hard to even walk the dog when your throat hurts and you can't breathe. On a day that I do exercise I aim for about 100 calories under and on a day that I hike (every other weekend) I end up 750-1000 calories under. I just can't eat that much because my husband and I go a LONG way on technical trails. In October, I am going as an adult leader with Boy Scouts doing a 1000 ft elevation change 10 mile hike for a merit badge. God knows what I'll take in my pack to eat...but I'll figure it out.
  • sandifield
    sandifield Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am on `1200 calories a day.. I find it hard to eat my 1200, I don't eat pre-made foods, I cook from scratch and can control the calories in dishes better, I have been finding myself eating in the evening just to bring my intake to 1200... And I rarely eat back my exercise calories.. some days that would be an extra 900 plus calories, I would burst if I ate any more.. so i try to get with-in 50 of the 1200, and if i do go over 1200 its usually under 25 over... I have been loosing roughly 2- 2.4 pounds a week.. I was on another program but switched to MFP a bit over 2 weeks ago.. more friends on this site... If anyone needs more friends I am on daily fell free to add me
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I am on `1200 calories a day.. I find it hard to eat my 1200, I don't eat pre-made foods, I cook from scratch and can control the calories in dishes better, I have been finding myself eating in the evening just to bring my intake to 1200... And I rarely eat back my exercise calories.. some days that would be an extra 900 plus calories, I would burst if I ate any more.. so i try to get with-in 50 of the 1200, and if i do go over 1200 its usually under 25 over... I have been loosing roughly 2- 2.4 pounds a week.. I was on another program but switched to MFP a bit over 2 weeks ago.. more friends on this site... If anyone needs more friends I am on daily fell free to add me

You might need to check that you're eating enough good fats. Avocado and nuts will bring you nearer goal on days that you're struggling. The 1200 bare minimum is there to help prevent malnutrition and if you are exercising a lot you're using up nutrients that your body actually needs.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I try to save a small cushion - never more than 200 calories a day - so that I can have a bit more flexibility at the weekend. Last week I went way over on Monday (bank Holiday BBQ) and then was under every day until yesterday, so over the week I was on my calorie goal. I make sure I weigh food, espeically things ike cereal, pasta, nuts etc. where its easy to take massivly more than a "portion" withuot noticing.

I always eat back exercise calories. I always go by MFP exercise estimates and its working so far!
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    It's a calorie GOAL, it's what you SHOULD be aiming for, not aim to be under that

I always try to get as close to my base goal as possible because of this reason ^^. However I did try and stay under my goal when working on net calories based on MFP exercise calories because of the amount of posts claiming they are over estimates. I eat more back now that I am using a HRM but still stay a little low if I can
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm normally under, mostly due to exercise. I never feel like I'm really hungry though and I get plenty of protein so I don't really see the problem.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I try to reach my minimum goal at least, but I'm usually 200-300 under. With exercise calories I'm usually more like 500 under. It kind of sucks, but I'm struggling with time/energy constraints right now.
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I try to be as close as possible I use MFP as intended, I just meet my macro weather 100 under or 3 under
  • awenasangster
    awenasangster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I tend to aim to undershoot my calorie goal. This is because I'm quite paranoid of underestimating my calorie intake and overestimating my exercise effects!

My daily limit before exercise is about 1200, I have been doing a minimum of around 200-400cal exercise each day and I try to aim for around 1300 calories. But when I eat my full calories (I have never overshot though, always under by at least 50!) I am not too bothered - when I know I'm going to come very close I make sure to use my leftover days calories on something like fish or a big veg stir fry :).
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to the minimum amount I should eat on a non exercise day. I know I can go several hundred calories over if I feel I need to without worrying.

Exactly this - it also means if I am not 100% accurate logging (not deliberately) then it does not matter too much.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I don't even get close to the allotted calorie count. I also don't really trust the exercise amounts so I try to have at least a 100 to 200 deficit at night.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    -50/+50
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I am never but NEVER close to my stated calories. I also never eat BACK the exercise calories. What is the point--you are doing this to lose weight!

Because MFP already puts your daily goal at a deficit, so you should eat some, if not all of those exercise calories back, otherwise you're not eating enough to sustain your weight loss and working out.