Eggplant recepies

svesemenja
svesemenja Posts: 67 Member
So I recently started to eat different vegetables that i havent eaten before. so today i am hoping to prepare eggplant, but i have no idea how. so i need some ideas for lunch that involve eggplant. I know only one recipe that involves ground meat and you put one row on eggplant and one of ground meat until you finish your supplies. but today i dont have ground meat, i have chicken and pork loin.so any ideas with that?

Replies

• eylia
    eylia Posts: 200 Member
    It can be yummy made in a curry. Peel, cube and cook in the sauce (green/red, indian/thai, doesn't matter; google will help if you need ideas), would be nice with either meat. Serve over veggies or rice.

You can also marinate and grill it, which goes nicely in salads and sandwiches. Slice into rounds with skin and coat in a little garlic/spices of your choosing and pan fry, bake or grill until soft.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/eggplant-curry-449974

This recipe was given to me by my late mother. This is a highly nutritious and delicious recipe. Meat eaters like me enjoy it because of its meaty texture and don't miss meat a lot. Some of the unusual ingredients can be found at your local indian store. They're fairly cheap and almost all of the ingredients are used in every other Indian recipe so it won't be a waste Most of the spices last forever too. Hope you all like it :)

Ingredients:

1 Onion (medium, thinly sliced)
    3 Tomatoes (Medium, thinly sliced)
    1 lb Eggplant (Try to get the small sized ones. The smaller the better. Diced cut into 2 inch pieces)
    2 small potatoes (Diced cut)
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp red chilli pepper powder (can also use cayenne powder if available)
    1/3 tsp Turmeric powder (available at Indian stores)
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste (available in indian stores)
    2 sticks of fresh curry tree leaves (don't use dried. You can skip if not available. Called kaddi patta in hindi)
    3 green chillies (from Indian store. cut into small pieces)
    3 tbsp olive oil
    some cilantro

Recipe:

Saute the onion in a pot with the olive oil. Add cumin. Add eggplants and stir the pot. Add chilli powder, turmeric, salt, ginger garlic paste, potatoes tomatoes and curry tree leaves. Add half cup water. Cook for about half hour. Add cilantro and green chillies. Cook for 5 more minutes and you have your delicious eggplant curry!

Enjoy this with some naan or other flat bread. Checkout the method for making roti which is easy and goes great with this!

This recipe makes at least 3 servings

Nutrition facts for the entire dish || per serving

Calories: 864 || 288
    Carbs: 115g || 38
    Fat: 43 || 14
    Protein: 16 || 5
    Fiber: 27 || 9
  • Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    TIP: remember to slice them (1 cm high slices), spread the slices with some salt and let them rest an hour or so. The eggplant will eliminate the water that gives a bitter taste to the dishes. Then pass the slices under the water to eliminate salt and bitter taste, and dry them with a towel.
    Now cook them as you like.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    WEBER makes a "VEGGIE GRILL SPICE" that is absolutely wonderful on sliced and grilled OR roasted in the oven eggplant, zucchini, squash !!! Love it and it is NOT very salty either.
  • natika33
    natika33 Posts: 154 Member
    TIP: remember to slice them (1 cm high slices), spread the slices with some salt and let them rest an hour or so. The eggplant will eliminate the water that gives a bitter taste to the dishes. Then pass the slices under the water to eliminate salt and bitter taste, and dry them with a towel.
    Now cook them as you like.

I don't think eggplant ever has a bitter taste, but maybe I'm just not sensitive or something. I eat them raw in salads or just throw them as is into stir-fries all the time.

You can also make them into a type of fresh pickle. Slice them about 1/2 an inch (1cm) thick and stick them in a baggy with very salty water. Leave them for 4 hours (or overnight), drain the water off and there you go. If you massage them gently and add a bit of an acid (like lemon juice or vinegar), they'll be pretty tasty in only an hour.

A typical Japanese preparation is to slice them thickly, then quarter them, then stir fry them with garlic, dried red peppers and slices of fresh ginger. While they're frying, prepare a simple sauce with a 1:1 ratio of miso paste and sake. Before the eggplant gets too soggy, pour the sauce over everything, stir to coat and pour out onto a plate. Garnish with chopped up green onions. This is a nice vegetarian dish over rice, but it can also be a nice side dish. (I've never tried this, but I think it would taste good with hamburger meat added too.)

Good luck!
  • BearEssentials
    BearEssentials Posts: 27 Member
    This is a favorite of mine. I have literally just finished eating my lunch. I would post a picture but it doesn't look very exciting as I have to small dice everything atm to aid digestion :( Easier to link to the article than copy it out:

http://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/lamb-caponata-topped-with-crispy-potatoes

Revisions:
    I am on low carb at the moment so I make this without the potato top. The meat (protein) can be switched for pretty much anything like your chicken? although I am not convinced this would work so well with pork. The one I am currently eating was made with tinned (in water) tuna. Having made the recipe numerous times over the years I normally make it with 1 and 1/2 aubergines, what you Murican folks mistakenly call "Eggplants" :tongue: half the protein, add an extra orange pepper and half the number of olives (they are very salty)

If you are a veggie then you can double the aubergine and use about half the protein weight of pinenuts.

In the quantities given in the recipe it is quite loose but not soup like. It also (reduced down) makes an awesome dip or side to a meal. Next week when I can do normally chopped stuff I will try and find this thread and post a pic :)

Oh and it freezes really well.
  • svesemenja
    svesemenja Posts: 67 Member
    thank you all. i postponed it for tomorrow so ill pick one recipes. have to see what spices i have in stock..
  • My favorite ever eggplant recipe is eggplant lasagna. you make lasagna how you normally would, but you use sliced eggplant instead of noodles. You can slightly roast the eggplant beforehand to cook faster. Or baked eggplant Parmesan. I want to try to make stuffed eggplant one day. I love me some eggplant :)

Oh and I never to the salting, resting whatever thing, I slice and use it immediately, and it's never been bitter or bad tasting.
  • BearEssentials
    BearEssentials Posts: 27 Member
    ^ zombieyoshi if you are trying to do lasagne without pasta then leeks work well too. Top and tail then cut once down the middle. That will leave you with sheets of leak. Steam for a minute to give flexibility then use them as layers between protein. Sounds like you made a non pasta Mousaka :smile:
  • ^ zombieyoshi if you are trying to do lasagne without pasta then leeks work well too. Top and tail then cut once down the middle. That will leave you with sheets of leak. Steam for a minute to give flexibility then use them as layers between protein. Sounds like you made a non pasta Mousaka :smile:

Ohhh that sounds delicious, I'll definitely remember that for next time! Thanks for the tip! :)