Omg! I didn't lose any weight last week

Options
But I lost half an inch!! And I am ok with that.

I see so many posts where people get upset because they ate right and didn't lose. The scale is not always the best way to see your weight loss. Buy a soft tape measure and take measurements.

Replies

• brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Agree with this statement 100%!

If it wasnt for measurements there are a few times I would've tried to change what I was doing even though it was working.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Amen.

To me, even without the measurements, as long as I know that I did was I was supposed to, I know my body will respond eventually. I just posted in another thread how I have had stalls that lasted three weeks. The good news is that I expect the stalls now and then, and I know my body is just catching up.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Amen.

To me, even without the measurements, as long as I know that I did was I was supposed to, I know my body will respond eventually. I just posted in another thread how I have had stalls that lasted three weeks. The good news is that I expect the stalls now and then, and I know my body is just catching up.

I prefer to measure than weigh myself. An inch loss will be more noticeable. My boyfriend said to me last night "your hips look smaller." I love hearing stuff like that!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Good work and even if you didn't lose anything, you didn't gain anything either which is a victory in itself.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Good work and even if you didn't lose anything, you didn't gain anything either which is a victory in itself.

Exactly, not gaining is a WIN!
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options

:drinker:
  • sunflwrgrl412
    sunflwrgrl412 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Kim and I'm a scale junkie. I am trying to break myself from it. My biggest regret after getting 45 pounds off is that I didn't measure in the beginning. I think I will start now. I've hit a lull anyway. Add me if ya want. I'm here everyday. :)
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Neither did I, and I could care less!

I've been working on C25K and I love the way I'm looking. My calves are getting shapely and pretty and I just feel so good. I need to measure myself a d see what's up.

I think that maybe we finally get it. In the past, a week with no loss would send me into a spiral to the black hole of despair.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! I haven't lost anything significant in months...really now that I think about it...I haven't really lost anything since February.

BUT

I dropped a pants size.
    Lost about 4 inches off my waist.
    Lost about 2 1/2 inches off my hips.
    Lost at least 3% body fat.

:-)
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    Way to go!! I haven't lost anything significant in months...really now that I think about it...I haven't really lost anything since February.

BUT

I dropped a pants size.
    Lost about 4 inches off my waist.
    Lost about 2 1/2 inches off my hips.
    Lost at least 3% body fat.

:-)

Awesome, who needs scales!
  • samanthacohoe
    Options
    I think I really needed this post! I'm coming off of a month in which I thought I was doing pretty well with eating and exercise, but only lost one pound. My husband told me I should measure myself, because I look like I've slimmed down. The trouble is that I can't quite ignore the scale, because I do have a non-trivial amount of weight to lose before I'm in a healthy BMI.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I think I really needed this post! I'm coming off of a month in which I thought I was doing pretty well with eating and exercise, but only lost one pound. My husband told me I should measure myself, because I look like I've slimmed down. The trouble is that I can't quite ignore the scale, because I do have a non-trivial amount of weight to lose before I'm in a healthy BMI.

I still need to lose about 30 lbs but losing inches cut fat too which helps with BMI. Good Luck! Make sure you measure today and check again in a few weeks.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options

BMI doesn't take into account lean body mass. A better indicator of health is your body fat percentage. I also have about 30-35 pounds to lose, but I'm trying to concentrate on lowering my body fat % instead.

Online calculators are kind of guess work, but I've been using this one just so I can see the trend. I've looked at a TON of them online and this is the one I like the best. It uses height, weight, neck, natural waist, waist around belly button, and hips measurements to calculate your BF%. I've been using the Navy method measurement.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator
  • ldugganbos
    Options
    As far as scales go...week after week mine will read the same...then one week it will say i lost 3 or 4 pounds...without an industrial scale...it is not reliable. If you are eating healthy and exercise...enjoy!
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    As far as scales go...week after week mine will read the same...then one week it will say i lost 3 or 4 pounds...without an industrial scale...it is not reliable. If you are eating healthy and exercise...enjoy!

My scale will change 5 lbs in one day so I have given it up and only weigh once a week. I was weighing everyday.