Also looking for Motivational Friends

Options
My name is Tracey and I'm struggling with my weight - I'm 66 pounds overweight and for the last 6 months its been a constant yo-yo .... one week good + one week bad = nothing..... When im down I like to read the message boards and try and grasp some inspiration from all your posts as everyone seems to be doing fantastic ... my life is stressful to say the least but when it comes to willpower i've got none .....started again today but you ever get that niggling in the back of your head - another start yeah right - how long for !!!! Please help me on this journey as this site is the only support I will receive to try and overcome the problem

Thanks for reading xx

Replies

• ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Hi there, add me if you like :-) I am older than you, and have lost a lot of weight using MFP - the best thing I have done for me in a long time. I have been where you are, then had my "moment" and decided that was IT. Now 27 kg less and have found me again. I am fairly active in supporting my friends, like to get support in return. If you search in the forums for 60 Aussie you should be able to find my success story which I posted a few months ago - or this is the link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/822747-60-yo-aussie-25-kgs-55-lbs-in-a-year?hl=60+aussie

If you like the sound of me, happy to have an extra friend if you are going to work on this day by day and step by step. :flowerforyou:
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you still need more friends. You have made the right step, and if you are really ready to make a change in your life then you will be successful. Just know it's only failure when you give up. If you have a bad day or even 2 bad days, get up brush yourself off and continue. You never have to restart something you don't stop, it's a learning curve that will take time. Many people will give you advice of what they did and what worked for them, and feel free to try it, but dont be discouraged if it doesnt work for you because everyone is different. The best advice I can give you starting off is:

calorie deficit- either eat less, exercise more, or both (you have to count calories and be honest with everything you eat)
    take your measurements 1-2 times a month
    strength training (i regret not doing this from the beginning)
    have fun, make your workouts something you enjoy and that makes it easier to continue them

Good Luck!

anyone else can add me if they'd like as well. I will try to be a big support for your journey..
  • suzyfj8
    suzyfj8 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I have lost weight (and still need to lose weight) but I know it is a hard journey and you need all the support you can get, but believe me you can do it, it sounds like you have the right mind set and with that you can do anything :) I am always looking for new friends!
  • kimberg75
    kimberg75 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you would like. After being on here for over 2 years I've found that motivation does come and go...but if you can somehow stay motivated more than not you will keep seeing amazing results. I'm still working toward my goal weight and I'm determined to get there...eventually! :happy:
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Everybody has those good and bad days, believe me... sometimes it's as hard to mentally overcome those as it is physically, especially if you're in a situation (like most of us, really) where you get little outside motivation, have tons of stress and responsibility, and are not used to giving yourself or your health the kind of priority that you need to.
    For my personal health journey, I draw strength from each little victory, every inch, every pound, every day there's no change, but suddenly a piece of clothing fits differently (admittedly, sometimes things fit worse and sometimes things fit better, each piece is different). Even more from every day I feel physically better, every day I notice an improvement in my strength or endurance or flexibility. Every day my chair creaks a little less, every day I realize how much my taste in food has changed with eating healthy and learning how to cook properly instead of from a box. Every tie I realize my attitude is changing, and my lifestyle with it.
    It is a lot of mental work, as well as physical. And, particularly for women I think, we need to learn to not beat ourselves up and break ourselves down and think ourselves worthless and complete failures after one bad day, but rather take that bad day and use it to be sure the next day is a good day. And the day after that. And the day after that. as you'll hear a lot around here, it's not a sprint, it's a marathon. It can't be fixed all in one day (I'm constantly coming to terms with this one myself. Every single day. I'm very much the overachiever, but that kind of thing does *not* translate at all to such a complete lifestyle and attitude change as getting healthy requires).
    Not my best pep talk, but I was trying to be blunt and pragmatic, while still being reasonably kind and encouraging. Hope it worked. :)
    All of that being said, I'm in the same age group as you, have 80+ pounds to lose total, and am generally here every day. I have a small group of friends whom I try to encourage regularly, and they do much the same for me. I do occasionally geek out or nerd rage on my newsfeed, but we all have our little quirks, lol. Feel free to look at my profile and friend me if you think we'd be compatible as friends.
    And now, I gotta get out and walk before the sun comes up and its 756349 degrees outside.