FitBit or Jawbone UP?

Options
Hello!

I'm looking to invest in one of the above but really unsure which to spend my money on!

I've read quite a number of reviews on the pro's & con's for both, but still undecided.

Was wondering if any of you guys use either of these & which you recommend? Or is it a waste of my money?

Thanks in advance,

Alli

Replies

• fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    I have a fitbit and love it! I only started here two weeks ago and have had my fitbit for about 10 days. It's really good to see the steps and calorie burn going up throughout the day and it does make you want to do more to push the numbers up! I wouldn't be without mine now, but then, I've not even heard of the Jawbone one! Good lucm with whichever you choose.
  • snsmyth
    Options
    I have the FitBit Flex and I got one for my Dad too. My brother has the FitBit One, and has lost it once, bought it again, put it through the wash, and lost it at a friend's house. The Flex doesn't track stairs climbed, but at least I won't lose it. I can wear the Flex in the shower and while I work.

I am fascinated by the sleep tracking. Apparently my sleep is more restless the night before I get a migraine.
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I got my fitbit flex after a ton of research. I wanted the up, because it looks better and the app looked better laid out. But I found way too many reviews that complained of the up not working after a few weeks or a month. I didnt want to shell out $150 for something that may stop working.
    I love my flex. It feels like nothing on my wrist, and tracks my steps accurately. So I think I made the right choice.
  • spencch
    spencch Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Another one that was just released and gets the top reviews from some of the professional review sites is the Withings Pulse.

http://www.withings.com/en/pulse

Haven't tried it myself, so don't have any personal experience, but likely the one that I would buy if I was going to get one now.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip. It is the cheapest Fitbit model, but only has the most basic functions (calories, steps, distance). I got my Zip in April '13. It definitely encourages me to get up and move more, which of course translates to an increase in activity level.

I compared several different types of activity trackers and decided that Fitbit was the way to go for me. Devices I looked at:

Bodymedia Core : $119 + 3 months of free web access to view data ($6.95 per month after that)
    Bodymedia Link : $149 + 3 months of free web access to view data ($6.95 per month after that)
    Jawbone Up : $129 (can only view data on smart phone)
    Fitbit One : $99 (I was planning to buy this one, but my husband gave me the zip as a present)
    Nike Fuel Band : $149
    Nike+ Sport Watch : $169

This article ultimately helped me choose the fitbit (price to accuracy comparison was best):
    http://www.getgrok.com/2013/01/a-comparative-review-28-days-with-the-fitbit-one-jawbone-up-nike-fuelband-and-bodymedia-link/

Around June, I heard about a new activity tracker called TheBasis ($199). It is similar to the bodymedia devices, but it is a watch (body media is armband) and it is supposed to constantly monitor HR (as well as do everything that bodymedia does).
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the Jawbone UP.

I preferred the look and feel over the flex, I also liked that it is a single unit - no taking the heart out of the bracelet to charge.
    Over the 3 months I have worn it, no one has asked what it is. The flex looks a little odd, and does cause people ask (in my experience)

Since getting it I really like the method of syncing. It doesn't need to be paired over bluetooth or NFC, both of which I have seen flex users have problems with. You plug it into the headphone socket of your phone/tablet.

I have the app installed on my android phone, iPad tablet and iPod touch (although my old ipod touch takes ages to sync. it is old and slow).

There were some issues with the 1st generation. But unless you buy second hand, you are not going to get one of those. The 2nd Gen ones are great.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your comments! I'm gonna have another look.. But I do think I would prefer the UP just as its a little more discreet and not as chunky looking as the FitBit! I've only got small wrists so need something smallish.. Of course that isn't the most important but seems there is pros & cons to both!

Thanks again!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I am on the fence about my Up. I love the app. It is easy to sync. The features are great. I got mine about 7-8 weeks ago. After 3-4 weeks it completely stopped functioning. It took 3 weeks to get a replacement.

My sister got one about 10 days after I got mine. Hers is broken as well, but she hasn't arranged a replacement yet. She did purchase hers at the same location i did, so maybe it was a bad batch.

I am about 1 week into my replacement, and it seems to be working better than the first one. But I expect electronics to work a year without issue. Considering my sister had an issue as well? Well that makes me hesitant to recommend it is the flaky behavior and the ridiculous wait for a replacement. I expect the manufacturer to make plenty. After waiting 2.5 weeks, I ended up getting a different color since the replacement was so slow.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit One and ADORE it. I read tons of reviews and initially I wanted the Flex but I read on numerous review blogs that the One was the most accurate. If it's between the Flex and the Up, I'd get the Up but if you're deciding between the Up and the One, I'd go for the One.
  • RedScathach
    RedScathach Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have both right now and I am preferring to use the Fitbit Flex. After wearing my Jawbone Up for 6 months on an every day basis, it started looking really gross and beat up, I did not want to wear it to work because it was so shabby looking. With the flex you at least have the option of purchasing a new band when yours gets a little worn looking. Also I have gone through 2 Jawbone Ups over a 6 month period because they both just stopped working.

Also the Flex just feels more comfortable compared to the Up
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've read a LOT of reviews about ups being faulty! Not good.. Perhaps the flex is gonna be a better purchase. Ahhhh decisions, decisions...