Runners with GPS watches

Options
I am looking to buy a watch with GPS capability. Prefer to have HRM with it. I bought a Timex Ironman one and it is too big and bulky and so complicated to setup. I am just looking for mileage and average pace time and not all this split/stop stuff on it. Does anyone have any recommendations on what Brand you use and why or why not you like it. I love my Polar FT7 I use to monitor my heart rate but now I want something for distance tracking so I can run freely verses the same route to know my mileage.

Thank you

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I use the Runkeeper app on my phone and it seems pretty accurate, plus it's free.
  • Danimal718
    Danimal718 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am looking to buy a watch with GPS capability. Prefer to have HRM with it. I bought a Timex Ironman one and it is too big and bulky and so complicated to setup. I am just looking for mileage and average pace time and not all this split/stop stuff on it. Does anyone have any recommendations on what Brand you use and why or why not you like it. I love my Polar FT7 I use to monitor my heart rate but now I want something for distance tracking so I can run freely verses the same route to know my mileage.

Thank you

I personally use Garmin 910xt. I use it for biking and swimming and walking (knees don't do running anymore). I have been using Garmins for over 10 years. It's got both GPS and HRM. It's got a good interface on the desktop and the web for uploading your information.
  • Hannah7783
    Hannah7783 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I used to use the runtastic one, which was fine, but it had too many functions on it for me! It has GPS, HRM, etc etc and it works well, and I was using the runtastic app at the time too, but I found I didnt need all that stuff on there, my technophobic brain couldnt cope.

So I now have the Garmin Forerunner 10, which has distance, time, pace and calories, and thats all I need!! I used to look mainly at my heart rate, but now I just go on effort and I find I actually run better like that. Listening to my body is, for me, far more useful than checking out my exact HR.

Also, on a girly, aesthetic note, the Forerunner 10's are feminine and pretty, unlike a lot of the other models on the market that I personally think are way too manly!

I'm going to be selling my other one, eBay seems a good place to get all these gadgets fairly cheaply!
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use the Garmin 305 for biking and Garmin 405 for running. You get your mile splits which is invaluable information but it is simple to use. The only downfall to the 405 is it has the touch bezel so I tend to lock it or if it gets touched it jumps to the next screen which may or may not bother you. The 305 is bulkier but the 405 is more like a regular watch. The software I easy to use and set up and when the information uploads you get every possible piece of information you could want but it is very easy to read and understand :smile:
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Hey there, if you are using an iPhone you have your gps, I just bought an alpha HRM watch from the apple store and between that and the map my run app I have everything I need.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 405. I had the 301 and 305 before that (one lost to puppy teeth the other at a race).
    I love Garmin. Easy to use, good product and good customer service.

I've done the smartphone app thing after I lost my second Garmin and didn't want to spend that kind of money again. It works, but I hated not being able to see the info I wanted. I did use one with voice feedback but it wasnt enough when I was running intervals or tempos.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I think I have the 110.. it was the cheapest I could find that had the HRM and satellite. I use it exactly the way you are looking to use it and haven't had any problems.