You've convinced to me to weight train, so where do I start?

Options
Hello, Im a member here for 25 days now, down 11.2 lbs. When I become interested in something, I research the hell out of it! 25 days ago, I was one of those who were afraid that heavy lifting would make me look like the hulk. Now, I know that NOT to be true. So, I want to start! I'm a member at Lucille Roberts, and I usually do the elliptical for a mile then light lifting on the circuit of machines. I have bad ankles, Achilles, and heals, so running is not good for me right now.

There aren't too many free weights there ( and I dont know how comfortable I would be doing them right now), so my question is, can I achieve results using the circuit of machines? Which ones are best? I currently do 3 sets of 10 with lighter weights ( 20-30lbs) on most of them. Im also still a bit confused on some terms such as weight training vs resistance?

Looking for advise, links, or whatever to get started. Thanks :)

Replies

• dez_yaoichan
    Options
    bump
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    I'm no expert, I just started myself not too long ago. But the biggest help for me was getting a few Personal Trainer sessions. They came up with a routine i could follow and the correct amount of weights. When I felt comfortable or up for a challenge I'd step the mass of weights up. More importantly using the right technique for the machine or exercise. Like they told me and what I've read in men’s fitness, it’s better to do 10x proper reps then 30x improper.
    Research the exercise too to get that right technique. And go from there. I've been at it about 4weeks+ now and found myself with muscle and strength i didn't before and it has increased my weight loss.

Cheers,
    Riley
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Just read this article, seems pretty straight forward and answered one of my questions: http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/free_weights.html
  • HeartRN77
    HeartRN77 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about workout videos, they have come a long way since the Jane Fonda days. I really like all of the Jillian Michaels videos they are hard and they always incorporate strength and cardio together and they burn tons of calories. With her you use hand weight from 3 to 10lbs or as heavy as you want plus she has you use your own body weight for resistence such as push ups ect...
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Probably the best advice I could give would be to approach one of the trainers at the Gym and talk to them. Tell them you want to start lifting heavy and ask them to put a program together for you :wink:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Join the Eat, Train, Progress group. Lots of helpful information and the moderators of the group are very knowledgeable and successful. They can answer any questions you may have.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

Good luck to you in whatever program you choose. You will not regret doing it.
  • x58890
    Options
    Check out the rebel strength guide from need fitness. It's perfect for beginners and gives solid advice.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/rebel-strength-guide/
  • dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Start with Stronglifts 5x5! It's free, covers all of the basic compound lifts, and will get you the absolute best bang for your buck as a total beginner. Google it or go to stronglifts.com to see how the plan works. You only lift 3 days a week, which leaves lots of time for cardio if you want to incorporate that as well. I can't recommend it enough.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    One: Weight train before cardio. The reason is that weight lifting is an anaerobic exercise. It uses glycogen as it's fuel source. If you do some heavy exertion during cardio you will be using some of that glycogen. What most people call cardio is a form of heavy aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise combines oxygen with fat to create the energy. However, if you exert yourself pretty heavily, your body can't burn fat fast enough and turns to glycogen to help. This means you won't get as effective a lift at best. At worst, it can lead to form failure as you try to power through a lift, and that's how injuries happen. Also, if you do the cardio second, and you don't have as much glycogen in your system, your body will burn through a little more fat to compensate. So much better benefits there.

Two: You won't get as good a result on machines as you will with free weights. Machines isolate muscles. They stabilize your back. They restrict movement. Free weights force you to engage many more muscles so you get a much more effective workout in the same period of time. That being said, look for cable based machines as opposed to mechanical ones to get a better workout. You can also get a good workout using body weight exercises (pull ups, pushups, planks, plyometrics, etc).

Three: 30 reps is not going to really build any muscle. It's a good start to help learn the form, so make sure you are focused on technique. Each time you do an exercise, increase the weight over the time before. When you can't complete all three sets, reduce your reps until you get down to 3 sets of 5 or 6. This still isn't going to bulk you up.

At this point, people usually say "I just want to tone". Well toning isn't something you do to a muscle. You can make it bigger, you can make it smaller, or you can keep it the same. That's it. So what is toning? Toning is a combination of bigger muscles and less fat. Well, you're already doing an hour of cardio, so the fat burning is taking place. You need to build muscle in order to get the tone you want. That happens with fewer reps at higher weight. When you are doing more reps at lower weights you're basically doing a form of resisted cardio exercise. There will be some muscle growth sure, but it's more about burning fat and glycogen at that point.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    read 'starting strength' - its a beginners barbell program or you can get a similair program free at stronglifts5x5.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    One: Weight train before cardio. The reason is that weight lifting is an anaerobic exercise. It uses glycogen as it's fuel source. If you do some heavy exertion during cardio you will be using some of that glycogen. What most people call cardio is a form of heavy aerobic exercise. Aerobic exercise combines oxygen with fat to create the energy. However, if you exert yourself pretty heavily, your body can't burn fat fast enough and turns to glycogen to help. This means you won't get as effective a lift at best. At worst, it can lead to form failure as you try to power through a lift, and that's how injuries happen. Also, if you do the cardio second, and you don't have as much glycogen in your system, your body will burn through a little more fat to compensate. So much better benefits there.

Two: You won't get as good a result on machines as you will with free weights. Machines isolate muscles. They stabilize your back. They restrict movement. Free weights force you to engage many more muscles so you get a much more effective workout in the same period of time. That being said, look for cable based machines as opposed to mechanical ones to get a better workout. You can also get a good workout using body weight exercises (pull ups, pushups, planks, plyometrics, etc).

Three: 30 reps is not going to really build any muscle. It's a good start to help learn the form, so make sure you are focused on technique. Each time you do an exercise, increase the weight over the time before. When you can't complete all three sets, reduce your reps until you get down to 3 sets of 5 or 6. This still isn't going to bulk you up.

At this point, people usually say "I just want to tone". Well toning isn't something you do to a muscle. You can make it bigger, you can make it smaller, or you can keep it the same. That's it. So what is toning? Toning is a combination of bigger muscles and less fat. Well, you're already doing an hour of cardio, so the fat burning is taking place. You need to build muscle in order to get the tone you want. That happens with fewer reps at higher weight. When you are doing more reps at lower weights you're basically doing a form of resisted cardio exercise. There will be some muscle growth sure, but it's more about burning fat and glycogen at that point.

Great advice! I've always done cardio before weights -- going to switch it around starting tomorrow.
  • loricshields47
    loricshields47 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Using the machines is fine, but figure out what exercises you can do with the free weights available. Do those and use the machines for others. Try doing 4 sets of 8-10 reps with as much weight as you can so that the last one is hard and you would lose form doing one more. Find away to do squats! Do them first ~once (no more than 2x ) a week. If no squat rack seek advice from a trainer or watch you tube videos of how to do them safely with dumbbells. But squats are a must!!!
    Equally important is tracking your workouts. Write out a routine in a journal and track all the wieght x reps. each and every time. Try and increase the weight or the rep when you can. Your routine should always start using the biggest muscle group if doing isolated (one to two body parts per) workout. I still think its a good way to go if doing full body workouts as well. But again start with the squats. The body is cleaver, so every 3-4 (no later) weeks switch up the routine somehow. ie the order, a different variation for each body part the weight etc. the options are endless. And protein! Protein is a must if you want to build muscle. A shake after each workout is important - others will disagree but I stand firmly by the assertation that if you are not consuming enough protein stay home. ! gram per pound of body wieght each day ~ one serving being a cassien source at bedtime ( I like cottage cheese with fruit ). If you are lifting, 3 days of cardio is plenty (20-30 mins is lots if its hiit) (moderate pace with sprints at timed intervals).
    Good luck with how you approach things and congrats on making fitness a goal!

please note I am not a personal trainer and am only offering suggestions mixed with a little persoanl advice. Professional advice is always recommended ~ but use a reputable trainer ~ you know - the one who will make you WORK your *kitten* off!
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks so far for all the great advice! I am already in the group, " Eat, Train, Progress group". I need to hang out over there more! I love the idea of lifting before cardio ( thanks Vorgas for all the advice)! I just joined the Stronglifts 5x5 , sadly my office on comp isnt working , and I cant open the spreadsheet :(. Gotta work on this computer!

Keep it coming :) Im soaking it all in!