Cycling - 0-60km - 6 weeks!

Options
I've just signed up to do a 37 mile bike ride (not race) for a charity close to my heart, but I've not been on my bike in ages! I had glandular fever (mono) last year and it completely wiped me out, though I wasnt exactly fit before hand. I have a decent hybrid bike (Kona Dew Deluxe), I took it out this weekend for 2 x 3 mile (with 3 hours digging & weeding in the middle) and 1 x 5 mile and though it had hard points - like the slight uphills - i felt like I could have done more, albeit quite slowly at around 10mph.

Can you offer any advice (other than dont do it)? Maybe on where to find a good training package or things I'll need to do to prepare?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Socalgal13
    Options
    Great to hear you are going to do a charity ride. I recently did a two day ride for ALS and is was awesome. Things for you to be mindful are things like:

getting on that bike as much as you can before the ride day. Shorts bits on a bike are find buy when you ride longer and you are not use to it, your backside will complain.

Get a pair of good bike shorts, there are all sorts of styles of pads (more is not always better). There are woman specific shorts which I prefer much better, seems to cushion all the right places.

Chamois cream to prevent chafing

Slow and steady makes for a good cyclist...so you go on with your bad self and keep riding!

I would see if there is a local bike club in your area, They may have group rides geared toward beginners. Also the ride website might have some suggestions on training for the specific ride

Pick the brains of the local bike shop...sometimes bike guys can be a bit surly, do not let them put you off. Ask about riding in the local area, clubs, rides that they might organize.

BTW you have a great bike for this ride, it is geared great and is a smooth ride...I am excited for you

Let me know if you have any more questions
  • LadyLib82
    LadyLib82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, very helpful :-) Ihadnt thought about riding clubs - as a single parent I don't have too much time to myself outside the house but ill certainly look into it, I was thinking of getting an indoor trainer to get used to being sat in the saddle for a while, hopefully that'll help - along with some padded shorts! Thanks again