how to choose take-out

Options
Due to different activities after school today, I'm suppose to pick up dinner and bring it home . Aaaahhhhh is all I can say. When you are trying to lose weight this is never a good thing. It's also alot harder because we are stationed in another country so I can't go on websites like McD's or Wendy's and took up calories or go to places like Subway for healthy choices. My choice is pizza or chinese. Which is better? This is so frustrating and I'm sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but I just don't know what to do. I have made so many wrong choices with food, that's why I am over weight. Please help.

Replies

• Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Both are considered fast food. If you ever meet someone who can cook real asian food they're going to call anything at a restaurant usually "fast chinese food". And we already know what pizza is. My local pizza place is like 250 to 300 calories a slice. Chinese is even worse due to all the salt. Still....you can look up calories here on the database if that helps. Remember it's only once at this moment. Once ever 2 weeks really isn't a big deal.

The whole fast food thing is a trap for people who are low on time and it eventually leads to this website.
  • vkmacneil
    Options
    pizza is better for you!
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    If you can order chinese, mixed vegetables with chicken/shrimp with sauce on the side, it's not that bad. I know here most places have a diet section on the menu where it's just steamed veggies with a meat...or you can do just veggies with white rice. They give the sauce on the side so you can add a little flavor if you want. I've also noticed pizza topped with veggies seems to be lower in cals than just cheese pizza. I guess once you put veggies on top you don't use as much cheese, which is higher cal. So that's an option too. Good luck!
  • Avalon203
    Options
    When I used to follow the weightwatchers points plan a while back, they gave us all a book with points values for takeaway food. The absolute worst ones for fat and calorie content were pizza and Indian curries. Chinese was one of the best options for a calorie and fat controlled diet, in particular, chicken/beef/prawn chow mein (Im not sure what country your in and if chow mein is even an option, but it is basically noodles with meat and lots of stir fried veg in a soy based sauce) I would say that Chinese is definately a better choice if your on a 'diet' , as long as you dont go for the deep fried things like dumplings, or the food in batter. Pizza bases have ridiculous amounts of carbs and calories and cheese is full of fat. And I have been told that some places spray oil over the pizza before cooking to apparently improve the flavour! Although I have to say I have no idea what the salt content is of either, although most takeaways tend to use lots of it..... I had chinese chicken chow mein twice last week from a takeaway (bad I know) and I still managed to lose 7lbs! xxx
  • DanL66712
    Options
    Why not order takeaway for the rest of the family and whip yourself up something quick when you get home. If you don't want to feel like you are missing out, then why not order yourself some boiled rice and then whip up a quick chilli at home to put on it?
  • terrym04
    Options
    Thank you guys! I really appreciate all the info. . :smile:
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    For Chinese, stay away from fried dishes, go easy on the rice and noodles, and remember that soup and eggrolls add up fast! A typical lunch special can hit a thousand calories easily, but it's doable if you keep portions under control. If you must have the eggroll, skip the rice or vice versa.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    From chinese you can get a hot and sour soup which is low in calories and can be filling. Also look for options with steamed veggies.
  • iamkimmie
    iamkimmie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you decide to get pizza, thin crust has fewer calories. Also, get veggies on your pizza and not meat. The meats get you! If you can special order, ask them to go a little light on the cheese. You still get the pizza taste and it's really quite good, and it's not nearly as bad for you as a regular pizza is.
  • iamkimmie
    iamkimmie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ...not to say that it's still not bad for you, though. haha
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    At chinese you can get steamed veggies and white rice. But I like the idea of you picking them up some food and having something healthy at home. I do that for the kids after practices.