NSV - Diet soda

Options
sharon75uk
sharon75uk Posts: 51 Member
I used to purchase and drink a 2 litre bottle of diet soda each day.
Haven't bought any for almost 2 weeks now and I am feeling pleased with myself.
At first I had terrible headaches so had been allowing myself a 330ml can at lunch times but going to cut this out this week.

Have been drinking more still water and feel a LOT better for this.

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    KUDOS! They are so toxic. You have done yoyurself a great service. Some research has proven that diet sodas atuall increase hunger, because the body reacts differently to fake sugars. I am proud of you!!!
  • jenjen828
    jenjen828 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It has been around 9 weeks or so since I have had a diet soda. It feels so good to be free from all of those chemicals and it is so much easier to get in water when you are not drinking sodas. So happy for your accomplishment. You will be amazed at how quickly you will feel the benefits of this decision. Congrats on your NSV!
  • Bmoy87
    Bmoy87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will start week 4 for me quitting diet sodas also. All I drink is water and unsweetened tea. The cost of sodas alone were worth quitting. I also was drinking a 2 liter or more a day. I have been on my 1200 calorie diet going on week 8 tomorrow as well. I figured why not quit the soda also haha. Great job by the way!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    KUDOS! They are so toxic. You have done yoyurself a great service. Some research has proven that diet sodas atuall increase hunger, because the body reacts differently to fake sugars. I am proud of you!!!
    Not true, and also not true. Since you're claiming research, care to provide the actual studies you're talking about?

Kudos, OP, for kicking a huge habit. I will say, if you enjoy that one can a few days a week, no need to cut it out completely if you don't want to. Makes a great very low calorie treat, IMO.
  • Bmoy87
    Bmoy87 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not true, and also not true. Since you're claiming research, care to provide the actual studies you're talking about?

Kudos, OP, for kicking a huge habit. I will say, if you enjoy that one can a few days a week, no need to cut it out completely if you don't want to. Makes a great very low calorie treat, IMO.

All I've read on the topic is that eating fake sugars MAY make you crave real sugars even more. I mainly quit because of the cost and I am sure getting all of those chemicals and artifical tastes out of my diet will help in some way.
  • jmyrtle
    jmyrtle Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Awesome commitment to your improving health
  • OneWildAndPreciousLife
    Options
    Great job! I've kicked the habit myself, so I know how tough it is. Well done!
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work
    If you like that fizziness and do not want the chemicals that come with sodas try this on

Carbonated water, add fresh berries, fresh orange juice , fresh grapefruit juice, cucumber and mint.

Carbonated water is very neutral, no sugars, and no additives. and the fruit juice you add which if squeezed at home can be any strength you want.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    just curious what you are doing for caffeine now (if anything)..>?
    i am drinking diet dr pepper - maybe 3 cans per day - mostly in the morning and mid-day to keep me awake and alert at work, since i don't care for coffee or tea.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    For me...Its been a few months. Good luck though!
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    What does NSV mean? :embarassed:
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    caffeine withdrawal takes nearly a week or a little longer to get over, sluggishness and headaches are part of it.

I was on you tube the other week watching a BBC doc The Truth About Food I forget which part , anyway they BBC tested two of its employees on this. They were a couple and truly believed they couldn't live without their coffee fix in the morning, so they chose one participant to be the decaf drinker without him/her knowing and the other to carry on drinking coffee with caffeine.

The decaf drinker was tired and sluggish the first week but after the first week he was back to normal. He realized he had kicked the habit and the caffeine he believed he craved and needed was not necessary.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    High five!!! You got this!

Also, you'll feel 100x better!!!
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    Options

Non Scale Victory
  • JustMeee333
    Options

Non Scale Victory

Thanks, I often wondered that too.

OP: Congratulations. I too stopped drinking diet soda's, only had about 2 cans in 6 months now.:drinker:
  • lisa_latif
    lisa_latif Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good for you for trying to live healthier! I myself used to drink diet soda on a daily basis because I thought since it was zero calories, it was better for me. Boy, was I wrong! I got such bad migraines when I drank diet soda, to the point where all I could do was lie in a dark room and wait it out. No painkillers would help, it was mind-numbing pain and a lot of vomiting. I went to the doctor and he told me that it was the aspartame in diet soda that was causing my migraines. It's such a harmful chemical, google it if you want to find out more about the side effects it can cause.
    I avoid anything with aspartame in it now, and haven't had a single migraine since I quit. =)
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Haha I actually had to Google this the other day. It popped up on Urban Dictionary lol.
  • bleep
    bleep Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Oh and I still drink Diet Soda btw. It's the one thing I'm holding onto. I love Diet Root Beer and 7up!
  • sharon75uk
    sharon75uk Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    just curious what you are doing for caffeine now (if anything)..>?
    i am drinking diet dr pepper - maybe 3 cans per day - mostly in the morning and mid-day to keep me awake and alert at work, since i don't care for coffee or tea.

I drink decaf tea and coffee so wasn't getting caffeine with drinking that.
    Not doing anything for the caffeine and I have more energy than before...could just be a co-incidence.
  • grace42d
    grace42d Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I never drank diet soda as I don't like the after-taste. I gave up my 1-coke-a-month regular soda treat about 10 months ago. Myson is allergic to corn, so I did it ito be in solidarity with him. That keeps me from straying.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!