colorado is the leanest state, mississippi is the heftiest

Options

Replies

• scodymack
    Options
    Arizona is 30th. If I lived in Mississippi, I'd have a hard time keeping slim. So much good food there! Po' Boys, Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice, Jambalya, Hush Puppies. Oh the hush puppies!

That food is all courtesy of Louisiana...
  • tater8589
    Options
    I'm from Texas, but living in Colorado.. It takes forever to get used to living high altitude. Kicks your but when running cause you can't breath.
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I live in Arkansas, and as of this past Saturday I am no longer obese!!! (Just Overweight he he)

One more reason we love to say Thank God for Mississippi!! :laugh:
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Nevada. A three way tie for #31. We have lots of outdoor activities all year round. But then again we also have the Rib Cook Off, the Chicken Wing Cook off, and the Italian Food Festival.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas, but living in Colorado.. It takes forever to get used to living high altitude. Kicks your but when running cause you can't breath.

Too true... until you get back down to sea level and you can run for miles and miles and leave everyone else in the dust!!! Hahaha. Always pick a destination race! LOL.
  • tater8589
    Options
    i'm in colorado. =) but that doesn't mean i don't still have 60 pounds to lose, haha. but really, it makes sense that CO is so lean - almost EVERYONE spends weekends in the mountains. in the summer, hiking and in the winter, skiing, snowboarding, snow shoeing, etc. it is very easy to be healthy here.

Not to mention, its all anerobic cause there is no oxegen here, lol. Kicks your but if your not used to it. Added 2 min to my run time when i got stationed here.

Oh I must add that there are A LOT of military in Colorado, there are 5 bases in Colorado Springs alone.
  • AlisaToth
    AlisaToth Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I moved from Florida (#38) to California (#41) looks like they are nearly identical in percentage...less than 1% difference! Not sure how to feel about that? People are equally fat in each location?
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am in MS...I am not obese. Just a point or two from normal!!
  • oddsonv
    oddsonv Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am in Colorado...always something healthy to do around here...originally from Arkansas though...been in CO for 11 years now so I am pretty used to the altitude...sure does make working out in AR a lot easier when I am there!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Virginia (#31), better than last year (#28) - so that's good!

It's interesting that for the most part the northeast states are some of the thinnest. Hawaii makes sense, if it's hot and you're by the ocean, you're either in shirts/tank or a bathing suit - although i guess other places fall into that category too but don't rank the same way..
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    North Carolina

Is not surprised at all.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Live in SC (#9) from MN (#31) and there is a total difference. I don't think if I was back in MN I would have allowed myself to get as big as I did while living in SC. In SC where I was an average size I would have been noticably bigger then the average person up there.
  • rachelblank427
    rachelblank427 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Arizona is 30th. If I lived in Mississippi, I'd have a hard time keeping slim. So much good food there! Po' Boys, Gumbo, Red Beans and Rice, Jambalya, Hush Puppies. Oh the hush puppies!

yep yep yep.. I live about 40 minutes outside of New Orleans and the good food. Probably why I am on this site. *Sighs*
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Louisiana is #6. I honestly thought we'd be higher.

WHAT AM I LOOKING AT?!?!?!

What I see has La at 5th

Maybe I should invest in glasses. LOL. I am having a very off day, please excuse me.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options

yep yep yep.. I live about 40 minutes outside of New Orleans and the good food. Probably why I am on this site. *Sighs*

You and me both!
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I'm in Louisiana. We made a jump from 8 last year to 5 this year. Way to get fatter, LA. I can definitely tell when I look around that we're high up there. I can also tell from all the local fried seafood restaurants, poboys, gumbo, daiquiris, hurricanes, and rice-heavy food exactly WHY we are there. And I didn't even mention Southern desserts.

Makes me proud to be ditching the trend.
  • TiffanyLaPlante
    Options
    Being originally a Tx girl, I can see why it's number 13. Moved out here to Hawaii in June, and it's ranked 47th! Wow! Funny how things change when you have so much to do! Everything is here all in one little location: hiking, swimming, surfing, rock climbing, etc. You don't have to drive all day long to get to the other side of the state just to do your favorite activity. Although I miss TX like crazy, I'm thankful for this move and the evidence in my weight loss is proof!! :smile:
  • Dammitviv
    Options
    Woohoo!!! Yah Colorado, we rock!!

Lol, now if I can get myself back on the right side of 'lean'
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    i'm in colorado. =) but that doesn't mean i don't still have 60 pounds to lose, haha. but really, it makes sense that CO is so lean - almost EVERYONE spends weekends in the mountains. in the summer, hiking and in the winter, skiing, snowboarding, snow shoeing, etc. it is very easy to be healthy here.

Yeah - I'm from Colorado, too - I have to admit that the fact that people are so healthy here made it more intimidating to get going and start exercising. I still feel really self-conscious at the gym and when I'm out jogging, like someone is going to tell me I don't belong. :laugh: I'm slowly getting over that, though.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, California is slightly more obese than New Jersey. When we go to New Jersey to visit my MIL, I feel positively scrawny...... But I work in a high school (so most of the people I'm around all day have mandatory physical education courses, can eat their body weight in snack food during the week because of high metabolisms, are on sports teams, and are all around 16), and when I'm in New Jersey, I'm around some large adults who love food...and use food for love.... and are all from the South.....