Scary sudden weight gain despite exercise that worked before

Options
2»

Replies

• dwjacobs
    dwjacobs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your job has turned you into a workaholic, which is a form of adrenalin addiction. You've carried that stress into your vacation and exercise program. You've made your vacation a "job". When these methods were working better for you a few years ago, were you getting better sleep? Were you worrying less? I would add something more relaxing into your exercise mix... Tai Chi or very mild stretching or very light yoga with a teacher who understands your injuries. Relax. Breathe. Take at least one complete rest day each week. Alternate light, moderate, and heavy workouts during the rest of the week. Use more of your vacation to recover from sleep deprivation. A lack of sleep makes it very hard to lose weight. Check out Jeff Galloway's approach to training... the way he alternates the intensity of workouts. As you get older, rest days and light exercise days are more and more important.

Hard exercise after a period of being sedentary will usually add weight as you build back your muscles. In this case, it is most likely water retention. You seem to be drinking way too much water, but given that you are maybe overdoing the exercise, you may crave it. I agree with the feedback one other person gave... you are on vacation, maybe eating out more and getting more salt. Cut out salt (almost impossible in restaurants) and you will begin to release the water.

I would check out the principles behind the Fat Flush Diet developed by Ann Louise Gittleman. She once worked for Pritikin, then wrote a book called Beyond Pritikin, that established the need for healthy fats and oils. I liked her early book before her methods became an industry. However, her thinking tends to develop with the latest research, so she's worth studying a bit. Is your diet low fat more than focusing on getting healthy oils? If you are not getting healthy oils and you are focusing on a low fat approach, you body might think it's starving and it will hold on to whatever it gets. A lack of healthy oils will influence moods, disrupt sleep, dry the skin, hurt the joints, etc. Your body will also tend to retrain whatever bad fats you do eat. Gittleman's very effective 2 week fat flush program is often criticized as not being about losing fat but more about losing water weight. That's actually one of its virtues. If, for a short period (two weeks only), you avoid the starchy carbs, eat healthy vegetables, lean meats, some salmon, fruits in moderation, get the right oils (daily borage, fish, flax oil), and get plenty of sleep, then your body will turn into a fat burning machine. You will also get rid of unneeded water. For two weeks, you can drop a pound or two a day, and most of it will probably be water weight. She also recommends cranwater for the kidneys. Unsweetened Cranberry Juice in a ratio of one cup of juice to 7 cups of water. With lemon added to the glass, it's a deliciously refreshing drink for these hot summer days. Drink two quarts of that mix each day for a couple of weeks. Your kidneys will enjoy it. When the body chemistry goes wacky, we tend to retain more water than we need. I'm not out to push a specific plan here, but most current research is tending to head in this direction. However, don't overdue any of this...

And... the main through-line in all the great advice you've gotten here... RELAX ! Stop worrying ! Drop the stress !

Here are the words of an old Paiute to the LA worker bees that would visit him in the Eastern Sierras... "Sit down and make yourself useless!"
  • dwjacobs
    dwjacobs Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    PS - your constant worry about "wasting" your vacation is a classic sign of workaholism. If you can, while on this last week of your vacation, find and read a book called "Working Ourselves to Death." Relax. Retreat. Rethink.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Your life has changed, and you probably don't have time to walk 9 miles a day most of the time. The good news is that since you're working, you can afford a bicycle, a gym membership, time at a swimming pool, whatever works best for you. You can get in a good workout in 30-60 minutes a day.
  • ingoiolo
    ingoiolo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    When I read your story it sounded much like me... I am an investment banker and have been for 10 years now: the first years of 100/120 h weeks really killed my body. Now recovering is very hard, make the lifestyle change as soon as you can!
  • SlimFatYoYo
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice and being thoughtful. I truly appreciate your answers and that you took my problem seriously.

- I can relate with the idea that my work/life (im)balance may be one of the contributing factors. Also the comment by dwjacobs... yes, indeed, I often feel like I am wasting my time. I actually feel guilty for not having properly achieved anything during these 2 weeks (in terms of fitness).

- Since some of you mentioned that, I have a question for you: do you think it is possible to be successful at career AND at the same time have a healthy lifestyle? I am young, but have achieved a very steep career progression so far, promoted twice in less than 18 months and in middle management. I am satisfied with that, but I know it came at a price: time. I know this is a very generic question though, maybe I should post in a new topic. Though here it has to do with my specific case.

- Strength exercise: I remember when I started rock climbing (I did once a week) I got a good strength workout in all muscles, especially the back, and got a bit more in shape than I am now. I was able to plan that into my schedule then. But the problem with that is... it can be dangerous to climb when you are too heavy. Lots of stress on joints, etc. Do you think there is a temporary strength alternative to rock climbing, that I can pursue safely?

( - Unfortunately I live in the UK, where there is a healthcare system called NHS which doesn't take too seriously my kind of fitness issues. In my doctor's eyes, I am perfectly okay but am free to pay loads of bucks for physio... but she thinks I don't need it. Oh, and she didn't even have time to listen to my whole story, unlike this forum. I must admit my experience with healthcare is very negative. )
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    It's water a sudden increase in exercise and your body will retain water. Give it a little time and it will drop off
    ditto

And to answer your question about "success in a carrier AND success in fitness",, this might depend on your definition of success. To me a job/carrier is just a means to have the lifestyle one wants. If the lifestyle you want most is one of accolades and achievements and advances, it may not leave time for lots of fitness, espesxially in the beginning. If the lifestyle you want is one of fitness,family, and fellowship, that may not leave time for a career that requires 12-15 hours of work daily
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    But what worries me is that in the past, no matter how much fat I gained, I was literally able to get rid of it within just a few DAYS of long distance walking. I think I am no more able to do that now.

No one can get rid of all the fat they've gained within a few days. I guarantee that it didn't happen like that in the past, even if it seemed so. I would bet you perceived that incorrectly, and that has led to unreasonable expectations, sending you into a panic when it doesn't happen. So don't worry, it sounds like you're totally normal.
  • SlimFatYoYo
    Options
    Just to let you know...

My nutrition on "healthy days" (i.e. no work, weekends, etc) is usually as follows:
    - 5-8 cups of green tea spread out across the day (usually before or after meals)
    - Breakfast: oatmeal with almond milk, or a grapefruit and some nuts
    - Lunch: anything, usually with rice or pasta
    - Afternoon/Evening snack: a box of blueberries or blackberries, or other healthy fruits
    - Dinner: smaller portion but with lots of proteins, e.g. salmon or egg with a salad

However, on work days I have often not checked what I ate... but may have done something as follows
    - Breakfast: lots of protein, e.g. some egg sandwiches, and a big hot chocolate
    - Lunch: anything that is in the company canteen, can be literally anything, Chinese food, Thai food, Indian food, etc.
    - Dinner: also company canteen
    - I admit I have often snacked in between

I notice that when I am stressed, I tend to check what's in the fridge because eating something soothes and calms me down a bit. Dunno whether I might have exaggerated on that.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Can you bring your own healthy foods to work?
    How much exercise can you get on your breaks?
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know...

My nutrition on "healthy days" (i.e. no work, weekends, etc) is usually as follows:
    - 5-8 cups of green tea spread out across the day (usually before or after meals)
    - Breakfast: oatmeal with almond milk, or a grapefruit and some nuts
    - Lunch: anything, usually with rice or pasta
    - Afternoon/Evening snack: a box of blueberries or blackberries, or other healthy fruits
    - Dinner: smaller portion but with lots of proteins, e.g. salmon or egg with a salad

However, on work days I have often not checked what I ate... but may have done something as follows
    - Breakfast: lots of protein, e.g. some egg sandwiches, and a big hot chocolate
    - Lunch: anything that is in the company canteen, can be literally anything, Chinese food, Thai food, Indian food, etc.
    - Dinner: also company canteen
    - I admit I have often snacked in between

I notice that when I am stressed, I tend to check what's in the fridge because eating something soothes and calms me down a bit. Dunno whether I might have exaggerated on that.

Have you started tracking calories yet? If not, you need to. It doesn't matter how "healthy" your diet is, too many calories = weight gain. Looking at what you have posted above, I would suggest some changes: Save things like the big hot chocolate for an occasional treat (you'd be surprised how fast those liquid calories add up), stop buying food from the company canteen and bring your own from home (maybe treat yourself to one purchased meal on payday, but certainly not every day), add in veggies and experiment to find kinds you like - don't use "I don't like vegetables" as an excuse because you're a big kid now and you can learn to like them, and watch your portions (egg sandwiches -- plural? Two sandwiches could give you 500+ calories easily!!).

As far as going to the fridge when stressed or bored, tracking calories will help with that - you can quickly check and see if you have room for a snack, as well as ask yourself if you are really hungry or not, and then pick some other strategy instead. Go for a walk (maybe 20 minutes, increase your speed, not your time), turn on some music and dance around the office or living room, play minesweeper for 10 minute (oops, just dated myself), read something funny on the internet, etc. It's all about learning healthier habits that YOU WILL STICK WITH.

ETA: there's nothing magical about green tea. If you like it, that's fine, but you'll get the same results by drinking 8 glasses of water … and if your tea is sweetened, there's another hidden calorie culprit.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    4L of water literally weighs 4kgs :smile:

Keep drinking & try to stop worrying. Take things sloooooooowly. I've been on this 'journey' for 21mths now and i still haven't reached the end (I know I never will as it's a forever commitment) but I sure as hell feel a heck of a lot better than I did 2yrs ago.
    I've also been stuck/plateaud (there's no such word but ykwim lol) for 6 months - yes SIX months - but I haven't given up. I just keep on keeping on hoping that some time soon things will start moving again.

This weightloss/healthy living thing is definitely a game of patience. You can do it.
  • 3foldchord
    Options

Have you started tracking calories yet? If not, you need to. It doesn't matter how "healthy" your diet is, too many calories = weight gain.

Log your calories. Watch out for added calories from sweeteners. And, log all the foods you eat. Every day.
    Read the In Place of a Road Map thread....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Yes, if and I stress the word "if", you want it enough to do what it takes to have both a successful career and a healthy life style it can be done. You might have to slow the track you are on some at work to do it but given your age you can still meet all of your goals both in your career and in your health. In fact focusing on reaching your health goals can improve your functioning and further your career path at work.

Keep in mind that with the changes in your life i.e. leaving school for a career, injury, a more sedentary lifestyle. Are not the only things that can affect your ability to lose weight. The stress of a fast track career can do that as well. Stress can cause all kinds of problems including one of the biggest is that if you are distracted by stressors you may be eating more than you realize. Stress hormones can also play havoc. Try adding 20 min a day of purposeful relaxation to your routine. For example, I lose far more weight and feel better when I compensate for a high stress work week by adding a 20 minute soak in the hot tub after a swim or workout.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    You are going to also need to be more consistent with portion control and exercise to see results. Your body changes as you get older. Stuff that worked when you are 22 no longer work as you head into your late 20s.
  • SlimFatYoYo
    Options
    Thanks again!

Regarding calories tracking...

Well, I actually started doing it once very seriously, my "excuse" to stop doing it regularly was that there is so much food where you cannot actually find the calorie count.

In supermarkets, you can always find it on the label, but in a restaurant not. Even if I cooked my own food, I could only guess, right?

Or is there a guide on how to calculate calories for food that you make or eat at restaurants?
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You seem very panicky about all this. Nowhere in your post however I see if you are counting calories. Are you?

It may help you to inform yourself a bit more about how this stuff all works. Read about BMR and TDEE. Read the road map.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • mimieon
    mimieon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks again!

Well, I actually started doing it once very seriously, my "excuse" to stop doing it regularly was that there is so much food where you cannot actually find the calorie count.

In supermarkets, you can always find it on the label, but in a restaurant not. Even if I cooked my own food, I could only guess, right?

Or is there a guide on how to calculate calories for food that you make or eat at restaurants?

In a restaurant it can be hard. You get better at estimating the calories in restaurant food when you have estimated the calories in your own cooked meals a lot, and learned about portion sizes and stuff. Personally I don't go out to eat much and when I do I try to compensate with exercise. It seems to work.

Estimating calories in your own cooked food is simple, you just weigh all the ingredients and count the calories for it. If you have standard recipes for certain meals you eat often you can even save the recipes in myfitnesspal.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Because of your increase in activity, you need to increase your water intake. It's odd, but our body loses more water when it intakes more water -- kind of like your body is trusting you to replenish it quickly, and thus feels safe to let go what it has through metabolic processes and waste management.

Also, it is okay to fluctuate that rapidly in a short period of time. I can do that in a day. We all fluctuate throughout the day as well. Give it time, and I'm sure the weight will come off like it has in the past.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Thanks again!

For food that you make, MFP has a recipe tool. It's under the food tab, then recipes. You enter in all the ingredients and how many servings it makes, and it give you calories and nutritional value, and you can even save it for future use.

Many restaurants have nutritional values online (and for those that don't, other websites like Livestrong have estimates). A lot are also already entered into the database on MFP. And if it's not there, you can find something close (for example, a local chain, Village Inn, doesn't have a lot listed, but it's similar to Denny's and IHOP so I can find something similar at one of those and use that). It's not perfect, but it's better than not logging at all! And, like I've said earlier, don't eat out so much. When you do, split the portion in half before you start, box the other half up and take it home for a later meal.