A Pickle of a Problem

Options
Funny little question, I'm enjoying a Habanero Dill Pickle and reading the nutritional content... well, let's be honest, I'm looking at the calorie count. A serving size is 1 ounce (or half a pickle) and the calorie count is 0. Now I'm wondering if I eat a whole pickle, wouldn't that calorie count still be 0? Or if I ate the entire jar, wouldn't that still be 0 calories? I mean 0 times 20 servings is still 0, correct? But I'm eating something that's going to have some weight and mass to it, so how do I calculate something that is practically 0 across the board but I think they're lying to me. In fact, I know they're lying to me because you see articles all the time of how nutritional labels can be misleading. I just had an entire jar of pickles and believe it's 0 but I know that's wrong. What is going on here?

Replies

• gr8xpectationz
    gr8xpectationz Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't help you there.

I have the same problem with tic tacs. There's really hardly anything in one tic tac, so it registers as "less than half a calorie" or "zero" with an asterisk. But if you eat a box, I'm sure there are some number of carbs and/or calories, right?
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Oh noes! That's your losses screwed for this week - the sodium in pickles is gonna bloat you like a bloaty thing.........
  • kkerri
    kkerri Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I believe 0 can be used if it's less than a calorie (per labeling regulations). So, it could be .8 calories, or .7, or .9, etc. Times one of those by the servings and you will have calories, but they would be low.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Funny little question, I'm enjoying a Habanero Dill Pickle and reading the nutritional content... well, let's be honest, I'm looking at the calorie count. A serving size is 1 ounce (or half a pickle) and the calorie count is 0. Now I'm wondering if I eat a whole pickle, wouldn't that calorie count still be 0? Or if I ate the entire jar, wouldn't that still be 0 calories? I mean 0 times 20 servings is still 0, correct? But I'm eating something that's going to have some weight and mass to it, so how do I calculate something that is practically 0 across the board but I think they're lying to me. In fact, I know they're lying to me because you see articles all the time of how nutritional labels can be misleading. I just had an entire jar of pickles and believe it's 0 but I know that's wrong. What is going on here?

At some point it will turn to actually integers. Zero is at the serving size because it doesn't reach one, so one serving would be maybe .4 of a calorie.

Also you should look at the sodium content. I'm not sure about pickles but I know olives are high in sodium.
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Frankly, if you've just eaten a whole jar of pickles, i'm more concerned about your digestive system than calorie intake at this point! :wink:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    it's about 4 calories a serving so they can get away with rounding down and saying 0.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/3006/2 (serving size small or spear)
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was actually joking about eating an entire jar of pickles. After the 2nd pickle the taste gets worn out and I'm off to something better.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    MMmmmm pickles.
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    mmmm habanero dill pickles sound yummy!!!!!!
  • PrincessMissDee
    PrincessMissDee Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Little American/English translation issue here but I think you mean gherkins? I've just eaten 3 gherkins and the calorie content is logged on MFP under their value per 100g. All of our labels here always have to tell us per 100g so even though 1 gherkin registers as 0 calories, 100g is 19 calories. Work out how much a gherkin weighs and hey presto! You have your answer.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day a pickle is still a cucumber, take a peak at the calories for cucumbers (not a lot) and log that then log like 12 tsp. of straight up salt. :tongue: