Birth control

Options
I've been on so many birth controls this past year and they were horrible. My doctor told me I need to stay on it to regulate my cycle. He warned me that I might gain a few pounds, well I gained 20. My clothes don't fit anymore and I don't feel very comfortable. I'm scared of gaining more weight. My doctor also told me I would have a much more difficult time now that I'm on the pill with losing weight. Well he was right. I've changed my eating habits and everything and nothing is changing. That's why I made an account here. I'm hoping this website helps me out and maybe I can even meet some friends a long the way to help support me in accomplishing my goal of getting back down to 130 pounds. :)

Replies

• Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Best of luck losing the weight with the birth control pills! You might be able to lose it by stopping the medication, though I'm not certain and it would definitely reduce the positives of the pill. Hmm.

I'm rooting for you! :)
  • willow_pillow
    Options
    Thank you. :) My doctor told me I can't stop taking it though unfortunately. I'm just going to have to do the best that I can while I'm on it.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    What kind of 'pill' are you taking? Some of them DO make you put on the lbs - I was on Seasonique for a year (this is the pill where you only have your period 4 times a year) and I put on MAJOR lbs - my Dr. verified that this birth control DOES cause women to gain weight - talk to your Dr. and tell him to put you on a pill that will NOT make you gain weight - there's tons of different pills on the market now......you DO have choices.....
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've been on birth control pills for 4 years and while I have gained weight it's been mostly to my lifestyle. I can't say I blame the pills entirely because last year I was in the best shape of my life before life and stress got out of control.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I was on birth control for about 6 years and I gained some weight initially (I was 120 when I started and my highest weight was 135) but I was able to lose 30 lbs while still on the pill. It really is about being in control of your diet and exercise and not letting the hormonal fluctuations get the best of you. After a while your body and hormones will regulate to the point where your hormones shouldn't really fluctuate very much. Just remember to drink LOTS of water, because birth control can cause water retention when you don't drink enough (not drinking enough water will make your body retain water when you DO drink it), and look into clean eating. Hope that helps! I'll add you in case you need any other help :)
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Be patient. Birth control may make it harder, but it does not make it impossible to lose weight. Stay honest in your calorie counting and exercise and it will come off :smile: you can do it!
  • xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to find a BC pill to suit me for 16 months now, I'm on the 4th brand now, all of them listed weight gain as a side effect, but with healthy eating and increase exercise I've lost 23lbs since January.
    You will get there eventually, Im going to stick with the one I'm on now as it seems to work well for me, there are plenty for you to try, just keep going back to your doctor.
    I agree with a previous post, keep drinking plenty of water.
  • willow_pillow
    Options
    Right now I'm taking Linessa 28 but I was on Yaz for a while before switching because I was gaining weight rapidly on it and I kept hearing scary things about it. Please be careful going on anything that makes your period only come 4 times a year. I was on depo provera (the injection) last year and although I didn't gain weight on that specific brand, I did get my period for 8 months and became very ill. I had to start taking a new birthcontrol to make the bleeding normal again. That doesn't happen to everyone on it but there are tons of other messed up effects that can take place. The risks are just too high. It can even cause bone loss! But yeah I think I'm going to stick to Linessa 28 for the time being because I'm not ready to switch to another birth control again. I also like the fact that my mood has been stable as I have been on birth control before that made me quite emotional. If I don't lose any weight on my diet in the next month or so then I will certainly have to talk to my doctor about the possibility of a new medication. Thank you.
  • willow_pillow
    Options
    Thank you so much youngcaseyer! That makes me feel a lot more comfortable. :) & yeah I definitely will start drinking more water! :D
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm on a generic form of Yaz (Loryna) and I lose weight on it just fine. The first few months on any birth control are terrible, though. Once your hormones regulate themselves, it's smooth sailing. I lose weight better on birth control than when I wasn't on it. You just have to watch your calories in and out.
  • willow_pillow
    Options
    Wow good job! Congratulations! I can't wait to get there! It's so nice to hear all the success stories even on the pill! :D
  • willow_pillow
    Options
    I was on Yaz too and it made me gain more weight than any other pill that I've been on. My gyno said it's the best one but it effects everyone differently.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Like you, I've been on a zillion brands due to a health issue that can be sensitive to steroid hormones.

I found that none of them caused me to gain weight directly, but some of them did totally reduce my energy level and make me far less likely to work out and more likely to lazy-eat junk. I went off the pill for a couple of months and had way more energy (and better libido, FWIW).

My previous health issue has been resolved and I was sick of being tired but absolutely don't want to do any baby-makin', so I just got the Mirena IUD. Too soon to tell how it will affect me overall, it's been about a month, but I do seem to have more energy than I did with the pill. Getting it put in did hurt, but only for a few seconds. I am a HUGE wuss, so if I can handle it, anyone can.
  • zoodocgirl
    zoodocgirl Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Also, Yaz made me a CRAZY PERSON.
  • willow_pillow
    Options
    Thank you all!
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I was on Yaz too and it made me gain more weight than any other pill that I've been on. My gyno said it's the best one but it effects everyone differently.

Yeah, I was on Yaz for a few years, then my gyno had me switch to some other pill after concerns of blood clots on Yaz. I spent 6 months on the other one and begged to be switched back. Those two were the only pills I've tried, but I will never switch from Yaz again. It works for me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I used to take Cilest (one you take for 3 weeks then have a break for a week) and I didn't gain weight, although I think it made weight loss a bit slower.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Are you taking it just to regulate cycles and mood, or also for actual birth control (trying not to get pregnant)? If it is for cycles and mood, I would suggest checking out Dr. Schulze's website. Go to herbdoc.com Look up female formula and female plus. I take both, the female formula most of the month, the female plus when I feel pms rearing its ugly head. I had been on bcp previously, but my doctor recommended that I stop because of my age and risk of death. I had horrible moods and acne, which bcp really helped, but not with the risk of death associated with them. My dr. really stressed the "death" part, lol. Anyway, the Dr. Schule's formulae really help me feel better and do help a bit with the acne. My cycles are very regular, only off by a day most months, almost like being on the pill. You'd think that at my age the acne would be gone, but adult acne is a beast. Yes, it looks expensive, but a bottle generally lasts me over a month, sometimes 2 or 3 months. I only take 1 droppers full a day, 1 droppers full 2x daily of the plus if pms is very bad.