First World Problem & Solution: Squat Butt & Waist Gaps

Options

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am reading this on my Kindle and I can't see the pictures. I have to go look at it on my computer to see them.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bump for the bumz. I could use this.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    A quicker solution to the problem is to stop wearing clothes. :love:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I too have this problem, but I just wear a belt. :tongue:
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Great post and kudos for the tutorial! :flowerforyou:

I did some alterations myself this week. I bought a dress but it didn't fit me properly anywhere. Usually that's a no, obviously, but I looked at it and figured there were some easy alterations I could do myself. I'm very short 5' and the women in my country are an average 5'5"-5'6", so the dress was way too long. I had an elastic at the waist which hit me just below my belly and that wasn't very flattering. So I raised the elastic part to an empire waist, put a few stitches on the back to keep it at the right height, put a belt around it and it was perfect :-) The straps were also too long, so I took them in like you did on the inside below the armpits. I also had to adjust the waterfall neckline a little bit, because it drooped way too low. But all in all it looked really nice! I hadn't worn dresses in over a decade and to feel comfortable in one is a true NSV for me :smile:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet, but people with our "problem" don't buy juniors. Even numbered sizes are your friends. The odd-numbered sizes are for people with less curve. You'll probably still have a gap, but not nearly as much.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I've used this trick for years to alter my skinny son's pants and shorts, but hadn't thought about using it on my own clothes! Then again, I wear yoga pants almost every day. Lycra is my friend.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I never in a million years thought I'd have an issue with this due to having no butt whatsoever and a thick waist. But these days I find myself having the gap at the back of my pants and my jeans actually fit instead of sag in the butt. I'm sure you can guess what has caused this. Lifting weights, of course. :bigsmile:
  • TheOneandOnlyPanda
    Options

This is how it will look from the back when it’s done. Yes, it’s visible, but chances are, if someone is this close to your backside, they’re more concerned about getting IN your pants than any alterations that might have been made TO the pants.

Ha :laugh:
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this yet, but people with our "problem" don't buy juniors. Even numbered sizes are your friends. The odd-numbered sizes are for people with less curve. You'll probably still have a gap, but not nearly as much.
    ^THIS!

Junior sizes (odd sizes) are cut for teenagers who have not yet developed the wider hips of a woman. Flat butt, thigh gap and straight-waisted women often turn to juniors to find clothes with LESS of a waist. Misses sizes (regular even sizes) are cut wider in the hip/butt and narrower in the waist. Personally, I wish they made women's sizes ("W" sizes, AKA plus fit) in smaller sizes because those had a really awesome waist-hit ratio.. Back when I was a size 16, I would often seek out a 14W or 12W instead because they fit so much better. Now I'm a wearing misses size 10/12 and it's annoying that there is no such thing as size 8W. I look great in yoga pants, but jeans and structured pants always have to be tailored. Don't even get me started on the problem of having boobs/bra that sit high on my chest from doing too many push ups and having pec muscles.

Someone needs to start a new line of clothes!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Please don't put candles back there. You could accidentally have a gas explosion.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Oh I need this! Bump!

ps. cute bummm! ;D
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    When you are done if you take the "bunny ears" and iron them flat (like an open triangle - half would be on each side of the dart seam you stitched) then add a few stitches accross the top, the bunny ears will lay down and be invisible.
  • MsMimidoll
    MsMimidoll Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Bump thank you, this has always been a problem, I had a 2girls size difference when I was skinnier
  • Southern_Belle_LA
    Southern_Belle_LA Posts: 931 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I tried on a pair of Ann Taylor Loft jeans and they were snug on the rear and thighs but you could've put TWO of me in the waist. I mean, I know I'm a pretty "extreme" hourglass but I don't know anyone who is actually shaped like that, especially at a "size 4".

I generally just buy clothes that fit, it usually takes trying on 20+ styles to purchase 1, but it works eventually. Might have to try this trick on some pants that I've shrunk out of, though.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    Forget the sewing....I'm in for the booty!

Looking great lady!
  • hannahjames295
    hannahjames295 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for this, I've always had problems with waist gaps, but didn't know how to do a dart!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bumping for the sewing lesson. Thanks!