Fellow Teachers--Need some suggestions

Options
Hi all,

I don't have time to sit down and eat lunch most school days, because I'm working with students. However, I have breakfast at 5:30 am and by lunch I'm starving and very susceptible to all of the junk people bring in. What are your best snack-like foods that you can grab and eat quickly (without heating) while working with students? I'm especially looking for low-prep, protein rich foods that aren't too carby. I'm gluten-free, just to complicate things! I've brought in liver sausage, but it horrified my students! I'm pretty sure that if I want them to come in for extra help, I should bring something else! :)

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Almonds are my go-to snack. I also make protein powder-peanut butter balls (pretty much equal parts pb and protein powder, with enough water to make into a dough-like consistency -- sometimes I will add flaxmeal or oats if I want more carbs). Refrigerate them overnight and they are easy to tramsport and eat. You could also add sweetener, cinnamon, chopped fruit, or anything else you wanted. There are a lot of recipes for low ingredient, low carb homemade protein bars floating around here but I found the peanut butter/protein powder mix works well for me. You could also go with baby carrots or some other bite sized veggies.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I too work in a school- know the feeling! things I tend to snack on are: Raisins, cheese triangles, cheese, nuts (I know you said low carb.. but they are filling and good for you) Rye crackers or porridge cups (gluten free aisle) , Pro-biotic yoghurt drink, veggies and dip, or if you're having something like chicken salad, or stir fry the evening before- make extra to take in a tub.
    Hoping I can stick to it when I go back this week! x
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    String cheese and Baby Bel goudas. Both survive book bags and desk drawers for hours. Never gave an all-day workshop without a couple in the bottom of my bag.
  • CaptainAmerica1970
    Options
    Protein shake! Mixed in your coffee mug or thermos
  • LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm not a teacher, but a student with no lunch break. Classes on my long days are two hours each, so I take a few sticks of string cheese and eat one when I'm lugging my 35-lb (yes, I weighed it, lol) bag of homework and equipment to the next lab/class. On the days when there's a break between classes, I will either do the same, or keep a half a peanut butter sandwich in my car (where I will sit and do homework for an hour, too). And I *always* do a significant breakfast on school days (eggs, cheese, fruit), otherwise I'd never make it, considering I get up at 5:30 and on some days have class or lab as late as 5 p.m.

I'm actually looking for more variety, so I came here more for answers, but it has to be something that can survive in my bag or in the car in 104 degrees. No desk or staff caf access. Not interested in dealing with Student Services, even if I had the time to do so.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    protein shake, peanut butter, and a banana
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Gluten free teachers unite! (I'm one too).

Do you have access to a fridge? I tend to bring a whole bunch of snacks to school with me and eat a little bit in between classes throughout the day, because if I get hungry my concentration goes to hell.

My go-to school snacks are things like nuts, cheese sticks/string cheese, yogurt, tons of fruit, carrot sticks or celery sticks and hummus, boiled eggs. Gluten free granola is good too (I've seen it in my supermarket's gf aisle). I've recently started drinking kefir and I find it very filling, so I could definitely see a little bit of that in a thermos to sip on during the school day.

ETA: I forgot to mention lara bars and luna protein bars. Both are gluten free (be sure to get the luna protein bars though and not the regular luna bars - only the protein bars are gf). Both come in a variety of flavors, can easily be stashed in your desk drawers in bulk, and make for a good, substantial snack. I've seen them in some supermarkets, most health food stores, and you can always buy them online. I always stash one or two of these guys in my purse if I'm not sure when/where my next meal will be - they're a life saver.

Good luck with your school year!
  • musicteacher40
    musicteacher40 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have a fridge in my room (and a microwave & coffee maker)... I bring in my food for the week and usually include protein bars, string cheese, and fruits... I make sure that my fruit is already washed and clean for me to just grab a bit here and there between classes... one or two bites prevents me from starving by the time my "lunch break" arrives... usually end up with about 10 minutes to eat, due to working with students as well (I'm a music teacher, so it's non-stop for me)....

I do understand how easy it is to over do it when we have our "end of the month" pot-lucks....and at Christmas time 5 days worth of pig-out food...Granted, since I've started down this road I've only been dealing with 3 weeks of school, so only time will tell!!!!
  • gretchygirl32
    gretchygirl32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is my suggestion too. I use the spider cup. It's handy because the protein is stored in the cup at the bottom, and I just add/shake/drink during my lunch. It's really the only way I know how to get something in my stomach during that short, fast paced time period.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher as well. I have some fiber, carbs and protein with lots of water before I head off to school.

Lunch I usually have leftovers like chicken breast, broccoli, salad with some fruit.

By 3:30 when the mad rush is over and kids are gone for the day is when I get my crash coming in.

I now pack around 10-20 almonds (less than 240 cals) plus some fruit and vegetables for snacking.

I also find that some pan-fried turkey scallopini breast strips (I think 1:1 ratio for gram to calories) are great to snack on throughout the day. If I have a snack by 2:30 then I am good to go for the rest of the day. If not, I am literally on the staff couch passed out...
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 92 Member
    Options

However, I have breakfast at 5:30 am and by lunch I'm starving and very susceptible to all of the junk people bring in. What are your best snack-like foods that you can grab and eat quickly (without heating) while working with students? I'm especially looking for low-prep, protein rich foods that aren't too carby. I'm gluten-free, just to complicate things! I've brought in liver sausage, but it horrified my students! I'm pretty sure that if I want them to come in for extra help, I should bring something else! :)

I am no expert but isn't it not a good idea to allow yourself to get the point where you are starving? Would you be able to snack on food before lunch? Between 5:30 and lunch (mine starts at 11:45) is a long time to go without food. Could you pace yourself every 3 hrs or so with some protein / carbs?
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone! I do try to grab a snack between classes if I can, but this year my prep hours are after lunch. I'll try the peanut butter (sunflower butter for me) protein powder balls and the various cheese things. I hadn't really thought seriously about bringing a protein shake. I'll have to find a 'spider' cup. It sounds interesting! :flowerforyou:
  • DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone! I do try to grab a snack between classes if I can, but this year my prep hours are after lunch. I'll try the peanut butter (sunflower butter for me) protein powder balls and the various cheese things. I hadn't really thought seriously about bringing a protein shake. I'll have to find a 'spider' cup. It sounds interesting! :flowerforyou:

I buy the Premier Protein Shake premade. It comes in a little juice box.