To scale or not to scale..

OK everyone.. help!! The scale is my worst enemy. I know its horrible but I used to get on the scale every single day.. sometimes twice a day.. I was working out and watching what I ate and there was no change on the scale.. Guess what that meant.. I got frustrated and gave up.. which is why I am here, starting all over again. I have only been back for 2 weeks (almost) and I have not been on the scale yet. I have been busting my butt with these workouts and I have only been over my daily calorie goal once. I know it is too soon to expect drastic weight loss but when do I step on the scale again? How often do i weigh in? I want to be proud of any weight loss whether its a pound or 50 pounds but I am so afraid of that frustration when nothing changes. =(

Replies

• LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    i weigh myself every morning but i know that it will fluctuate and have come to terms with that. if you have an unhealthy relationship with your scale then maybe shove it in the basement and weigh yourself in another two weeks.
    drink lots of water and stick with it and you will have success, it takes time :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Well, you have to understand first that your weight will fluctuate from day to day and that women will almost always gain weight during their menstrual cycle.

Once you understand that, if you cannot mentally take seeing the fluctuations from day to day, then switch to weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. Do not sweat the fluctuations and only pay attention to the overall trend (month to month) as the real measure of progress.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Well, you have to understand first that your weight will fluctuate from day to day and that women will almost always gain weight during their menstrual cycle.

Once you understand that, if you cannot mentally take seeing the fluctuations from day to day, then switch to weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly. Do not sweat the fluctuations and only pay attention to the overall trend (month to month) as the real measure of progress.

^This
  • redrose129
    redrose129 Posts: 57 Member
    After dealing with weighing anxiety and horrible psychological losses and effects, I decided to weigh myself once a month as long as I exercise everyday. If I don't adhere to my oals:: eating or exercise, then I have to weigh in. I have found, since I'm not focusing on the weigh, I've been consistent with my work outs and calorie goals.

I'm considering, now, however, weighing once a week...but i'm not sure. I like how I feel now. less stress and pressure. My pants feel nice and i've been using that as my measure.

i have lost, previously 100 pounds by weighing every week...so, it totally depends on your mental state.
  • I try to keep weighing myself a weekly thing. If I do it daily I get disappointed if the number doesn't change or goes back up. Not cool. So far I haven't been too disappointed with any result I waited a week to see.