Starting Over Again

Options
Hello All,

I am Melody. I am 5'6 and weigh 220lbs. Because of my weight I have high blood pressure and it has been steadly increasing even with the medication I am on. I will follow up with my doctor but in the mean time I decided that there is no time like the present to go ahead and start doing some type of exercise. I have several Tae Bo videos from years ago and they worked for me then when I was only doing it 3x a week and so I have picked it back up. Today was day 1. My goal is to do some type of exercise every day for 30 mins to knock this weight out. As a woman over 40 I know I have to be diligent so wish me luck as I wish the same to all of you.

Replies

• janer4jc
    janer4jc Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    There's a sign at our gym that says "it doesn't take perfection it takes persistence". I like that. The important thing is that you're being active again. 30 minutes a day is a good, realistic goal. I'm sure you'll do well.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hey Mel!

Great attitude you have there! I think every day for 30 minutes a day is an excellent realistic goal. I wish you luck in shedding the pounds and lowering your blood pressure! :) You can do it!
  • debbiewillersveik
    debbiewillersveik Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Glad you are here.... The first big step is making the decision!!! I'm 43 & been plugging away at it since Jan!!! I can't believe how much harder this got with AGE :) but stick around, read inspiring stories & add friends for motivation..... Every little bit helps...YOU CAN DO THIS :) welcome!!!
  • AnotherOrangeCat
    Options
    From another woman over 40 - we can do this! Sounds like you have a very well thought out plan already. Good luck - feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • spammarino
    spammarino Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congrats on decision to start exercising. Good luck!
  • bostonj1
    Options
    Good luck with your program.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Hello All,

I am Melody. I am 5'6 and weigh 220lbs. Because of my weight I have high blood pressure and it has been steadly increasing even with the medication I am on. I will follow up with my doctor but in the mean time I decided that there is no time like the present to go ahead and start doing some type of exercise. I have several Tae Bo videos from years ago and they worked for me then when I was only doing it 3x a week and so I have picked it back up. Today was day 1. My goal is to do some type of exercise every day for 30 mins to knock this weight out. As a woman over 40 I know I have to be diligent so wish me luck as I wish the same to all of you.

You can try the Leslie Samson walking videos from youtube. You can also find many videos there in the Befit channel
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cE1jxDS3HY
  • 123im4u2c
    Options
    Hi Melody.
    I'm Lynda and I would like to welcome you back! I have a couple of concerns regarding you
    working out again. You didn't say what your BP numbers were just that you are fighting high BP.
    Depending on how high it is you may be better off starting out by walking slowly ( leisurely ) for a short distance ,
    and a short amount of time, and then each week picking up your pace and adding 15 min more until you can do a mile.
    In the meantime keep an eye on your BP monitor yourself, during this time you will be conditioning yourself and preparing
    your body for aerobics, cardio, or some strength training. You should also talk to your Dr. and tell him you want to start exercising.

You don't want to push yourself too quickly, go gung ho if you're not ready for it, that's why I suggest the afore mentioned.
    It's ok, I use to be a former instructor when I was younger and a body builder! Knowing your BP #'S is a must. are you Hypertensive,
    or have you been in the danger zone. Are you taking a beta blocker? I have an over active thyroid and it messes with your entire body, I have been sick now for 4 years. I was the victim of a robbery at gun point and developed hyperthyroid afterwards! I was taking about 70 pills per week because every organ in my body was going haywire and the blood was crashing against the walls of my heart. My BP was 185/87 at one point and they thought I was heading towards thyroid storm which could have been fatal if I
    hadn't gotten to the Dr. when I did! They all said a couple of months would have been too late. The reason I said check with your Dr. is to make sure that exercise won't be to much of a strain. Exercise is great for the blood vessel and your heart, and it will help
    lower your pressure as you lose weight, some people get off their meds altogether if they lower their numbers enough!

My advice is to take it slow and ease into it, with your height and weight and BP it's better to be safe than sorry!
    Even starting off at the bare minimum, you will feel yourself getting stronger everyday! If you are not drinking a lot of water which
    will aid in weight loss, start now! Welcome aboard, and best wishes in starting to get healthy again. Lyn