Shake replacement meal ideas

Options
Hi! I am looking for a liquid meal replacement for breakfast or lunch. Just 1 a day. I am wanting one that is also packed with vitamins and protein and prefer low carb. I see that Slimfast has a low carb shake. Has anyone tried it and if so how did it make you feel? Hoping for fullness and an energy boost. Thoughts?:happy:

Replies

• GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    What's your reason for wanting a liquid meal replacement? Liquids will never make you feel as full as food does, so unless you're severely restricted by time or don't have the appetite, I wouldn't recommend one at all.
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The reason is simple, sometimes I dont have the time to sit and eat and I can grab a shake and go. Plus I would be able to get vitamins and such. I have drank slimfast before and it is filling and the vitamins can only help. :) My question was not why do it, my question was to those who do it what kind do you like. Thanks!
  • astange83
    Options
    I use the Body Fortress Chocolate Whey Protein Isolate, add it to a homemade coffee frap that I make keeps me full until lunch. It has 130 calories, and is low in fat and carbs, plus the amount of calories in my drink which totals about 230 calories. 30 grams of protein keeps you full for awhile. I've tried the slim-fast, the powder seems to taste better than the bottles do. A month or 2 ago I bought a 4 pack at work because I was starving, the other 3 still sit under my desk, had a horrible after taste.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am looking for a liquid meal replacement for breakfast or lunch. Just 1 a day. I am wanting one that is also packed with vitamins and protein and prefer low carb. I see that Slimfast has a low carb shake. Has anyone tried it and if so how did it make you feel? Hoping for fullness and an energy boost. Thoughts?:happy:

I've used Slimfast twice this year, short term. I used it for 2 weeks in April while I tried to figure out what to eat for breakfast (and eventually changed it for steel cut oats and chopped apple). I'm actually using it now for about a week to help me get over sugar cravings from the junk food at work. It fills me up somewhat, but I'm not following the Slimfast plan -- I drink a shake and eat it with a bowl of steamed greens and tomato or other fresh vegetables.

Slimfast is sold everywhere but is probably the worst shake you can buy (I'm lazy and only intend to use it for a week). The main ingredient is sugar. It has low protein (2 g or 10 g with a cup of milk). You can buy a much better shake and order it from Amazon. If you search on the forum under Best tasting shakes, you will find several discussions where people list brand name shakes that have better nutrition and higher protein than Slimfast.

Editing this to add I've tried the chocolate powder and thought it tasted fine. I don't drink milk and have used it with vanilla soy milk.
  • barthel2387
    barthel2387 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    At GNC they have ready to go "Lean Shakes" ( kind of expensive... 8 for $15) They come in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry. I buy them and drink them if i am in a rush or not all that hungry. Decently tasted too. Herbalife is another good meal replacement.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I drink Slimfast for lunch or dinner or eat a meal bar and I do Adkins shakes/meal bars in the mornings since I can't have all the sugar in the mornings. I'm diabetic. I don't follow the plan exactly. I usually eat veggies with the shakes and some days I will only drink a shake once a day. It's convenient and a way to keep my calories in check. I have also had the Special K meal bars.
  • LisaWeir74
    LisaWeir74 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love Advocare meal replacement shakes. Chocolate mocha is my favorite!
  • SherryB0081
    SherryB0081 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out Advocare's meal replacement shakes. They have 24 grams of protein and are 220 calories. Really tasty and feeling. I use them in place of lunch somedays, but I know alot that use them for breakfast. I'm a distributor for Advocare, so if your interested let me know and I'll help you out.
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I do Visalus currently (don't sell it, just do the shakes). It's ok. I like Amazing Meal, from the Amazing Grass company (plug them in on Amazon and you will find their stuff. Metabolic Reset from Nature's Way and Spiru-Tein are two other great ones IMO.
  • chantwizzle83
    chantwizzle83 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    No offence, but you're using something packed with sugar to get over sugar cravings from junk food? Slim Fast is THE WORST diet drink ever. You're better off eating a Snickers bar.
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    I make my own...1 cup almond milk, 1/2 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp hemp hearts, 1/2 a banana, 2 tbsp PB2 (could use regular peanut or almond butter), 1/2 cup frozen spinach, 1.5 scoops syntrax nectar vanilla protein powder - blend with ice...if I'm light on calories for the day, I'll add a 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil.

352 calories, 46g protein, 9g fat, 22g carb (8g fiber)
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    No offence, but you're using something packed with sugar to get over sugar cravings from junk food? Slim Fast is THE WORST diet drink ever. You're better off eating a Snickers bar.

If that question was meant for me, the answer is absolutely yes, and it is working well. One scoop of the chocolate powder has 10 g of sugar. A Snickers bar has 27 g of sugar and not the same volume since the powder is mixed with one cup of liquid (I use soy milk instead of milk).

A few weeks ago, I started to eat sweets at my office and found I couldn't stop. Having a chocolate shake twice a day controls what I am consuming. I plan to taper off it after 1-2 weeks. I tried this back in April and it worked really well then, too.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    almond milk
    fruit of choice
    Protein powder (flavor depends on taste and fruit chosen)
    ice
    blend
  • putupurdukes
    putupurdukes Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey, Kim. You posted this so long ago, I don't know if you're still making a decision on this or not but..... I occasionally use Shakeology by Beach Body. Downfall: It's pretty expensive for a pouch but mine lasts a long time. (It's about $130 for a pouch of chocolate.) It calls for a full scoop per drink but I think it can get pretty grainy and I prefer it with about 3/4 scoop. Maybe that's why mine lasts longer. - Well that and the fact that I just use it occasionally. It's very flexible and you just need to remember that the more you add to it, the more calories. Here's how I make mine: 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (about 35 calories if I'm remembering correctly), 3/4 scoop of Shakeology, 2 Tbs of PB2 (which is a powdered peanut butter, 35 calories for the 2 Tbsp), and about 1/2 a frozen banana. Then after I've "whirred" it in the blender, I add more ice to thicken it. It's REALLY good and keeps me very full. It's full of great nutrition and not sugar. They have a green berry, a vanilla, a strawberry and chocolate. I haven't looked at their website for awhile and some of the formulations were changing. I believe SOME or MOST are vegan now. Cecilia also drinks it. For awhile, I was getting the autoshipments (which makes it cheaper) but I wasn't drinking it fast enough so stopped BUT Cecilia gets it that way. The last time I got it, I just bought her shipment because she was running into the same problem. If you decide you want to try it you might check with her. PS It has an added benefit. It helps with regularity. :)
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    At GNC they have ready to go "Lean Shakes" ( kind of expensive... 8 for $15) They come in Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry. I buy them and drink them if i am in a rush or not all that hungry. Decently tasted too. Herbalife is another good meal replacement.

I drink the Lean Shakes too ... they're a good option. They filled me up enough for lunch and only 170 calories. I switch between those and AdvantEdge shakes... they have like 17 g of protein I wanna say and only 110 calories and fill me up. I've lost the extra few pounds I really wanted to since I switched to drinking those for lunch
  • Amberh82
    Amberh82 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I like Shakeology - the Chocolate one is really good. Hated the vanilla. There is a new strawberry one out there as of this week (that I've heard is really good...probaby next for me to try). (Watch out for the vegan options, they gan be a bit grainy). It is packed with healthy ingredients, has a lot of protein, low in net carbs. (I do not work for beachbody and am not trying to sell it). It has kept me healthy when everyone else was getting sick....so to me, it is worth the $130 a bag. and I do not use an entire bag a month....

I also use the GNC Total Lean 25 shakes. I've used the powder, not the premade ones. so far, my favorite is cookies and cream, mixed with real strawberries!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I would rather eat a protein bar than drink a shake. Takes longer to consume, and more satisfying. Just as portable.