Eating makes me sick....

Options
Hey so I am new to this topic board.... I think I might have a problem because for the past week or so I have been getting sick after every thing I eat. My diet consists of chicken, salads, chewy bars and other healthy foods. I am taking vitamins and I don't know what's up. Does anyone have any advice or a clue as to why I'm getting sick?

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    sounds like some kind of food poisoning or stomach flu. they're not always "camp out in the bathroom" level of severe... milder ones can give you a low levels of sickness and/or diarrhoea that doesn't seem that bad but doesn't go away easily

follow the BRAT diet (I think it's bananas, rice, apples, toast) and get plenty of fluids. Also probiotics may help, i.e. good bacteria to fight off whatever bug you've got

if you've recently added anything to your diet that you've never eaten before, you could try eliminating that for a while and see if it helps as it could be an allergy or intolerance
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    It also could be an ulcer.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    See a doctor
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    twenty-five year old female, getting sick when eating food, see a doctor. Maybe anything from a baby to food poison
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    are you having diarrhea?
  • willow_pillow
    Options
    Hey there! I recently had the same problem. Do certain foods make it hurt more than others? If it is an ulcer than acidic foods are likely to hurt more. I've heard tomatoes hurt quite a bit when you have an ulcer. I originally thought that was what was going on with me. I discovered though that in my case, it was the gluten. Celiac disease or gluten intolerance can appear at any point of your life and gluten is in so many foods that you wouldn't even expect it to be in. I recommend getting some brown rice. That shouldn't hurt your stomach. If you feel fine after eating it then gradually add more foods in and see how they affect you. You can likely determine what's happening on your own by seeing if some foods are make your stomach hurt and some don't. If all foods are painful (even brown rice) then see a doctor. Well, you should see a doctor anyway, it just might be easier if you have some idea first.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Go get your gallbladder checked.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    See a doctor

This
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Go get your gallbladder checked.

Yeah, go see a doctor.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Could be all in your head.You are trying to lose weight and you make be making your self feel sick psychosomatically.

See all of the different responses, we don't know you, your health go see a doctor.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Vitamins make me sick. I've never been able to take them.
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    vitamins make me sick. so does dairy, and too much wheat. hope you get to the Doctor soon. they told me, it's process of elimination, to find out what is bothering me.
    good luck
  • msjersey73
    msjersey73 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    also, artificial sweeteners make me so horribly sick.
  • Beachbody4life
    Options
    sounds like some kind of food poisoning or stomach flu. they're not always "camp out in the bathroom" level of severe... milder ones can give you a low levels of sickness and/or diarrhoea that doesn't seem that bad but doesn't go away easily

follow the BRAT diet (I think it's bananas, rice, apples, toast) and get plenty of fluids. Also probiotics may help, i.e. good bacteria to fight off whatever bug you've got

if you've recently added anything to your diet that you've never eaten before, you could try eliminating that for a while and see if it helps as it could be an allergy or intolerance

Thanks for the advice. I think I might try that diet for a few days to try and work anything out of my system.
  • Beachbody4life
    Options
    It also could be an ulcer.
    Why do you think it would be an ulcer?
  • Beachbody4life
    Options
    twenty-five year old female, getting sick when eating food, see a doctor. Maybe anything from a baby to food poison
    Well I know it's not a baby... I guess it could be food poisoning and I'll set up an appointment to see my doctor. Unfortunately he has been on his honeymoon for the past two weeks.
  • At your age I would go to the doctors it could be vitamins making you sick, a stomach bug, gallbladder, or something really serious. It is just best to make a quick trip to the doctors to make sure.
  • Beachbody4life
    Options
    Hey there! I recently had the same problem. Do certain foods make it hurt more than others? If it is an ulcer than acidic foods are likely to hurt more. I've heard tomatoes hurt quite a bit when you have an ulcer. I originally thought that was what was going on with me. I discovered though that in my case, it was the gluten. Celiac disease or gluten intolerance can appear at any point of your life and gluten is in so many foods that you wouldn't even expect it to be in. I recommend getting some brown rice. That shouldn't hurt your stomach. If you feel fine after eating it then gradually add more foods in and see how they affect you. You can likely determine what's happening on your own by seeing if some foods are make your stomach hurt and some don't. If all foods are painful (even brown rice) then see a doctor. Well, you should see a doctor anyway, it just might be easier if you have some idea first.
    Does any one else in your family have gluten intolerance? Also what exactly is gluten intolerance? Does that mean you are allergic to it?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    allergy and intolerance are slightly difference.... allergy is when the immune system attacks a particular harmless substance, thinking it's a pathogen. Food intolerance is where your digestive system isn't making a particular enzyme so the food doesn't get digested and so make you ill.

It's unlikely to be a wheat intolerance if you were able to digest wheat just fine before. If it is an allergy or intolerance then it's likely to be something you've recently added to your diet. Someone mentioned vitamins... some people don't react well to some kinds of vitamin pills, if this started happening just after you started getting healthy, then did you also start taking any vitamin supplements?

I agree re seeing a doctor, because there are a lot of possibilities and also doctors need to rule out more serious possible causes first, before making any diagnosis. People on the internet can't do that. If your regular doctor's away, is there another doctor at the same practice you could see instead?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well I know it's not a baby... I guess it could be food poisoning and I'll set up an appointment to see my doctor. Unfortunately he has been on his honeymoon for the past two weeks.

i'm pretty sure there is more than one doctor in the whole world....