Exercising while feeling unwell

Options
Hi all,

I've only recently started a proper exercise and healthy eating regime and have been loving it. The first three weeks went by with me going to the gym 3-5 times a week. My husband is an ex athlete and made many a comment that I needed to be careful not to push myself too hard as my immune system would be lower and I could make myself sick. I ignored him. Last Tuesday I retired to bed with what I thought was a migraine in the evening, only to come down with a horrible sickness bug for the next week. It's now one week on exactly and I still feel pretty terrible, although thankfully the worst seems to have moved on, leaving me with a dreadful cold that makes me feel like my head is going to explode.

The question is, are the two likely to be linked? Also, when is it safe to go and exercise again? I miss the gym. I never thought I'd say that, but I do. I want to go back, but I don;t want to make myself feel worse. Also, quite frankly, doing chores like the washing at the moment exhaust me, so I'm not sure how I'd survive the gym right now.

I'm absolutely devastated. If anyone can please offer some words of wisdom, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Replies

• zombieyoshi
    Options
    Personally, I think it's more likely you picked up a bug at the gym. Our gym had a nasty stomach bug go around last winter, if you don't already, just make sure you wash your hands well before you touch your face, and get a water bottle that you don't have to touch the mouth piece to drink or open it.

As for going back to working out, do it when you feel ready, if you can't do chores you might not be able yo work out very well either, lol. When you do go back to the gym, start out slow, take it easy for the first couple days to make sure your all better.

And make sure you hydrate really well before going back, since illnesses can cause you to get dehydrated.

Hope you feel better soon!