20-something 'big girl' with dreams larger than my butt.

Options
"Melissa? Hmmm...Melissa. No, I dont know who you're talking about. What does she look like?"

"Melissa, the heavy-set girl."

"Ooooh, Melissa!"

Melissa wasn't the blonde girl, the chick with the quick wit, the one who was good with her patients...not even the girl with the bright green stethoscope and the sparkly nametag holder. She's the big, chubby, large, full-figured, hefty one that slunks around the hospital with the fake grin...perpetually attempting to cloak her spare tire with her mens 3x lab jacket that's still just a teensy bit too snug.
Yup, that's me. Melissa. Not only is 'big girl' the only description that will render a notion of who I am to my acquaintances; I'm a fetish, a commodity, a last resort at closing time. That's how the universe views a woman with more padding than your average super model. However, I can't say that I'm angry about it. I certainly don't see myself as these things, nor do my close friends and family. I know there is much more to me than fat, and I was born ready to shed my layers and give people a chance to see the girl under this extra weight.

So yes, if you've ever been the big girl (or big guy), or even if you haven't, send me a friend request and a message. Let's quit lamenting and take some action to improve our lives!

Replies

• Harborjay
    Options
    That's probably one of the best intros I've read in a while... welcome to MFP.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Truly beautiful introduction! I'm glad you sent me a friend request. <3

So you work in a hospital? I wanted to work in a hospital, but I've been rejected by two so far. Got a BS in Biology and I really want to go into stem cell research, but working in a lab would make me super happy!
  • lmlmrn
    lmlmrn Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Welcome Melissa! So glad you are here :happy: I am sure you will find, as I have, a very supportive community of guys and gals!
  • ATCritch
    ATCritch Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Awesome intro! Feel free to add me for further support!
  • eringetsfit
    eringetsfit Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You've got a great attitude, i loved your introduction! Hope we can help motivate each other!
  • heypeachy
    Options

So you work in a hospital? I wanted to work in a hospital, but I've been rejected by two so far. Got a BS in Biology and I really want to go into stem cell research, but working in a lab would make me super happy!
    cc

Darrelkun, I read your intro before posting this and the part about walking through campus behind your friends seemed like a page out of my own story. I remember I signed up for a chicago history class in which we toured some major landmarks in the city. On one fieldtrip, our bus dropped us off at the wrong stop about 1.5 miles from our destination...and to make matters worse, it was the hottest day of the summer. Keeping up with the rolling pace of my classmates left me exhausted, breathless, red faced and in pain. I was so mortified when I finally caught up with the group as they were boarding the tour boat...everyone asked me if I was okay because I was breathing so hard and my face was beet red. Ill probably always remember that day and how awful it was in every imaginable way.
  • heypeachy
    Options
    Oh, and dont get discouraged if you dont get into a hospital right away. Health care field jobs are getting just as hard to land as any other job these days :/
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options

cc

Darrelkun, I read your intro before posting this and the part about walking through campus behind your friends seemed like a page out of my own story. I remember I signed up for a chicago history class in which we toured some major landmarks in the city. On one fieldtrip, our bus dropped us off at the wrong stop about 1.5 miles from our destination...and to make matters worse, it was the hottest day of the summer. Keeping up with the rolling pace of my classmates left me exhausted, breathless, red faced and in pain. I was so mortified when I finally caught up with the group as they were boarding the tour boat...everyone asked me if I was okay because I was breathing so hard and my face was beet red. Ill probably always remember that day and how awful it was in every imaginable way.

Oh that's so sad. ; ; I know that embarrassment and shame. Nobody should have to go through with that.

And thank you for the words of encouragement. :)
  • NikkiG_87
    Options
    Request Sent! Everyone else feel free to add me too, I'm 24 and trying to loose about 70 lbs.
  • x0_deano_0x
    Options
    hey that's a really good intro . i'm a bit the same.
    "deano? which one was he? "
    "the dude with the goatee, long hair . the bigger guy"
    "ohhh yeah he was nice"

good luck with the weight loss i'm starting fresh today

:D
  • shellsies93
    Options
    i'm with ya girl! in school I was always "that fat chick in the back of the class". The first time I sat in the front of the classroom some guys said I was too fat that he couldn't see the board so I always sit in the back..even now that i'm in college i'm too afraid that it will happen again!

And i'm with everyone else, that was an amazing intro. We can do this! :)
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Great Intro, I've always been the big guy and I'm getting a bit over it so I've decided to become the "fit" guy or the "ripped" guy instead it feels great to push yourself to change and realise your gonna achieve it.
    Anyone feel free to add me, Would love some more MFP friends, especially those that log everyday.
  • Jolie_K
    Jolie_K Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Request sent! Like your attitude :)
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    I want to hit the 'like' button
  • Saoirse90
    Options
    The way people have referred to you really strikes a chord with me- repressed childhood memories flooding back! You seem like you have a great attitude towards your goals! I'm hospital based too (med student!) and it does hurt when people judge your scrub size rather than skills. We are more than our weights :)
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    That's probably one of the best intros I've read in a while... welcome to MFP.

Agreed! :-)

Welcome!!

Brilliant Intro!

Good luck with your dreams! X
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Love your intro :) Welcome to MFP! Sending you a request
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Sending an FR...great intro!
  • Maxbert_SA
    Maxbert_SA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Brilliant intro - good for you.

I got Max, the fat bloke who tells jokes all the time.

Oh well, I'll soon just be "that funny guy, Max".
  • derhz
    Options
    What a beautiful post! Definitely adding you! Lets reach our dreams together!