Chronic Pain and Exercise

Options
I had shingles a few years back and have beed suffering with the pain ever since. I've grown used to it and am managing my life around it. But - when I first got shingles I was a size 10, now, three years later, I'm a size 18.

Are there any other pain suffers out there? What are your stories? Have you had success losing weight? How have you managed to exercise?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about pain, just eat at a caloric deficit.

Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Exercise = fitness

I have plantar fasciitis... which is pain on the foot right where the arch and heel meet. I've got it mostly under control now and I'm back to exercising, but it had no affect on my ability to maintain a calorie deficit, other than the fact I couldn't eat my exercise calories back since I wasn't exercising.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight, you need to eat less than what you burn. Set your activity level to sedentary and stick to the budget you are given. If you have pain, work around it if you want to exercise. I have chronic knee pain from an accident 30 years ago. You either learn to deal with it and get on with your life or you can sit on the couch and feel bad about it. Your choice.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    First, anyone with a chronic disease can chose to let the illness control their life - or you can take control over your life. It sounds you have told your chronic pain if it is going to be part of you - it is on your terms, and that is a powerful statement.

Second, don't look at this as a diet, or weight loss program. This is really a change in lifestyle. There are simple thing to do - such as walking 30 min per day. Modify what you put in your mouth to an appropriate amount of calories. (Make sure some of it is calorie dense - so you feel full longer).

Walking is not only good for your physical well being, but also the emotional well being. And as you learn more and more about exercise and modification of what you eat - you will make progress.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I lost weight because I was in pain. I couldn't do much, I was home on the couch a lot and taking painkillers. Nothing was fun because I was in pain all the time. It was a short term pain ( about six months) and I made a decision: if I'm going to be miserable for a while I may as well lose those pesky 10 pounds I've been thinking about for years. I ate at a calorie deficit, and it worked.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I have fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and hypothyroid but have manag3d to lose 115 in the last 3 yrs so it is possible.not easy but possible. When I first started I did about 10 mins of swimming or walked 1/2 a block I just kept increasing and adding to my exercise very slowly.just try to do a little bit.good luck and yes you can lose weight without exercing though it does help. Feel free to add me
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Don't believe anyone who says you don't need to exercise to lose weight and be healthy. The only way to lose fat and not lean body mass in the process is to do exercise, cardio and strength training. If you don't exercise you will end up flabby and in larger size than someone who preserved their lean body mass with exercise.

Exercise can actually reduce some types of pain. I had knee and hip pain until I started exercise. Now I am pain free. It was sitting on my backside that was causing the pain.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    That sounds awful! Sorry you are dealing with that! Have you spoken to a doctor and tried any medications, either traditional or alternative, to help with the symptoms?
  • rkasper22
    rkasper22 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia at 19, so in a way, i get it. i've never felt pain quite like chronic fibro pain, and it impacts EVERYTHING. energy to shower, hang out with friends, sitting comfortably on the couch... EVERYTHING. so i get it.

my suggestions, if i may be so bold? treat yourself with gentleness. i started struggling with emotional eating when i got diagnosed, and gained 60lbs. every time i push myself too hard physically, i pay for it pain-wise, which creates a viscious cycle with emotional eating. exercise in a way that makes you feel better, or at least, less painful. walking is good! it really can be all you need. as you get more physically fit, you might be able to do more. but most importantly? just love yourself and be gentle with yourself. weight loss really comes from keeping muscles engaged and eating healthfully in a way that supports your caloric needs. build up gently and don't push yourself too hard. you are already carrying so much on your shoulders.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Don't believe anyone who says you don't need to exercise to lose weight and be healthy. The only way to lose fat and not lean body mass in the process is to do exercise, cardio and strength training. If you don't exercise you will end up flabby and in larger size than someone who preserved their lean body mass with exercise.

Exercise can actually reduce some types of pain. I had knee and hip pain until I started exercise. Now I am pain free. It was sitting on my backside that was causing the pain.

I respectfully disagree. If you lose weight TOO FAST, you will lose lean mass as well as fat. If you lose weight at a sensible pace, you will lose mostly fat. For losing weight, what you put in your mouth is what is important. If you are physically able to exercise, great. If not, that's OK too.
  • VickiDiane22
    VickiDiane22 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from chronic pain. I have Fibromyalgia, Degenerative Arthritis, I had Knee replacement in May. I found a DVD on Stretching and Strength exercises done from a sitting position and started there along with my medications. I just decided I had to work through the pain Doubt I'll ever run a marathon or anything but I am more active than I was. Also taking my dog for a walk everyday has gotten me off the sofa. Is the pain gone? No I just choose to be more active in spite of it. Do the best you can even small changes make you feel better about yourself!!
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis. I do strength training 3 days a week and light cardio on rest days. When I was sedentary I had aches and pains all day long every day. Now that I have a regular exercise routine the pains are few and far between.

I have days when I don't feel up to exercising - typically I exercise anyway. In my mind I'm trading an hour of discomfort (during exercise) for a week of pain free living. That's a fair trade off in my opinion.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I use to take tramadol daily till I started my diet, lost weight and pain..its gone
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I respectfully disagree. If you lose weight TOO FAST, you will lose lean mass as well as fat. If you lose weight at a sensible pace, you will lose mostly fat. For losing weight, what you put in your mouth is what is important. If you are physically able to exercise, great. If not, that's OK too.

Plus IMHO and experience, I ate higher protein so didn't lose a lot of lean muscle mass. Grant you, I like the look of lifting weights and doing squats, but there are times it is near to impossible.

I lost 35 the first time around and 15 or so this time. This time in deficit only. Now that my pain level is down, I will be adding back in light lifting, squats, wall push ups and walking.

Good luck OP I know you can do this!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Everyone's pain experience and activity potential is different.
    Shingles is an extremely painful disease that can cause permanent nerve damage, weakness and paralysis.

OP you can lose weight by eating at a deficit.
    I would encourage you to participate in activity as you are able.
    Any weight bearing activity, even walking, will help to maintain bone density and muscular strength.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    Everyone's pain experience and activity potential is different.

So true. I have fibromyalgia and subluxing patellas (my kneecaps pop out). My exercise tends to be a bit of a win-lose situation, haha. Exercising helps ease the fibro, but once I get excited about not having much fibro pain, it always ends in me having to back off again due to my knees acting up. Some days I limp around in pain because I squatted once the previous day, and sometimes I'm fine. I never know day to day.

OP: do what you're comfortable with. See what you can manage without going too far. Don't worry if you can't do what everyone else can. I'd love to run a marathon, but until I have my knees replaced I can only do the occasional 5k if I'm feeling up to it. At this point, your competition needs to be yourself, not anyone else :) Walking and swimming are great low-impact forms of exercise that I've had a lot of success with. Find what works for you and keep at it. Don't let your pain discourage you. Learn your limits and work within them while pushing them when you can :)
  • JavaDream
    Options
    Thank you all. It is good to see I have a connection with others who understand chronic pain. I do what I can in regards to being less sedentary. In a past life (15 years ago) I used to teach yoga. I can tell you I miss the yoga more than I dislike the weight.

I began yoga at a time when I had undiagnosed muscle pain. I went for many years with the default diagnosis of Fibromayalgia. The stretching and strength building of yoga was the only comfort I could find. I later found out that I had a rare genetic condition that was the cause of my muscle pain.

So now, when I feel pain, my habit and instinct is to stretch into it. After all, that's how I've been able to manage pain for so many years in the past. But now - with nerve damage along my right side - stretching increases the pain - so much so I can't sleep at night.

I have to watch myself - sometimes I find myself stretching into the nerve pain without even being aware that I started to! To think, a habit I strived so hard to create is now no longer a comfort but a pain in the side (literally:-)!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    It is great that you are reaching out. As many have said, the good news is you can lose weight with a caloric deficit using MFP to log all your food.

If and when you feel you can, then you can walk or add some sort of exercise.

Hope you're having a painfree day:flowerforyou:
  • JavaDream
    Options
    Everyone is so nice! Thank you:flowerforyou:
  • roadmapmaker
    roadmapmaker Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I feel your type of pain also. I have CRPS/RSD in my right arm and hand due to surgery complications. Confused nerve pain signals that are really hard to keep under control. My father suffered horribly with post herpatic nueralgia (PHN) and for several years was basically incapacitated. Try doing some resistance band therapy.

You might also look at the medication - the lyrica - pregambilin and neurotin also are big gainers. I am taking Lyrica and it does tend to make one hold onto weight. Log your foods and stay as active as possible! :heart:
  • Di6154
    Di6154 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I too am learning to live with chronic pain from damage to the nerve root at L4L5, L5S1. I was doing great getting rid of the extra weight when the last epidural wore off and left me in level 10 pain not giving a care about anything. Lyrica and Tramadol have been added to my regime, but even in the water (my goto exercise) the pain is there and when I get back onto terra firma I can hardly walk.

I started logging food again today hoping to get back on the plan drop the regained weight and lose more. I look forward to exchanging with this group.

-di