30-40 lbs lost in your 1st yr-Nothing over 40 lbs please.

Options
9/25/13 makes my MFP 1 yr anniversary..I am down 32 lbs. I wanted to be at 40 lbs lost by my year goal but I have had several set backs and lucky if I get to 35 lbs lost by that day. It is only a few wks away. I know that everyone loses at diff speeds etc..but....I see alot of people on here that have lost like 50-100 lbs or more in a year and I am sitting here at a little over 30...It is kind of an embarrasement for me instead of a victory. I can say that my blood pressure meds have been lowered, I am no longer anemic & I started out walking for about 15 min a day for 3 days a week and now if I really push myself I can go 1 hr 5-6 days a wk. I have learned ALOT in a year and so happy to have MFP in my life. I just want to get over this down feeling because I am not at a bigger # lost. Anyone know how I feel?

Replies

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    My one year MFP anniversary is coming up in a week and I have lost around 45 pounds in that time (sorry, it is over 40 pounds).

I have to say, though, that your perception that your loss is an embarrassment instead of a victory saddens me.

Why in the world would you feel that way? You have worked very hard to achieve what you have achieved. Thirty-two pounds doesn't just fall off without a lot of effort, both in controlling what you eat and in improving your activity level.

You said yourself that in the last year you have:
    a) lost 32 pounds
    b) lowered your blood pressure medication
    c) reversed your anemia
    d) increased your walking from 45 minutes a week to 5-6 hours per week

I'm sorry to say that I do not know how you feel, not because I have lost more than 32 pounds in the past year, but because you don't seem to be able to congratulate yourself on all the hard work you have done.

Please be kind to yourself and worry less about the eight pounds you haven't yet lost and instead concentrate on the thirty-two pounds that you have.

You should be proud of yourself! Celebrate your achievement! Well done!
  • Sporks42
    Sporks42 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    What they said, but also, one year ago you were 32 pounds heavier, you may have fallen short of your original goal, but you're still in the green!
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you lost faster you might have loose extra skin.:flowerforyou:
  • Belinda658
    Belinda658 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Slw and steady wins the race! I had all these goals when I first started to lose 40lb in a year. That's not happening. I spent quite awhile at 13lbs lost and will be very happy if I'm at 20 lost by my year up
  • strawberriekt24
    strawberriekt24 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I hit my year of logging consistently (joined in 2011, fell off the wagon for awhile) on 8/8. In that time, I lost 32 lbs as well. In the 3 weeks since then, I've lost 5 more lbs so I'm up to 37 now. It's nothing to be ashamed of! You have stuck to it when many people crash and burn, or worse, keep telling themselves they need to do something but never do. You have reversed health problems! You have done amazing!

To me, the slower weight loss was worth it because it seemed more sustainable to me for the long run- I still was eating everything I loved rather than cutting x or y out (albeit measuring my portions of these things), and I wasn't going to the gym for hours at a time (which I would dread and not do after awhile).

I hope that you can look on what you've accomplished as a victory eventually, because truly it is- it's not all about the number on the scale!
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You have made steady progress and so many positive changes you should be very proud of yourself. Look at it this way. Sometimes the people who lose quickly don't keep the weight off and you are! I say well done!
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I think I lost about 40lb in the first year. It was different for me, because I'd deliberately aimed to lose slowly for various reasons. I do think there are advantages to losing slowly. As somebody said above, it's more sustainable. I felt I had to diet in a way that I could keep up indefinitely, through maintenance. It's unusual for people to successfully lose a lot of weight and keep it off long term - it's keeping going with it that's the difficult part, and you seem to have nailed that. You shouldn't feel embarrassed at all!
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Don't let the calendar dictate your success or failure -- it is really quite irrelevant on your journey towards better health. You are better than you were and so long as you do not quit -- you are still making progress towards your goal.

Celebrate your 32 pound loss and think when you look back to this point when you reach your goal.
  • sophiemama
    sophiemama Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My one year will be mid october. I thought I would be further along too. I had to rethink my goals. I only have about four lbs left to go, but I've been losing weight so slowly these last few months it will probably take me till October to get rid of these last four :sad: sometimes I do feel a bit silly when I see my ticker next to someone who has lost so much more than me in half the time. But hey I fought hard to lose those 32 lbs! Gotta be proud
  • pkoll
    pkoll Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My one year anniversary is 9/24. I've lost 31 pounds. It doesn't seem like much next to some people, but I'm thrilled to be at this point. It is better than a year ago!
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I just passed the one year mark and am up to 32 pounds lost. Although I would have liked to be at goal by now I'll take 32 pounds. It's much better than 0. It will take a little longer but I'm okay with that. As long as I keep progressing. Plus I'm kinda freaked out about maintenance once I do hit goal.
  • Panda_Rolls
    Panda_Rolls Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    You've made life changes instead of starving yourself for a few months and then gaining it all back. Good for you! The fact that your medication is down is awesome, just keep going with those life changes and you will eventually reach your goal.
  • GymPoet
    GymPoet Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You not only lost 32 pounds, you lost the 32 pounds that you didn't gain.
  • Imcharmed
    Imcharmed Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My one year MFP anniversary is coming up in a week and I have lost around 45 pounds in that time (sorry, it is over 40 pounds).

I have to say, though, that your perception that your loss is an embarrassment instead of a victory saddens me.

Why in the world would you feel that way? You have worked very hard to achieve what you have achieved. Thirty-two pounds doesn't just fall off without a lot of effort, both in controlling what you eat and in improving your activity level.

You said yourself that in the last year you have:
    a) lost 32 pounds
    b) lowered your blood pressure medication
    c) reversed your anemia
    d) increased your walking from 45 minutes a week to 5-6 hours per week

I'm sorry to say that I do not know how you feel, not because I have lost more than 32 pounds in the past year, but because you don't seem to be able to congratulate yourself on all the hard work you have done.

Please be kind to yourself and worry less about the eight pounds you haven't yet lost and instead concentrate on the thirty-two pounds that you have.

You should be proud of yourself! Celebrate your achievement! Well done!

This.

Well done on your achievement so far, as said so e people would've given up. So give yourself a round on applause. Your doing fab.
  • teachmom32
    teachmom32 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    At 8 months in, I'm only down roughly 20 pounds. So, if the pattern holds, I will lose about 30 pounds this year. I have a total of 65 pounds I'd like to lose from when I started. I've been frustrated that I haven't lost weight more quickly, too. However, when I look at people who have lost a lot of weight quickly, I don't always know their back stories. I don't know if they had surgery to lose the weight, if they are doing it in a dangerous way like super low calorie, if they were morbidly obese to begin with, etc.

I know that in the past I've lost weight quickly through Weight Watchers and then gained it all back and then some. This time I vowed not to do it that way and to lose in a sustainable way. This time, I care more about inches, exercise, and the way I look and feel. I actually put the scale in the closet and stopped obsessing about it. Now I weigh myself once a month instead of daily or weekly. I put my bodymedia band in the dresser drawer and stopped obsessing about every little calorie burned. That is not sustainable. I'm not willing to wear an armband for the rest of my life. I'm not willing to wake up at 4 a.m. to exercise for 2 hours everyday. That is not my reality.

I am willing to log my food, to eat around 1700 calories, to exercise 30 minutes a day with cardio half the time and strength half the time. I'm willing to do all of this to lose the weight slowly in a way that I can actually keep it off.

Good luck to you in your journey. I'm willing to take another year or even two to ultimately get where I want to be. No matter how long it takes, the end result in your health and how you feel when you look in the mirror will be worth it.
  • ReneeReiser
    ReneeReiser Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I started MFP October 2012. My one year is almost here and I really wanted to lose more than 40 lbs. I've lost 33 lbs. I know I still have a little time, but for me, it's very hard to lose even just one pound. I don't lose weight as fast as others do. Like you, I've come a long way with exercise. Looking back at where I was last year, lost and not knowing where to start, well, it just makes me smile.
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I think about all the years in my life where I gained and didn't even care. I still have until December, so I've started pushing hard again, but I'm still around 30 pounds down in 8 months. 32 pounds lost is a big deal. Congrats!
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! Be proud of what you have accomplished!

I'll just ditto minizebu (your first response) for brevity. It was well put.

I did lose more than 40 pounds my first year (it was actually about 55 pounds in about 7 or 8 months), BUT I then plateaued for 10 more months. Then I began losing again. Overall, I'm a slower loser (I guess I average just over 40 pounds a year), and now that I've come this far, I wouldn't do it ANY other way. There is so much to change in your head - I really had no clue that it would be this much mental for me. Even though I wasn't happy with how I looked before, I *thought* I was pretty happy with myself and my life. I was so wrong. I didn't know...what I didn't know. I finally got to the level of exercise that I have always wanted to do, and this has been an absolute dream come true for me. I have thoroughly enjoyed the ride so far, and I'm going to continue enjoying it. THIS part - the knowing about the mental changes and the knowing how much I'm enjoying the ride - has come during my second wave of weight loss, which has been slower than the first wave.

This slow, I have found my strength, and I know it's for good.

So keep at it, enjoy what you have done, and what you have yet to do.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!